Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump do you go through??

Options
Orio Kid
Orio Kid Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since starting out with the egg in December,I have gone through 6 bags of charcoal. (Yes, I have been holding out on some of my less successful cooks.) How much does everyone else use? Is this excessive? Do I buy lump by the pallet, or what?
Thanks,
Jake

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Orio Kid, I use on a average about 15 lbs a week. I use Ozark Oak delivered to me once by a friend from Arkansas. He brought me 40 10 lb. bags. I intend to get it shipped in pallet loads to divide up amongst locals if we get organized. Then its 2.29 per 10-lb bag..plus shipping overland freight.[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Orio Kid,
    I go through about three 20 lb. bags a month. Down from one per week. if I had me a big ol shed, I would buy it by the pallet, but I usually just pop out to the store and buy 2 or 4 bags at a time.[p]Your consumption rate does not seem excessive. Quite normal for one that has a passion for Qing![p]Cheers
    nB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Orio Kid,[p]I typically go through about a bag every other week. I dont cook a TON of stuff but enough I guess. If you cook a lot of steaks your consumption will go up as the high heat cooks really burn up the lump. If you cook a lot of slower stuff your lump will last you a bit longer. I get 20 pounds for about 6 bucks and they have it in stock year round so I get a few bags at a time and when I need more, I go out at lunch or stop by after work.[p]Troy
  • Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    sprinter,
    Where in this world do you get lump for $6.00 for 20 pounds...I pay $13.[p]Chief

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Orio Kid,[p] I cook more high heat than slow temps, only due to the fact, by the time I get home, It's to late to start PP or brisket. These things I hold off till the weekend. Have been tring to do a batch of Smokeys jerky but still haven't managed to get the time. I go through aprox 1 20lb bag in 2 weeks. Somtimes a little more.[p]Earl
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Chief,[p]There's a local garden shop here in town that sells Royal Oak for $6.20? for 20#. Call me lucky I guess. They have literally 20 pallets of it in stock at any given time, maybe they buy in such bulk that they get those prices. I've never really asked them WHO their main customers are, I'm relatively certain there are no more eggs here in town. There are a couple of Q joints in town, maybe they buy their lump there. Who knows, if I find out I'll let everyone know. I just know I pay 6 bucks a bag for Royal Oak Lump, never really thought it was that big a deal until now. Everyone has me thinking that it may be 10# bags based on the price. The bag is about 4 feet tall and if you open the bag into a circle its about a 20 inch diameter circle. I'm 99.9% positive its a 20# bag but I COULD be wrong. (I dont think so though)[p]Troy
  • sprinter, from your discription, that sound like a 40 or 50 lb bag...Whoooooeeeeee. Maybe more..regardless, its a steal.
    Happy for ya.
    C~W[p]

• Chief
    Options
    sprinter,
    Must be nice.....does anyone in eggland know where you can get lump cheaper than $13 for 20 lb bag in FLORIDA???

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Orio Kid,[p]I don't have a good idea how much I use, but I do know that as my usage increases, so does my happiness coefficient.[p]Jethro
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    The true value 20 lb bag, sku number in the archives somewheres, is less than 9 bucks for 20. Don't they have true value in Florida?
  • Chief
    Options
    hounddog,[p]Yes and thank ya very much
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Orio Kid, I posted a similar post to yours shortly after I got my Egg........[p]These things are good on fuel but NO WHERE near what they claim..[p]Mop!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mop, it might be better if they were to convert it into btu energy per hour per lb of charcoal. Or similar![p]The reality is that even a high temperature cook will use very little charcoal in ash if they shut down the cooker right away. Generally, I don't need a ash cleanout for 6 to 10 cooks depending on the long term or short term. [p]I can run a full load half way or more up the firering on the large, and have 30 to 40 % of my charcoal left after 20 hours continuous run at 225F degrees. I wonder what the cost of propane would be to do the same in a metal cooker. :-)
    C~W[p]

• SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    Options
    Orio Kid,
    Is that all?
    If you want the warehouse guys at BGE to be shoot you show up at BGE when they have a 2 for 1 on lump (like when they ran out of BGE bags) at 5:55 pm and tell BA that you want to buy 10 bags, (20 bags total). Good thing I drive a very large pickup.
    SloMo