Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate for Small

Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cast_iron_grate.jpg
<p />Check out my cast iron grate (before seasoning) for the little guy. I cut it out of a rectangular iron grate that Home Depot sells for gas grills.[p]I broke the new grate in yesterday with 1.25" pork chops and this evening I finally grilled two pork tenderloins. Both were out of this world. Love that Small!![p](I switched to a cable modem and new ISP. Forgive me I don't get the link to the picture right. I had to set up the FTP program to upload to my new home URL and my 16 year old son wasn't around to help me.)[p]Carl T[p]

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Great job Carl T....!! That will make some super nice looking steak marks.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    steak1.jpg
    <p />Carl T,[p]1st - welcome to the world of cable modems! When they are working they are wonderful, when they go out (and they do for a day at a time sometimes) they will drive you crazy and I suggest having a dialup avenue to the internet for backup.[p]I must be honest, I have to wonder why you wanted a cast iron grid? Do they hold the heat better? I am not sure why you would not rather have the porcelain coated BGE grid with its "no stick, no rust" abilities. What am I missing? I could understand stainless steel. I had to go look at a picture of my small (pictured with 3 2" filet mignons) to see if I could perceive any discernable differences. The cast iron one looks like the supports are closer together so lees food would fall thru. What am I missing or are you a frustrated welder?? You and C~W should get along well then.[p]Tim
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Carl T,......nice grate!

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Tim M,[p]I'm by no means an expert but I thought that cast iron grates do a better job at grilling and searing than the thinner porcelain coated grate. The same principle as a cast iron skillet vs a thin aluminum pan. Besides, I still have my original grate and have the option of using either.[p]I don't know how you feel about your small egg but I find myself using the small for almost everything. I like how it uses only a handfull of restocking lump, starts quick and cooks very evenly. I use the large for overnighters and ribs. [p]Carl T
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Carl T,[p]I use the small for most meals since we grill more than slow cook. The large only gets rib, pizza and turkey breast duty and an occasional oddity now and then. My lump use dropped about 1/3 or more too.[p]Tim