Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard Bacon too salty, any ideas?

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made some bacon using tenderloins for the first time and it came out way too salty. I cured them for 8 days and then soaked in a bowl of water for a couple hours, and I did change the water a couple times, but it was very salty. Anyone run into this? Just wondering if I used too much of the mix to cure, or if I should soak in water longer? Cooked up great, just too salty for the family.

Comments

• orion11,[p] What cure? ..... High Mountain Seasonings? That's what I tried following thirdeye's helpful posts. I went the full 10 days, turning over at 5 days ... butt not tenderloin. Rinsed like you did. Seems like open structure of the butt would cause it to absorb more cure thatn the tenderloin. Hope you get some answers so I can try a loin soon.[p]Tom B (EggSport)

• Tom B (EggSport),
    Couple of weeks ago cooked an #8 butt that had one package of the cure that you are using. Placed in gallon ziploc and turned every 24 hours. Was kept in frig at 40F for 9 days turning each day, then rinsed 2-3 time during 2 hours. Cooked per thirdeyes great instructions. Had a slight salty taste which was like country ham here in the south. Turned out great. The package said one small package for each 8#'s.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    orion11,
    i found with homemade canadian bacon that its too salty for me. what i do is take the slices just before frying and give them a quick 5 minute soak in cold water, then fry them up.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    orion11,[p]I think your cure time was too long. Tenderloins should only need 4 to 5 days of cure time. Cure time is based on thickness of the meat. I use 9 or 10 days curing time on a 3 to 3-1/2 inch thick butt. About 8 days on a 2 to 2-1/2 inch thick butt. About 6 days on an average loin. About 5 days on a tenderloin.[p]The amount of cure needed is based on weight. In the Hi Mountain kit, each of the little bags is for 8.3 pounds of meat. For accuracy, It's best to stir the cure and use a scale when dividing it. [p]A 2 to 3 hour soak has always worked for me, but you can go longer. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    One thing that I failed to mention...Only use FRESH pork, don't use enhaced pork. The injected solution is a weak brine and may not allow the meat to cure with the same results.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery