Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Spaghetti Sauce on the egg

Lovetocook
Lovetocook Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if anybody has made spaghetti sauce on the egg? I want to make spaghetti for dinner and just wondered if it would be better cooked on the egg?[p]thanks,[p]

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Lovetocook,
    here's one:
    Roasted Garlic and Grape Tomatoes Spaghetti Sauce

I found a spaghetti recipe that works perfectly in the egg and BOY does it taste great. Give it a try.

Ingredients:
    2 lbs grape tomatoes, halved
    16 cloves garlic, peeled
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 lb spaghetti
    1 handful torn fresh basil leaves

Preparation directions:
    1 Arrange tomatoes and garlic cloves so they fit snugly in an oven tray or oven proof pan (I used the BGE drip pan).
    2 Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
    Cooking directions:
    1 Heat BGE to 400 degrees (I added soaked peach wood chips to the fire, but this is optional and you can add what ever you like).
    2 Put the tray directly on the grill (no pizza stone).
    3 Roast until the garlic is soft and golden, about 25 minutes (try not to peek).
    4 Add to cooked spaghetti. Toss well to coat.
    5 Sprinkle with basil.
    6 Serve immediately. [p] Recipe Source
    Author: Posted by Rich on November 03, 2001

• Wise One,
    Great Recipe.
    I always tell folks who are "dipping their toe" into the outdoors for things they ordinarily taste from indoor cooking to try it with as clean a burning fire as possible (no smoke).[p]As for myself, I love a bit of a smokey taste (the peach ...or other fruit...wood) as Wise One indicates.[p]Go for it and report back.[p]TG

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Morning Lovetocook:[p]The link below is about the night we did spaghetti & meatballs on the egg. Not really much help on the recipe, but it was tasty![p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Spaghetti & Meatballs[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Lovetocook,[p]Spaghetti sauce is one of those things we make in large quantity during the wintertime and freeze for later use. The reason we do that is that we can let it simmer for hours - at one time we did it on our wood stove - and it both warmed the house and made it smell delicious. I know it can be done on the Egg but I can't imagine giving up those delicious odors just for the sake of Egging. :>)
  • Lovetocook,[p]I smoked some Johnsonville hot sausages on the egg. Then grilled some red, green & yellow bell peppers and onion in the grill wok. Added all of the above to a jar of sauce in a Pyrex casserole set on some firebricks and simmered for about an hour. The actual pasta I cooked in the house on the stove. I think there was hickory from an earlier cook still in the egg. I had no problem eating it![p]rb

• The spaghetti sauce turned out Great... I did my usual sauce recipe, but simmered it on the egg for about 40 minutes, instead of on the stove. I used a small amount of cherry chips, which gave it a hint of smoked cherry flavor. An added plus was that I didn't have to clean up the stove like I normally would.[p]This was the first time I had used my enamel coated cast iron dutch oven (from Target) on the egg and it cleaned up very nicly.[p]Thanks for everyones help with my question.