Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hoisin Sauce Chicken, lo-mein-ish

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I had a pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts that were clucking to be prepared. I'm not terribly happy with skinless chicken breasts on the Egg because they have a tendency to be dry, especially cooked direct. Here's what I did. I made a sauce by combining (amounts are approximate):[p]1/4 cup Kikkoman soy sauce
1/4 cup marsala (or dry sherry)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 green onions, finely minced
2/3 cup hoisin sauce (or enough to give the sauce the consistency of cream)
1 tablespoon Chinese chili paste with garlic (or sriracha; whatever)
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger[p]I cut the chicken breast (I think there were 6 or seven) halves in half again, lengthwise. I lined a pan with foil, added the chicken and the sauce, making sure to cover all pieces generously. I didn't have time to marinate, but that would've been ideal. I brought the Egg to 400, sat the pan on three firebricks, and let the chicken cook for about 45 minutes; I cut into the thickest piece and it was cooked through.[p]While the chicken was being Egged, I boiled a package of spaghetti and drained it; I briefly sauteed 2-3 fat piece of chopped garlic in about 2 T peanut oil, and combined it with the drained pasta in a large bowl. As soon as the chicken was done, I shredded it and added it to the bowl along with the sauce. Tossed it together, and it was GREAT. Because there was plenty of sauce, the chicken breasts really didn't have a chance to dry out. If I had planned in advance what I was doing, I would have added some shredded carrots, bean sprouts, or any other Chinese-style vegetables. Also, a drizzle of sesame oil would be a nice touch. [p]Have a great week!
Cheers,
Gretl[p]

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Gretl,
    What! No fat juicy Typo's? Shuucks! :-))) I still copied the recipe. I will save it for later. [p]This afternoon it is butterflied chicken Ala Anthony Up North! This is a coming home feast for our daughter after she broke her leg in 2 places in a fall on some ice last week. She deserves it after all the ribbing she has taken from me and her husband. Things like: "She took it literally when someone told her to "break a leg""! Or "We now can say she's got a screw loose" after the Dr. put 4 screws in her leg to hold the small bone in place. There are a lot more, but I'll leave those alone. She is doing well and even putting up with the jokes well.[p]Thanks again for the recipe. I will let you know how it turns out.[p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    I hope your daughter has a quick recovery from her accident. Ouch, big-time! I know she'll appreciate your BGE TLC.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Gretl,
    Thanks for your thoughts and concerns. It was just a freak accident and so totally avoidable. It happened as she was leaving the clinic with her littlest one. He is ok, and in fact never knew what was going on. I think (the clinic)they learned a sad but extremely important lesson in all this![p]I did like your recipe. I will give it a try very soon. Last night it was grilled tarragon chicken via Anthony up North. This has got to be the best or at least one of the best chicken recipes I've ever done. A short e-mail to Anthony for the recipe would be worth anyone's effort.[p]I've tried 3 times sending this, but my computer and my thick "thumbs" have messed me up everytime thus far. :-))) Sorry about the delay in returning it![p]I hope you had a great day! It was good to hear from you![p]Dr. Chicken