Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are your feelings on this Superbowl?

Options

Comments

• Retro
    Retro Posts: 88
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The kneeling + the pub the media continued to give and now NFL denying a vet group's request for the players to PLEASE STAND ad in the SB program. Will not watch a second of it!
     NFL refusal to allow vet groups with patriotic commercials to air and no super bowl in my house. In fact no NFL. I'm waiting for the return of the XFL, and college sports is a better watch anyway.
    Watching hoods and felons play a game is not my idea of entertainment.
    I believe it will be a lazy afternoon with the Egg.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not missing much.  Last game I watched was Steelers vs Bears.

With our downtime, I think the boys have enough hearts and stamina finally, to pull out the Master Sword on Sunday.  We'll see if we have enough time to shower the fourth Divine Beast Vah Rudania with bomb arrows.  Zelda boss dungeon puzzles have really advanced from NES back in the day. :)

We'll still do aged cheesesteaks, not for Philly.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    HeavyG said:
    scdaf said:
    This will be the first Superbowl ever which I will not watch.  I have not watched a single regular season game for the first time since 1970.

When the owners, the NFL and Goodell decided it was OK for players to take a knee during the anthem, football died for me...

Will be interesting to see if the newly announced revival of the XFL will be able to really make a go of it this time.

I mean, when one of your major selling points is that "players will be required to stand during the playing of the national anthem" that's bound to draw "yuge" crowds. The biggest crowds amirite?

NFL down 10% over last year and Grammy’s down 24% over last year. Keep talking politics and let’s see how viewership goes. I love it when an overpaid athlete or actress tells me how I should vote and live my life. I mean we have so much in common. 
    Viewer numbers in golf, NASCAR, boxing, NHL, and NBA have also been on the decline. Is that because of players in those sports also "taking a knee"? A lot of these things are simply cyclical. When was the last time we could regularly find professional bowling on the telly?

A lot of the declining numbers likely have more to do with a generational shift as younger folks just aren't all that interested in many of the traditional mainstream sports. Maybe one day the up and coming sports like the DRL will have millions of viewers. I wouldn't be surprised to see T20 cricket getting traction in the US in the coming years. Who knows.

The Grammy's are down because the Grammy have sucked for many many years now. Bruno Mars for album of the year??? Really?

What I find funny is that so many folks who claim not to care about what popular athletes or actors say seem to get all giddy when they can actually find any athlete or entertainer whose opinions they agree with. C'mon, Scott Baio at the GOP convention in 2016. Didn't some other D-list actors also speak there?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Excuse mill anyone......?????

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I think I’ll spend part of the day cooking and most of the day just judging everyone else on their actions and opinions.  Planning on keeping most of it myself though.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Ratings of conventional TV are down for everything because people don't watch the way they used to. Everything can be streamed or watched later on demand and the ratings people haven't figured out how to measure that and incorporate it into the ratings. Most young people have cut the cord.

It's really that simple but leaders with agendas will manipulate this stuff so they can lead you to their water. (Kool-Aid hole)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    It's sad to see so many snowflakes get offended by a few players taking a knee for something they believe in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Acn said:

There are much better ways to spend 4+ hours than watching oversized men in small pants spend around 15 minutes trying to injure and/or inflict permanent brain damage on each other.
    Yep.....you got it.

We had Rams tickets until the late 90's and I once timed how much time they were actually in play / moving on the field.  We would leave home at 9:30'ish to catch a tour bus over there about 11am.  Game would start at noon and run through 3:00-3:30.  Bus would get back around 4:30, so we were home around 5:00.  So it was a 7.5 hr day and about $500 spent for the four of us to see them in-play for a total of SEVEN MINUTES.  I imagine some games are more, but this one was seven freakin minutes on a 60 minute "play" clock. 
    You think that's bad?

I know a bunch of guys that spend thousands of dollars on a cooking contraption that cooks so slowly, sometimes it takes overnight and half the next day just for the food to be done!

Then they sit down for 15 minutes to eat it!

Football for me was when I was a kid living in the south Bronx late 50's early 60's . Two stops down on the IND for 15 cents to the Yankee stadium . 49 cents for a pint of Twister Wine . Find an unlocked gate at at stadium and get free admission . Get great ticket stubs from people leaving at half time to get  the good seats (sometimes sat 50 yard line front row ) .Smoked  Di Nobili  cigars they were, like a quarter . Saw great down and dirty football Gifford, Grier ,Robustelli,Webster the list goes on and on  . Total cost of a kick ass day of real football ,about a buck .And we were about 13 years old at time .I don't watch what they call football anymore .
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I feel like the Pats continue to roll. Go Pats!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Options
    When conversation turns to “what do you fear about getting old” I will simply pull up this thread.
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    DMW said:
    It's sad to see so many snowflakes get offended by a few players taking a knee for something they believe in.
    It was better for everyone when they new there place.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @sctdg - The good 'ol New York Football Giants.  Charley Conerly, Del Shofner, Pat Summerall, Don Chandler and several more I don't recall.  As you note-true smash mouth football.  To this day the team is the New York Football Giants for me (and for the younger crowd) that's because New York also had a baseball team called the Giants...relocated to San Francisco in 1958.  Dang, I'm an old sports junkie.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Legume said:
    When conversation turns to “what do you fear about getting old” I will simply pull up this thread.
    You've upped my fear factor.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Back in my day..... Lmfao 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    henapple said:
    Tony meant to say go Pats.  Eagles, really?
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @sctdg - The good 'ol New York Football Giants.  Charley Conerly, Del Shofner, Pat Summerall, Don Chandler and several more I don't recall.  As you note-true smash mouth football.  To this day the team is the New York Football Giants for me (and for the younger crowd) that's because New York also had a baseball team called the Giants...relocated to San Francisco in 1958.  Dang, I'm an old sports junkie.  

When we would go to the Yankee Stadium to watch the Giants, just across the  River was the Polo Grounds where the Giants baseball team played .When they went to SF. the NY Titans football team played there for a while . Titans turned into the Jets .Many Sundays there would be games in both stadiums at same time and when you stood outside of Yankee stadium you could hear crowd across the river and the crowd in the Yankee stadium ,football in stereo before stereo. It was great times for Football back then and being a kid in the Bronx.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Meh too
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

Lifelong Eagles fan, a tough business to be in with so many let downs & disappointments.  Like many I’ve left the NFL behind, even with all their success this year I only managed to watch one regular season game, just too many more interesting things to do with my time these days.  I have tuned in for the playoffs though and of course will watch Sunday.  Asked my buddy the other day what if the unlikely scenario occurs & they win, what will become of the fans?  I think a large part of their identity is tied up in losing (& I say their as in the dopes you see on the news & in so many videos making horse’s asses of themselves) that they may actually suffer a setback if it ends.  I like the Pats, always have, & with the exception of Superbowl 39 where they played/beat the Eagles I’m always pulling for them, I find their run of success to be brilliant so much so that it has sucked some of the fun out of it at least from my vantage point; if they win on Sunday one-third of Brady’s 6 fingers will be covered in rings at the expense of my team, then I guess he’ll start on his second hand =) .

I never bought into ‘their success comes by cheating’ theory either.  Do they cheat, yea probably.  Do the other 31 teams also cheat, yea probably.  How can you really be pissed at a team that just does football better than yours

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Retro
    Retro Posts: 88
    edited January 2018
    Options
    henapple said:
    LMAO--one thing about being old?
    EVERYTHING young guys are still trying to figure out us old guys have already done--and done enough that we're good at them.
    Bedroom-Barroom-BBQ included.
    LMAO--the things young guys are still trying to figure and and perfect - we've been there and done that hundreds or thousands of times.
    Us old guys? We were taught to respect the wisdom and experience of the generation before us.
    Young guys now days are raised to hide their inadequacies behind disrespect. 
    World is a changing.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    im just blown away how politics affects a leisurely afternoon of football, what else have you given up. go pats =)  take it to the extreme people, any company that gave a raise, a bonus, is building a new plant should be boycotted.  =)=)=)  no starbucks for you.  (im still boycotting starbucks cause their coffee sucks).  will be starting the day with some deep fried hot dogs with a masshole chili sauce served on butter fried split tops, onions, yellow mustard, and a dash of celery sauce.  maybe some abt's and shrimp lejon at the start of the game. either a seafood casserole or a pot of fish (cioppino) at half time.  going to wash it all down with sam adams rebel ipa"s and yell at the 30 year old tv the whole time =)=)=)  ring ring ring, ring ring ring
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Zippylip said:

Lifelong Eagles fan..........................

I never bought into ‘their success comes by cheating’ theory either.  Do they cheat, yea probably.  Do the other 31 teams also cheat, yea probably.  How can you really be pissed at a team that just does football better than yours

Wow! Never thought I'd hear those words of reason outside of New England   :)
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Retro said:
    henapple said:
    EVERYTHING young guys are still trying to figure out us old guys have already done--and done enough that we're good at them.
    LMAO--the things young guys are still trying to figure and and perfect - we've been there and done that hundreds or thousands of times.
    Us old guys? We were taught to respect the wisdom and experience of the generation before us.
    World is a changing.

Do you even snapchat......Bro?   =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
     will be starting the day with some deep fried hot dogs with a masshole chili sauce served on butter fried split tops, onions, yellow mustard, and a dash of celery sauce.  
    Any secrets you'd be willing to share vis a vis caramelizing those aforementioned onions?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Legume
    Options
    Retro said:
    henapple said:
    World is a changing.

So off base.  Live where you are most comfortable, if that means pining for the good ‘ol days and shitting on present day, so be it.  Both yesterday and tomorrow are better than today.  That has always been true, but today is where you are now and old is a state of mind.
  • AintEZbeingme
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    The kneeling + the pub the media continued to give and now NFL denying a vet group's request for the players to PLEASE STAND ad in the SB program. Will not watch a second of it!
    Kneeling is still a thing?  
    crap from last year combined with it earlier in the season this year.
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

That a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the whole thing. The game and the commercials and are going to be surprisingly shocked by it. Almost like they don't remember how much of a let down it was last year. Or the year before. Or the one before that. Just a big marketing job hyped up in order to make money.

I'll just take the opportunity to have a few beers and catch up with some old friends that I only get to see a few times a year due to hectic schedules. Sitting outside watching the kids run around.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Griffin said:

That a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the whole thing. The game and the commercials and are going to be surprisingly shocked by it. Almost like they don't remember how much of a let down it was last year. Or the year before. Or the one before that. Just a big marketing job hyped up in order to make money.

I'll just take the opportunity to have a few beers and catch up with some old friends that I only get to see a few times a year due to hectic schedules. Sitting outside watching the kids run around.

last year was one of the best come from behind wins ive ever seen in the nfl ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    A couple years ago with 35 seconds on the clock in the Superbowl I had $7000 in my pocket from a block pool. 

Then Tom got the ball and I got nothing. 35 seconds....... One of the many reasons I don't like the man. I respect him but don't like him.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Griffin said:

last year was one of the best come from behind wins ive ever seen in the nfl ;)

Or worst lead blow ever, depending on who you ask. Honestly, I'd totally forgotten about the whole game and what happened.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings