Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prep and clean-up

Options
otis
otis Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New to posting even tho i have been big BGE owner for four years. Enjoy smoking except getting BGE ready (ash clean-up)and then clean-up of v-rack. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks and sure have learned a lot from the Forumn.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    otis, just spray your v-rack with PAM and clean up is easy. As for ash clean out, I'm sorry but that's the nature of the beast. Remember though that lump produces far less ash then the brickets.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Big Murth
    Options
    otis,
    As far as the Egg itself, every couple of cooks of shorter duration (chicken, steaks, etc.), I just pull everything out of the egg (fire ring, firebox, etc.)--and have my shopvac suck it clean. I always try to start the next fire with some of the biggest chunks/lumps of hardwood in the bag. This procedure is especially important, when you're getting set to do a long cook ala Boston Butt, etc.
    Good luck, Bro.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    otis,[p] I can't give you any good ways to clean out the ashes, it
    does not bother me in the least to get right in there & take out the rings to clean it out. I must be strange, but I
    actually enjoy doing it. Makes starting it next time, that much easier. I would also go with the pam spray on your v-rack, have tried this myself, it does work.[p]Earl

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    otis, the z-rack will clean up like any other dish or kitchen utensil...[p]As far as the cooker is concerned, the egg is by far the easiest cooker to clean in terms of frequency(or lack there of) or amount of dust to remove.[p]My metal cooker has to be cleaned out EVERY time before I use it again...
    My Egg went through 5 or 6 big bags of charcoal before I had to clean it and I only did it then cause I was going to do an overnight cook and didn`t need any middle of the night suprises......[p]hope this helps.....[p]Mop!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Otis,
    I occasionally clean out the ashes with my ash tool, pulling them out the bottom vent into a terra cotta saucer. I remove the insides and vacuum only once or twice a year. The V rack goes into the dishwasher.... JCA

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    J Appledog, I like your style..:-)
    C~W