Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winterizing the egg

Options
JSpring
JSpring Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A chill is in the air in the NW, and it seems that bbq season is just about over.[p]This will be the first winter for my large, and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to do winterize it. The last few years, when it came time for the first springtime bbq with my old gasser, I opened it up to discover that things had gotten a little moldy over the winter. I'd like to make sure this doesn't happen with the egg.[p]I'll probably use it a few times over the winter, turkey day is coming soon after all, but not nearly as much as in the summer.[p]Right now, it's sitting on the porch, with it's cover on, the firebox still has the coals from my last cook, which I'm planning to clear out.[p]Any other tips for winterizing?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    jkspring,
    i don't think you'll find anyone here that doesn't use it almost as much in the winter as in the summer...[p]as for winterizing, I can't think of anything, other than maybe a cover. even then, though, a cover's not needed. as long as you keep the rain cap on and vent closed, I don't think you'll be getting any spiders in there. the egg is aitight, which is tighter than bug tight, and certainly tighter than a gasser.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    stike,[p]I guess even if a spider does get in their somehow. Once the Egg gets fired up to 500° or so there won't be no more spider problem. One way or another.[p]Jethro
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    jkspring,
    me thinks you have fallen victim to the mindset of the merchants and newspaper article writers that think the quing season ONLY runs from Memorial day to labor day. OTOH if you had been a gasser you experienced the inability of propane to flow in colder weather thus shortening the season but the BGE scoffs at cold weather. While you may need to shovel a path to your BGE and bundle yourself up to make the trip out, your egg is just fine in the winter! Besides - the year around egging is what makes us unique. I'd hate to think I had to wait until next May when the merchants and newspapers tell the common masses to fire up!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillicious
    Options
    jkspring, as RRP noted, the only winterizing needed is to make sure your snow shovel stays by the door (LOL). Actually where I live we don't get much of a winter, but I can tell you that where ever eggers live they use it year round.

• JSpring
    JSpring Posts: 13
    Options
    Good advice![p]I guess I need to change my way of thinking and make bbq an all season sport!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    jkspring,[p] Yep. BBQ Season ends Dec 31st and starts Jan 1st. Don't get much snow here in North Carolina, but that would not stop me, because where I was born and raised the snowfall we get here in NC is a mere nuisence :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    jkspring,
    i think i cook more in the winter months than in the summer. i seem to have more time to do things that i wouldnt have time for in the summer.

[ul][li]while ice fishing[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    jkspring,
    SnowEGG.jpg
    Just shovel a path to it and your ready, I guess what I'm saying is "winterizing" is puting a snow shovel hand to the door leading to the egg for shoveling.[p]H