Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboad bacon question.....

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the cure mixture from himtnjerky.com. I followed the instructions. I used 2 pork tenderloins to make canadian bacon. On the first attempt the mixture turned to liquid. I poured it out and dried the tenderloins and started over. Same results, mixture turned to liqurd. Is this suppose to happen? If not, what did I do wrong. Thanks.

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    LandDawg,
    Just checked mine. I do see some some in the container which is vac sealed

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Morning LandDawg,
    I've only used the HiMountain product once & did notice some moisture in the vac bag.
    Tasted fine though.
    My guess is just moisture bleeding from the pork tenderloin I used.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    LandDawg,[p]The pork will release a lot of liquid during the curing time. It is mostly water and when it mixes with the salts in the cure it forms a brine of sorts. The brine should be in contact with the meat to allow for a more even cure. (just like if you were home-corning a brisket). The instructions call for turning the meat in it's container, or flipping in a plastic bag (this is called overhauling) and it insures that the meat will cure evenly. The bag is easier & cleaner because you don't have to touch the meat.[p]I turn mine more often than once at the halfway point, usually every couple of days. Something I have read about but have not tried yet is to vacuum seal the meat after applying the cure. This provides for maximum contact between the meat and the brine and also shortens the cure time a hair because of the vacuum. [p]I have a buckboard page on my cookin' site with pictures of butt, loin & tenderloin bacon as well as tips on using a conventional smoker. (Hi Mountain's instructions are for an electric smoker)[p]~thirdeye~
    [ul][li]Buckboard[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    thirdeye,
    I took a quick peek at your site. Then I bookmarked it! Looks like a lot of good info. A couple of questions: Is "Buck Bacon" the same as what some of my Canadian friends call "back bacon"? And the second from Chicago land, have you ever marinated/cured a beef roast to make an Italian Beef? I had a couple of Italian Beef sandwiches up in the windy city and they blew my socks off. I'm sure there is a recipe for preparing the beef roast somewhere but have not been able to lay my hands on it. I appriciate any assitance.[p]Thx,
    T-Que

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    T-Que,[p]Out west, loin bacon is called back bacon and maybe that is a Canadian term too. I think most of the true Canadian bacon is cured in a liquid brine with flavorings of garlic, thyme and fresh sage. So without stepping on any toes, lets say a buckboard cure on a loin is Canadian Bacon-like.[p]Most bacon (as we know it in the US) is belly bacon, from hog bellies. There is also side bacon, it is cut a little higher up and sometimes not cured (side pork). The term "buckboard bacon" refers to curing and smoking cuts other than hog bellies; usually pork butt or loins. Fresh hams can be cured buckboard style, but being so lean and so large, they are cured differently and much longer. [p]Someone with a little more knowledge on Italian beef needs to jump in and help both of us out. My only experience is eating it.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    T-Que,
    Here is one we do in a crock pot all the time. I'm sure it can be done in a cast iron pot on the egg as well. 1 3 to 4 lb chuck roast. 1 can of beef consume and 1 package of dry Italian seasoning. 1 can of beer and a small jar of hot peppers. Brown the meat all over before putting it in the pot. Combine all the other ingrediants in the pot with the meat. Cook up to 5 hours until the meat is falling apart. Clean out any large pieces of fat and serve on a hogie roll or any hard roll of choice. Sauted onions and mushrooms are an option for this sandwich. Good luck, Tom