Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

S. Raichlen Project Smoke book - recipe clarification/confirmation

Options

I'm looking at the recipe for cherry-glazed baby back ribs found on p.95 of Steven Raichlen's "Project Smoke" book, which calls for 4 racks of BB ribs (total weight of 8-10 lbs.)

The recipe says "Sprinkle 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons of the rub on both sides of the ribs."

I'm guessing this means 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons of rub for each of the 4 racks (so 4 to 6 tablespoons total), no?

TIA!

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I agree with you.  Each rack gets 1.5 TBSP.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Never trust anything Raichlen says or prints.
    Or at least give considerable thought to his recommendations.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If Raichlen is suggesting it, I wouldn't waste time asking what he meant, I'd just run the other way. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've got a bunch of Raichlens books and have enjoyed most everything I tried from them.

Never really understood the Raichlen hate but cest la vie.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've got a bunch of Raichlens books and have enjoyed most everything I tried from them.

One (or several) of his marketing employee(s) stole pics from a contributing member here and posted unattributed. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    This doesn't sound like your first go-round with ribs.  Regardless, just lay on the rub til it looks right.  Recipes have to provide portions and I get that but trying to assess how much of a rub (as long as too much won't ruin the flavor (think something quite hot)) to use is a crap-shoot.
    BTW- I would bet that even 1 1/2 T's per rack is selling it short but I am not reading the recipe.  Trust your gut feel.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    DMW said:
    HeavyG said:

One (or several) of his marketing employee(s) stole pics from a contributing member here and posted unattributed. 
    And I'm sure that when the error was pointed out/discovered they either removed them or asked permission and provided proper source attribution.

Or maybe not, perhaps they are still on his website. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    DMW said:
    HeavyG said:

And I'm sure that when the error was pointed out/discovered they either removed them or asked permission and provided proper source attribution.

He (or his marketing team) was using my pics and @Dyal_SC and attaching his name to them. We both used to be pretty active members on his BBQ forum. I've since gone and deleted all my pictures from that forum.  I can't remember if they ended up taking them down or gave us credit, but he sent me 2 of his books as an apology. I don't even think I ever looked at them. Anybody want to buy two of his books?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Griffin said:
    HeavyG said:
    DMW said:
    HeavyG said:

He (or his marketing team) was using my pics and @Dyal_SC and attaching his name to them. We both used to be pretty active members on his BBQ forum. I've since gone and deleted all my pictures from that forum.  I can't remember if they ended up taking them down or gave us credit, but he sent me 2 of his books as an apology. I don't even think I ever looked at them. Anybody want to buy two of his books?
    Well id love to buy  your books but im more interested in a trade..,i have a couple of picts of his from another bbq website id love to swap with you for those books!   

I dont hate the guy...but no es bueno what his people did to your intellectual property

He makes some pretty good stuff on the pbs shows, sometimes coming accross as a little weird and not a bbq guy but overall i enjoy his stuff.  Havent gotten too many great ideas from him...some good ones but not great.  He has used the BGE too so thats good...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Maybe we should ask @Griffin and @Dyal_SC how much seasoning? It's probably their recipe anyway.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    DVR all his shows. Just watched one on making fish dip with smoked red snapper. Going to be making this.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    I stopped following his forums when he moved to the den of scum, villainy and misandry that is reddit.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    GregW said:
    If Raichlen is suggesting it, I wouldn't waste time asking what he meant, I'd just run the other way. =)
    Wow!

I've only made 2 Raichlen recipes, so maybe you guys have a lot more experience with his recipes than I, but one of them was really good, and the other one is my all-time favorite shrimp recipe, and when I made it (and it wasn't as good as usual, because it was grilled on a gasser at a rented beach house) for family last summer, the girlfriend of one of my grandsons said, "I think this is the best shrimp I've ever had!"  I like it so much I bought the book it's in (Barbecue Bible), and there's a lot of great-looking stuff there.  Again, I've only tried one other recipe from that book (Romy's Ribs), but it was really good.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have never read his books. My skill sets are:
    1) Fire up egg.
    2) Put whatever I'm cooking on the grate.
    3) Wait for successful toothpick test.
    4) Serve.
    5) Extinguish by removal of oxygen supply.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Theophan said:
    GregW said:
    Wow!

I've only made 2 Raichlen recipes, so maybe you guys have a lot more experience with his recipes than I, but one of them was really good, and the other one is my all-time favorite shrimp recipe, and when I made it (and it wasn't as good as usual, because it was grilled on a gasser at a rented beach house) for family last summer, the girlfriend of one of my grandsons said, "I think this is the best shrimp I've ever had!"  I like it so much I bought the book it's in (Barbecue Bible), and there's a lot of great-looking stuff there.  Again, I've only tried one other recipe from that book (Romy's Ribs), but it was really good.
    @Theophan , I don't really dislike Raichlen. I occasionally watch his project smoke show. I don't have any of his books. I tend to be a BBQ traditionalist. Raichlen's recipes are usually outside my comfort zone.
    I probably should give some of his recipes a try some time, if for nothing else than breaking the monotony. I tend to do steaks, ribs and butts.
    Something new might be a welcome change.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    I've enjoyed the few recipes of his that I've tried.  I found with the BBQ Bible the back stories were more interesting to me than the food (eg: Tri tip).  Between watching BBQ U as well as Project Smoke, the disconnect between what was on the screen and in the recipe started making me go o.O - that and there was a lot of fuss in some of the recipes.  Not Keller level fussy, but still it seemed to be an awful lot more than was necessary (especially sauces).
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've only seen him a few times on TV, and his "vibe" seemed odd for a BBQ guy, really different from any BBQ guy I've ever seen on TV, or the few BBQ places I've been to in VA or NC.  But a bunch of his recipes sound good to me, and the only two I've tried were really good -- one was fantastic!  So, so far, I'm a fan.  That Gulf Coast Shrimp recipe of his is just killer.  I'm looking forward to trying some more of his recipes.