Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Falling on the Ice Can Hurt...

Options
XC242
XC242 Posts: 1,208
Not only can it hurt, but if you land juuust right you can break your kneecap in a couple or so pieces. After an ambulance ride to the emergency room yesterday and the follow up today with orthopedics we have surgery scheduled for next week. The 2nd time I’ve managed to break a bone falling on the ice. Oh well, that’s winter in Wisco...

Gonna have to teach my wife and daughter how to use the Egg. 

Be be safe Everyone!!

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    At least it wasn't your hip or head. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Best wishes on the recovery.  Ice takes no prisoners.  
    You may want to rethink your training plan-after all, if wife is given a look behind the curtain then all the mystery is impacted.  Never mind the requisite adult supervisory beverages.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Cheers to a speedy recovery 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just got over a tibial plateau fracture, torn MCL and torn meniscus from a track motorcycle accident.  12 weeks, but gets better each day.  Hang in there.
    Options
    Ouch! That's no good. I slipped earlier this week when snow blowing the driveway. Only thing hurt was the ego. It can get ugly real quick with ice. Better days ahead for you!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Dang.....that sucks.  Painful to say the least.
    Sounds like you need some snow chains for your feet.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Vibram has new soles that apparently "stick" to ice if it's something you deal with a lot. Too little too late here, but at least for the future...

https://us.vibram.com/technology/arctic-grip/
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Ouch! I hope for a speedy recovery
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    seems i always use my head to break the fall =) right eye still twitches from last winter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Ouch.  Hope you have a full recovery.  Had a friends daughter die from a freak fall on ice.  Getting out of a car she fell and hit her head just wrong and killed her.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I am extra cautious anymore. Look like an old man, but then again I’m getting there. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    I slipped and fell on ice yesterday while rushing to the water cutoff at our family’s rental house. Nothing broken though.
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Not good, hope you have a quick recovery.

On first glance, I thought the bag of cotton balls (or whatever that is) was a third cat performing nursing duties. They do love to sit on stationary objects...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    You should move south.   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    What is this ice substance you speak of? And how in the world did you fall on it?  Do you have some kind of walk in freezer with an ice coated floor?

Just busting your chops.  As a wiscy native I understand how to measure distance in hours, what a bubbler is, that it's appropriate to refer to the packers as 'we' , and what a kringle  is.....

Sux about your knee man.  That looks awful...
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Sound painful- get well soon.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am sorry about your fall. I fell on concrete in the rain and landed on my left knee. My leg was up under me. When I tried to straighten it I discovered that my knee cap was on the side of my leg. 

Long story short it pulled the tendon from the bone and broke a quarter sized piece of the knee cap off from my knee cap. Itfelt like a piece of gravel floating in there. 

I had surgery a couple of days later. They removed the broken piece and put everything back together. I was on crutches for a while and physical therapy, but I got over it. I still don't have all of the normal feeling in my knee, and it hurts like crap to put pressure on it (crawling under my house or anything is a no no).

Hopefully you will be back to 100% soon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The simple thought of a slip on ice makes my body hurt. The pizza commercial showing the guy bust it is all I need for a visual picture of the dangers. 

Wishing you the speediest of recoveries....and happy to send you a map of the South. Seriously....all the best on your recovery. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Ouch!!  Hate to hear this... hopefully you will have a speedy recovery and will be egging soon..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @northGAcock - unfortunately from all of the fake news on the networks I believe you have accumulated more ice and snow events of late then most of us in the north/south.  Enjoy your soup creations (look great) and stay safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Ouch, I had my share of those falls when I lived in Rockford, IL. I moved south....I hope you heel up soon.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that.  I slipped on the ice a few years back and messed up my ankle.  Nothing some screws couldn't fix.  Hang in there!
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery!  You're always welcome down here in FL!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • XC242
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Picture in your mind a 9” softball under that bag of ice, that’s what it looks like tonight. Surprisingly there’s been almost no pain. Either that or I’m the toughest SOB who ever broke his kneecap.  Ortho told me after the surgery I’d be as good as... a 58 year old man who broke his knee...

Remember everyone, “Let’s be careful out there.”
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    I was also graceful today, walking across the parking lot at work.  I was luckier, because I escaped uninjured thanks to my natural padding.  However, there's a security camera aimed out that door, so now I wait to see if I become "entertainment"
  • thetrim
    Options
    @LDR will be the next viral video!

XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vcm859TNZk

This doesn't quite meet your timeline, @LDR

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Surprisingly there’s been almost no pain. 
    Mine never really hurt either. When I was in the emergency room they kept asking me my pain level. My blood pressure was normal and they couldn't believe that I wasn't in more pain. 

I think we are just tough! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • XC242
    Options
    LDR said:
    I was also graceful today, walking across the parking lot at work.  I was luckier, because I escaped uninjured thanks to my natural padding.  However, there's a security camera aimed out that door, so now I wait to see if I become "entertainment"
    There were no cameras where I was so nothing should show up on YouTube. Glad to hear yours went better than mine. I have pretty good padding too, but unfortunately landed on an unpadded spot. Remember, we need to see the video or it didn’t happen  =)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Good luck on the rehabilitation. Get well soon.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky