Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFW`s River City Jerky

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`m wondering if I can bump the temps on the cooker up to 200º to cut shorten the 12 cook time..
Also, the recipe calls for NO tenderquick or curing salts, why do most require it and others not?
I would love to give it a shot today but wanna be clear first...
Thanks..[p]Mop!

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Mop,[p]You can easily cook @ 200. I do mine @ 180 but bump the temp later in the cook. The higher temps have a tendency to render out the fat quicker.[p]I haven't used curing salt yet but I am on my next batch. My jerky goes way too fast to need it so far.[p]Happy jerkin..[p]
    Mick

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Mop,
    Morton's Tenderquick is used to cure the meat. This will allow you to keep it longer and also adds that "salty taist" I make 10 LBs at a time and keep it for months in the frig. Hanging the jerky on tooth picks will cut the drying time to 3 to 4 hours with no turning. (See Jerkage posted on 2-17 by Mickey T)

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    MAC,[p]The toothpick method works best for me as well to end up with a "traditional" jerky. I personally use TQ most of the time for us, however I use it everytime I make jerky to give away. I don't want to take any chances on any problems with any past, present, or future customers...[p]Zip
  • Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Zip,
    Is there a site where tenderquick can be ordered on line?

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    CureQuik.gif
    <p />Sippi,[p]It can be purchased online from American Spice,Allied Kenco. I am able to purchase it from WalMart supercenters and is usually right by the Kosher salt on the spice isle. A picture of the bag should show up so you know what you are looking for.[p]Zip[p][p]EGGtoberfest'99 Photos[p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Mop, Good Morning - I never used TenderQuick simply because the Jerky never lasts long enough to worry about it. At 200 and indirect it may cut the cooking time, but I've never actualy tried it. With my multi-level grid, the cooking time reduces to about 8 hours. One of these days, I'm going to try the hanging toothpick method. Good Luck! :~}

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Gfw,Thanks for responding, For my first batch I`m just going to use my SCREEN atop two firebricks as I don`t have a contraption yet...[p]Mop!

• Zip,[p]awfully nice pics. First time I noticed that some of them have a soundtrack.