Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers

jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't do a lot of burgers on my Egg, but I thought about some today. I usually do them direct but turning them is usually another hair raising process. Do most of you cook burgers direct or inderect?[p]Chef Jerry

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Jwirlwind,
    Indirect works good and keeps them real juicy. Try 350 with a drip pan. No excessive grease smoke that way. No flipping required. Smash down the center a little and they won't shrink as much either. You'll like it!

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Ronbeaux,[p]When you do them indirect, do you sear first? And how long does indirect usually take for a burger of (you name the size and fat content)?[p]I'd think indirect burgers would take on some of the characteristics of those coming from a steam table - I assume that I am totally wrong on that preconception . . . ?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    208af3bd.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,[p]I like raised direct with a medium bed of coals. Remember, burgers are lonely all by themselves. LOL[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    hamburger%20readtoeat.JPG
    <p />Jwirlwind,[p]Have tried a lot of methods and what I like best is to make 1" thick 1/2 lb patties and cook them direct at normal grilling level for about 8 minutes a side at 350 dome. They turn out great everytime.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Burgers[/ul]
  • TRex,[p]At 8 minutes what level of doneness does that get you? I like my burgers on the rare side. YUMMY!!!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Jwirlwind,[p]I recommend you try brisket burgers. Ask the butcher to double grind a brisket for you. I will only make burgers this was now. Make 1/3-1/2 lb patties (thinner in the middle, fatter on the outside ... almost donut like).[p]I sear them direct on a cast iron grate (flip once) at 450-500 (2-3 minutes per side), dwell for 3-4 minutes (depending on desired doneness)[p]Sorry no pictures![p]Smokey
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    FSUScotsman,[p]8 minutes gives you a medium-rare to medium burger typically, of course depending on the temperature of the meat when you start. [p]TRex
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Jwirlwind,
    I like my burgers direct, but at 250º on a raised grid. Takes about 45 min, flip carefully at about 20 min. That gets you to a safe 160º, just a smidgen more done than than pink. They come out very juicy, and with the longer time, can absorb some smoke. Make sure you use ground chuck or any other 80/20 combination. Good Luck.
    Mike

• Smokey,[p]Where did you find a cast iron grate?![p]Thanks,
    Mike

• thirdeye,[p]Looks good, but your burgers look done and your dogs are just getting started.[p]Yea, I like my dogs a bit on the chared side. First on last off.
    Mike

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Michael B,[p]Found it at Home Depot. It was on clearance ($2.50). It's about 6x9 and sits on top of my reguar grid (when I use it). Makes great grill marks.[p]BGE makes one for the large, but it's really heavy and I find it a pain to use (filling the fire box etc). I gave it away! [p]Smokey
  • Smokey,[p]Thank you! I'll have to go to Home Depot.[p]Mike
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Jwirlwind,[p]I've looked through the other replies, and I'll be the captain obvious in this bunch. Go direct, man. Go direct![p]Sear those burgers at a high heat, 450 or higher, for a few minutes per side. Then depending on how thick they are, roast for 5-10 minutes. If they're thin, just sear. If they're thick, sear then roast.[p]OK, just jumping in with the classic technique. Not condemning the other posts, and I may try those methods. But this is the way most people cook burgers :)[p]Jets 4-3!!!!!
    Cornfed