Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Suggestions

Options
2»

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    WeberWho said:
    You could always go bigger and thicker with the grate. Here's a few pictures of Hotches grate below. I have the same and it's heavy duty. It might help with a couple of your issues and work well with your plate setter. 

Hi-Que S/S with 3/8" rods on 3/8" spread

I assume this is the grate shown here?

http://www.high-que.com/Luxury-Stainless-Cooking-Grid-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg_p_18.html

Fairly pricey, but it looks nice with that hinge. I think I may try this.
    Call Tom at The Ceramic Grill Store and order the PSWoo. It works great with my Hi-Que S/S grid as you can see in the pic!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Tsyras
    Tsyras Posts: 11
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I got this one for a gift for a family member. It's really heavy duty and that thing weighs 14lbs. For the large.  Being able to lift one side up to add lump or chunks is nice
    You give nicer gifts than I do.  :)
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    Woodchunk said:
    I got this one for a gift for a family member. It's really heavy duty and that thing weighs 14lbs. For the large.  Being able to lift one side up to add lump or chunks is nice
    @Tsyras Yes sir that is the grate
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Tsyras
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Call Tom at The Ceramic Grill Store and order the PSWoo. It works great with my Hi-Que S/S grid as you can see in the pic!
    Already got one actually, but mainly just use it today as an easy way to deal with platesetter.

It sounds like people here have success grilling raised on the PSwoo. I could def use some advice on cooking raised.

Lets say I would normally grill chicken between 350-400F dome and about 5-6 minutes on each side. If I raise the grid, how would I change to get good results? When I tried this it felt more like I was baking the chicken instead of grilling, so I just stuck with grilling with a lower grid.

Edit: Just ordered the grid. I have spent way too much money on accessories for my grill. Thankfully my wife doesn't ask many questions lol.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    When I tried grilling my chicken raised it felt like it took forever to grill and didn't turn out well.

What kind of dome temps are needed when cooking raised like that?
    There is no magical temp. Raise your temps until you get the results you like.
    When you cooked your chicken raised, were you cooking with direct heat or indirect with a plate setter?
    You might have to weed through some BS, but you will never find better help anywhere else than this forum. But you also have to provide enough information so others can help you."and it did not turn out well" is not helpful.
    What did you not like? What are you trying to achieve that you are not getting?
    Buying a $1000 grill does not instantly make you a BBQ master. It can be frustrating but try to be consistent and don't make to many changes at one time or you will not know what worked and what did not work.
    When you have time, and this is important, and not in a rush, cook your food in small batches and change things up a little with each cook. Take notes...trust me, you will forget things if you don't. Most importantly, cook your food to the correct internal temp that you like. Never rely on time alone. Then start working on the outer texture/crust of your proteins. It will come together like flipping a light switch and you won't even think about it.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    Hotch said:
    Already got one actually, but mainly just use it today as an easy way to deal with platesetter.

It sounds like people here have success grilling raised on the PSwoo. I could def use some advice on cooking raised.

Lets say I would normally grill chicken between 350-400F dome and about 5-6 minutes on each side. If I raise the grid, how would I change to get good results? When I tried this it felt more like I was baking the chicken instead of grilling, so I just stuck with grilling with a lower grid.

Edit: Just ordered the grid. I have spent way too much money on accessories for my grill. Thankfully my wife doesn't ask many questions lol.
    If you raise the level of the lump, it will be closer to the cooking grid. I will typically always load the lump to the top of the fire ring when I need to "Grill" proteins in a quick manner. Those steaks I grilled for Christmas dinner were great. Used full load and the whole top of the lump was glowing red! I use a mapp torch to light the complete top of the lump. Eliminates hot and cold spots.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Tsyras
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Tsyras said:
    When I tried grilling my chicken raised it felt like it took forever to grill and didn't turn out well.

What kind of dome temps are needed when cooking raised like that?
    There is no magical temp. Raise your temps until you get the results you like.
    When you cooked your chicken raised, were you cooking with direct heat or indirect with a plate setter?
    You might have to weed through some BS, but you will never find better help anywhere else than this forum. But you also have to provide enough information so others can help you."and it did not turn out well" is not helpful.
    What did you not like? What are you trying to achieve that you are not getting?
    Buying a $1000 grill does not instantly make you a BBQ master. It can be frustrating but try to be consistent and don't make to many changes at one time or you will not know what worked and what did not work.
    When you have time, and this is important, and not in a rush, cook your food in small batches and change things up a little with each cook. Take notes...trust me, you will forget things if you don't. Most importantly, cook your food to the correct internal temp that you like. Never rely on time alone. Then start working on the outer texture/crust of your proteins. It will come together like flipping a light switch and you won't even think about it.

I definitely cook to temperature and not time, was just giving an example.

When I tried chicken raised with my PSwoo, it was direct, but at 400F dome it took forever to get up to temperature compared to the standard grid at normal height.

I guess I just need general advice on why people grill raised. Is it something applicable to all types of grilling (for example searing a steak raised)? I had been using the standard height grid with the GrillGrates on top, and felt like I did well, but the GrillGrates felt like a crutch.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Tsyras said:

I definitely cook to temperature and not time, was just giving an example.

When I tried chicken raised with my PSwoo, it was direct, but at 400F dome it took forever to get up to temperature compared to the standard grid at normal height.

I guess I just need general advice on why people grill raised. Is it something applicable to all types of grilling (for example searing a steak raised)? I had been using the standard height grid with the GrillGrates on top, and felt like I did well, but the GrillGrates felt like a crutch.
    Great...
    As @Hotch said above, when cooking raised direct, load lump up to top of fire ring if you are looking for a hot, faster cook. Cooking raised will give you more heat radiating down from the dome onto your food as well as reduce hot spots from your lump. I have not used the GrillGrates yet so i have no reference.
    No, although you can sear and get grill marks cooking raised direct, it's better suited for mid temp roasting or even slower cooks if you don't loader full of lump. Cooking direct is different as you do need to flip and rotate/spin your cooking grate at times but I really like texture/crust you get on the food better than cooking indirect.
    But everyone likes their food different. Just a matter of time before you find what works for you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tsyras
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Tsyras said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Did you have to bend the PSWoo handles to get the grate on there?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Tsyras said:
    WeberWho said:
    Tsyras said:
    Woodchunk said:
    Did you have to bend the PSWoo handles to get the grate on there?
    That's a good question. I can't help you out with that. I have a Woo for my small but not my large egg. I'd try emailing Tom at Ceramic Grill Store. He'd probably be able to help you out with that question 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota