Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Back Ribs

Options
I love beef ribs. Especially short ribs. Today I have some beef back ribs. Last time I cooked them they were over done as there wasn’t much meat. I get such spotty results with these. These are “fairly” meaty. Curious how you guys prepare. I planned to throw them on and run some errands today so I won’t be around to “check” them. Planned to rub with meat Church holy cow and let me smoke for 4 hours then see how they look. Any suggestions?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I've had inconsistent results with back ribs too.  Here is my post from the last time I did them.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205175/beef-back-ribs  Went naked and cooked for about 5 hours.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Thanks @saluki2007. Yeah I figured around 5 hours. But checking at 4 as last time 5 hours had mine crunchy haha. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I use worcestershire as a rub binder and of late dust with Hardcore Carnivore Black.  Run at around 250*F on the dome til they pass the tooth-pick test for the win.  Good call to check at around the 4 hour mark.  Beat their pork cousins every time.  Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    I smoke dino ribs a lot , I put whatever rub I choose and cook them at 240 degrees more or less indirect for 5.5-6 hours no foil. Always come out great
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's the sight for APL's method and pics of the ones I did.
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/09/beef-back-ribs-aka-dino-bones.html
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I cook them the same way I do pork ribs with consistent results. 3/1/.5. Enjoy 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Captainjimpark
    Options
    Wow billy Ray those look freakin great!!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    I just put them on running at 285. Check back later
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    I have a bunch of short ribs in the freezer.
    now I want to bring some out  B)
  • Chubbs
    Options
    2 hours in. Got them high in dome on my AR with rig extender. Oak for smoke
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Chubbs - a thing of beauty right there.  Since you are running high in the dome, they will likely finish quicker due to the reflective heat, FWIW.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Those look beautiful.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nice Chubbs!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Chubbs
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Chubbs - a thing of beauty right there.  Since you are running high in the dome, they will likely finish quicker due to the reflective heat, FWIW.  
    Yessir. They were done at 4
    hours. Holding them in the clock right now until everything else ready. Not as much meat
    as I want on these things haha
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    lousubcap said:
    Yessir. They were done at 4
    hours. Holding them in the clock right now until everything else ready. Not as much meat
    as I want on these things haha
    Absolutely one of my favorite meals right there. You folks enjoy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice cook @chubbs

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Chubbs I have gone back and forth between the beef back and short ribs.  For the past year plus I am in the back ribs camp.  I did fire up some short ribs a couple of months ago as a control check.  Coulda been the cook (most likely) or the ribs but somehow when the ribs passed the tooth-pick test I still had a whole lot of unrendered fat.  So, still with the back ribs.  You are right about the meat quantity but dang it is so tender.  
    Enjoy the banquet.  
  • Chubbs
    Options
    They did not disappoint. Spot on. Love holy cow on them. Was my first time using it on beef ribs. Great flavor profile
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    billyray said:
    Just to be clear for others trying to learn, in these pics it appears you were cooking beef short (Chuck) ribs using Nibble's recipe for back ribs. Same great flavor but back ribs have like 5-6 bones and don't have any meat on top of them (it's basically the rib-eye bones). Chubb's pics are definitely back ribs. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billyray
    edited January 2018
    Options
    billyray said:
    Just to be clear for others trying to learn, in these pics it appears you were cooking beef short (Chuck) ribs using Nibble's recipe for back ribs. Same great flavor but back ribs have like 5-6 bones and don't have any meat on top of them (it's basically the rib-eye bones). Chubb's pics are definitely back ribs. 
    These were the rib eye bones. Since I was an old meat cutter from the 60's, I look for ribs that were boned off of the rib eye by todays meat cutters that are sloppy and leave to much meat on the bone. The cryovac ones are always trimmed close and leave no meat on the top. The guy that boned these didn't know what he was doing, but it made me happy.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    They look great, and yet another cut of meat to try out. :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• billyray
    edited January 2018
    Options
    billyray said:I forgot to add. The primal rib section actually has 7 ribs. rib #'s 6 through 12. These were 2 pieces, cut from a full 7 bone roast, 1 was a 3 rib section and the other was a 4 rib section. As I watched the guy bone these and saw his knife cut back into the ribeye at the bottom of his cut, I said to myself "these are for me"
    billyray said:
    These were the rib eye bones. Since I was an old meat cutter from the 60's, I look for ribs that were boned off of the rib eye by todays meat cutters that are sloppy and leave to much meat on the bone. The cryovac ones are always trimmed close and leave no meat on the top. The guy that boned these didn't know what he was doing, but it made me happy.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    @Chubbs - nice looking ribs and sounds like great end result! 

@billyray - those are probably the meatiest back ribs I’ve seen. If your meat cutter still cuts like that, please let me know where he works and when  =) 
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • billyray
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    @Chubbs - nice looking ribs and sounds like great end result! 

@billyray - those are probably the meatiest back ribs I’ve seen. If your meat cutter still cuts like that, please let me know where he works and when  =) 
    The guy has moved on, probably a meat manager somewhere  =)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    All these beef rib posts.  Damn.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Legume said:
    All these beef rib posts.  Damn.
    Yeah....I agree. I usually don't save many of my pictures of cooks.....but hang on to this one as it just screens joy.  A while back during the spring of last year.......almost better than sex. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Love it, nice pull back even at the 2-hr mark.  Heard good feedback on Holy Cow, also wondering about Holy Gospel (illegitimate child of Holy Cow and Gospel).
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    billyray said:
    billyray said:I forgot to add. The primal rib section actually has 7 ribs. rib #'s 6 through 12. These were 2 pieces, cut from a full 7 bone roast, 1 was a 3 rib section and the other was a 4 rib section. As I watched the guy bone these and saw his knife cut back into the ribeye at the bottom of his cut, I said to myself "these are for me"
    billyray said:

Your guy made a perfect set of chuck ribs even down to the number of bones.   Lol. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.