Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon wrapped butt

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
A buddy at work just threw me 7# boneless butt to smoke on the Egg. I figured what a better chance than to do a bacon wrapped butt. Has anyone ever tried that on here? I was wondering if there is a target temp or time to throw the bacon on the butt? I’m guess the bacon would only need a couple hours on the meat so it doesn’t disintegrate to ash.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Never have done it but upon further review, why not par-cook the bacon and then wrap the butt as it about at the finish-line and let the bacon ride in for the win?  Just a thought.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    If it’s just for pulling, I’m not sure wrapping adds anything, you could just toss some bacon on and let it cook in the smoke, then mix in with the pulled pork.  I don’t think you’re going to get bacon infused pork butt, but you might take out your bark along the way as well.  Would be a good picture cooking though.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Never have done it but upon further review, why not par-cook the bacon and then wrap the butt as it about at the finish-line and let the bacon ride in for the win?  Just a thought.  
    Sounds like the only reasonable way to use bacon with a butt. The best part of the pork butt is the outer bark. Why ruin it by covering it up during the cook.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    lousubcap said:
    Sounds like the only reasonable way to use bacon with a butt. The best part of the pork butt is the outer bark. Why ruin it by covering it up during the cook.

Agree, I never cover my butt, it's too wonderful to hide.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I would chop the bacon up and fry it, then mix it with the pulled pork

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Pulled pork sandwich with bacon and a fried egg sounds good. Sorry that’s where my mind went here.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Why would you want to cover a perfectly fine butt?