Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast "pop up" timers....

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does anyone know what the pre set temp is on the pop up timers?
I`m looking for a 165º breast temp but if the pop up is set for that then I won`t bother with my polder.....[p]Mop!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop, Yank that thing out, and throw it in the trash! Or leave it in, and use your polder.[p]Dats my opinion on da situation. For what it's worth.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Mop,[p]
    Most are designed to pop between 176° and 180° so follow NB's advise.[p]Zip

• Mop
    Options
    Nature Boy, much appreciated gentlemen.....your opinions are worth a lot to me.
    Should I take it out of the turkey and throw it out or should I smash the hell out of it first?....lol[p]Just for fun I`ll see if it pops close to the time I take if off....
    The polder is in the breast now and it`s at 157º, browning nicely....thanks guys..[p]Mo!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mop,[p]A gentleman who dealt in chickens posted several years ago that the pop-up indicators were set to pop in the 180-185°F range. It seems that poultry providers are more concerned with avoiding a possible lawsuit than producing the ideal cooked bird.[p]Yank it out.[p]Spin

• Mop
    Options
    Spin,good point, thanks....
    this was my first brined turkey....I just finished, It was wonderfull....totally different without an overpowering smoke flavor.[p]I went with "painters" easy salt brown sugar brine cause I was short for time....good call painter, thanks folks![p]Mop![p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    turkey15.jpg
    <p />Mop,[p]I don't trust the pop-up thermometers and I always use a Polder to cook by. BUT - there has been a lot of posts about what temp they pop out at. I am not sure where they are designed to pop out, but the picture obviously shows them popped out and the Polder is reading 167 deg internal. [p]Tim
  • Mop
    Options
    Tim M,thank you sir for the picture..
    I took mine off the cooker at 165º and the indicator had not popped , I guess If I had of left it much longer it probably would have.
    Thanks Timmer![p]Mop!

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Tim M,[p]They work at a variety of temperatures depending on the application. See this chart at Volk Enterprizes. Different colors mean different temperatures.[p]For those that want to know how they work, check out the How Stuff Works page.[p]Zip
  • Mop
    Options
    Zip,Hey, thanks for the links, Lots of info....I never knew there was so much technology behind a "pop up" timer...[p]mop