Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you eggers!

BasementDwellingGeek
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
MtWash.jpg
<p />I just got hired into a new job. I start Monday! [p]Now for the on topic part…. As part of the second interview I was given 10 minutes to prepare a 10-minute presentation on any subject I chose. I had to teach them something. My topic was making pulled pork on a BigGreenEgg. I drew crude sketches on the white board describing the innards of the Egg, thermometer, the vents, and fire building. I explained the difference between Kingsford and lump charcoal, and how lump was made. I explained that butt was a bit of a misnomer since the meat actually comes from the shoulder. I described techniques used to moisten the meat to get the rub to stick and what rub was. I explained the slow cooking, collagen and fat rendering process. Along the way I got to field questions from my soon to be coworkers like “What happens if you just cook it normally and don’t cook it slow?” or “Why is called pulled pork?” and “Where do you get that special charcoal?” “How is this different from a Smokey Joe?”[p]They seemed to like my presentation. Much of what I presented was from info I have learned from, or research spawned by, lurking here for the past year.[p]Thank y’all![p]rb[p]Totally unrelated: After Fishlessman’s view of Mt Washington, I have to add my own.
Some friends and I do an annual backpacking trip; this last one was the Dry River Wilderness. Up the Dry River trail to Isolation (west) to Davis Path to a Campsite just down Isolation (east). Day 2, over Mt. Isolation to Resolution Shelter. Day 3 we did the side trip up to Mt. Crawford summit and then continued down Davis Path to Rt. 302.
The picture (if I don’t screw up posting it) is of Mt. Washington from Mt. Crawford.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    You're right dewd. This forum is just loaded with info. If you make the time to follow it, you will no doubt be a better cook, and even be able to make a presentation! Glad it went well.[p]Nice picture. My kind of place. Last thing I would expect from a basement dweller![p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    BasementDwellingGeek,[p]LOL, I did the same thing for a sales presentation training class I took a while back - we had about 10 minutes to throw together a 5-minute presentation on something, and I talked about the greatness of the Egg. A couple of people in that class actually ended up getting information from me on how to buy an Egg. Gotta love it![p]TRex
  • Nature Boy,
    Thank you Chris, BDG was a pen name I create many years ago when in high school and I actually did live in a basement. My father was a lifer (MSgt) in the US Army, not a great paying position. With 3 siblings and relatively low pay we made do. My hat is off to those doing there duty now![p]I start a new chapter in the book of life next week. I hope it goes well![p]beers,
    rb

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    BDG,

Congrats on the new position - hope it works well for you. Where are you, and what's the new job? Nice pic too.
  • TRex,[p]I gave few seconds to Searing Steaks at 700 degrees. I think there may be more interest in the coming weeks. I think I might have boggled their minds with dwell, so I left it out. I'll post if any of my (4) co-workers buys an Egg.[p]rb[p]
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    BasementDwellingGeek,
    Good job! I had the same eggperience only I had to stear it toward safety so I threw in a bunch of tips on how not to get burned or start a fire that was not in the egg.

• T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    BasementDwellingGeek,[p]Ok, so I don't see a .ppt attachement here?? :-) I need to give a presentation on Monday on security and encryption. But I'm thinking...If I change the presentation to Egg'n and some pulled pork (this is a southern crowd in Birmingham) I would be much more popular and I may even hold their interest!!![p]Great idea!![p]T-Que
  • T-Que,
    One of the questions asked was "Where are the samples?" It was then quickly modified since she knew I had no advanced notice. I am considering "doing up a butt" before Monday![p]Unfortunatly, given a topic and reporting on another probably won't fly! Talk Blowfish, 128 bit, baffle them with ...[p]rb