Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Virgin, Work in Progress

Options
HendersonTRKing
HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
8 lb first cut brisket; 10 days in the cure; a day and a half rinsing and soaking; now rubbed and resting in the fridge.  Will go on the grid tomorrow or Sunday, weather and schedule permitting.  Labor of lust for this NY-deli meat aficionado.

If it’s true that you always remember your first time, I’m hoping it’ll be for the right reasons.  More pix to follow!  
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    Pastrami is my favorite project. You won’t be disappointed. 
    Beautiful job right there. Looking forward to OP's cook as well. Beautiful photos. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Awaiting the results. I'm sure it won't disappoint. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    Pastrami is my favorite project. You won’t be disappointed. 
    That - that looks incredible.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Looks like a solid start, @HendersonTRKing. Looking forward to seeing the finished cook. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Getting there. In a loooong stall. Of course. Just covered it on a rack in an aluminum pan with beef broth, beer and garlic for some steamy goodness. Fingers crossed. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    Nice work!
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I'd say you ate well right there. Beautiful work.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Thanks for the kind thoughts.  Definitely a keeper.  Just need to set aside 2 weeks every so often to prep and smoke it!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Love your result.  Being cheap and lazy, I buy corned beef around St. Patrick's day, soak it repeatedly to reduce the sodium, then coat with pastrami spices, smoke, then steam.  Cuts the 2 weeks to 2 days.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Love your result.  Being cheap and lazy, I buy corned beef around St. Patrick's day, soak it repeatedly to reduce the sodium, then coat with pastrami spices, smoke, then steam.  Cuts the 2 weeks to 2 days.
    Brilliant!  I've heard of that method and, like alot of things, I've got to learn it the hard way before getting wise.  For those who've done it both ways, how do they compare?  (Aside from it being difficult to find an 8 lb St. Patty's corned beef . . .
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Awesome , well played...this is on my bucket list, thanks for tipping me in the right direction
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Awesome , well played...this is on my bucket list, thanks for tipping me in the right direction
    Lots of time, good amount of effort (but not particularly difficult or complex). BUT very worth doing. Incredibly satisfying project and the results really were awesome — even for a (former) virgin. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    great work there! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    did you follow ruhlmans recipe?
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Reuben tonight. Made for me by the Prince, who is home from college. German rye (with sauerkraut baked in), emmentaler, home mixed russian dressing with sweet/hot pickles in place of relish. My pastrami. Dukes mayo slathered on the bread before grilling. Game, set, match. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Best pastrami yet!!

billyraybillyray  Posts: 1,145

Took a corned piece of brisket and made pastrami yesterday. I used the following recipe, the #1 way, but added some additional cracked pepper and it was outstanding. This is the best one I've done so far. 4 pounder at 250 indirect for about 6 hours with pecan wood to 170 internal temp. We'll never by pastrami out again.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Reuben tonight. Made for me by the Prince, who is home from college. German rye (with sauerkraut baked in), emmentaler, home mixed russian dressing with sweet/hot pickles in place of relish. My pastrami. Dukes mayo slathered on the bread before grilling. Game, set, match. 

Dude. Strong. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Bump....I want to do a test run on this ...can one do a packer? If so any pointers so it cures equally ...I want more meat that just a flat and like the pastrami,points I've had....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Brilliant!  I've heard of that method and, like alot of things, I've got to learn it the hard way before getting wise.  For those who've done it both ways, how do they compare?  (Aside from it being difficult to find an 8 lb St. Patty's corned beef . . .
    Depends on the corned beef. A lot of the St. Patty's corned beef is not of the best quality - massive quantities produced for the event. If you get a quality corned beef then smoke it yourself that will be fine.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.