Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

like a scavenger hunt

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,894
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On the way home from work tonight I stopped by two super markets - one a large Kroger supuerstore to buy unsalted sweet butter to make RhumAndJerk's ghee. I might as well been on a scavenger hunt like when I was a kid. Besides not being able to find it when I asked knowledgeable-appearing clerks in the diary sections they looked like I was asking for genuine cheese from the moon. Is unsalted a health store item or what? If nothing else I've got a mission for Saturday morning!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    RRP,
    This should be an easy item to find. Unsalted butter is also known as sweet butter. There may also be a local name for it that I am not aware of. I generally purchase Land ‘O Lakes brand, it comes in a blue box. The normal salted butter will come in yellow box. I am pretty sure that Land O’ Lakes is a national brand and not limited to the North, maybe someone in the South could help with brand names.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    RRP,
    Sorry, I just looked and it appears that you are more in the Chicagoland area. You should have no problem finding Land O’ Lakes Unsalted butter in a blue box.
    R&J[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RRP,
    Just put some pepper in. That'll balance it out![p]Sorry, feeling a bit goofy today. Like R&J says, this is a pretty standard item. Ask someone at the store who looks like they DON'T know what they are talking about! They are usually the most intelligent![p]Man, I need some food.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, it was actually Land of Lakes brand that I was looking for specifically. I found plently of theirs and other brands of "sweet" butter but they also were clearly marked as salted also. Our little burg here has about 110k population so hopefully I'll find it tomorrow, besides I love the challenge...which will probably mean I'll stop at the "-4" and find it in 10# pails!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, Sniffin' rancid ribs makes you a little goofy, does it? Did they offer you any apologies or discounts for your time and gas money to return their rotten ribs? I find a lot of places won't/don't even take customer inconvience into consideration when rectifying their own errors/poor products. How was the chicken? :)
    Qfan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Costco is not known for personal customer service! No apologies. They have a guy at the door who puts an orange sticker on stuff you are returning. He asked me to open the tied up trash bag that I put them in. When I told him they were stinky rotten ribs, he let me go in.[p]Chicken was awesome. And the wife definitely prefers that over ribs!![p]Enjoy your week off.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, yup, that's what my 2 box's said also. Blue one. LOL (Land O Lakes) :-)