Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuck! Did the Basics, Need Ideas for Next Cooks

Nearly two year egger here, I've been working on my pork butt, chicken thighs, ribs and did a brisket once.  What's your favorite BGE cook/recipe that you do over and over again since it's so great?!
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    SGH’s appetizer ranks right up there. Or have you tried pizza yet?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I’ve only had my egg a couple of years and I have trouble making the same thing twice. Since it functions as a smoker, a grill, and an oven - sometimes in conjunction - the possible cooks are nearly endless. I can’t help with a favorite - maybe paella?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Think of any food you enjoy, hit the search function here and you will find several threads about it.  Or google the same parameters, read the recipe and insert BGE wherever they mention the oven or grill or smoker or...
    No end-point in sight.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    • Pizza!!
    • Lollipop chicken legs
    • Stuffed meatloaf
    • Fatties of all descriptions (bacon explosion especially)
    • Stuffed (chickens, pork tenderloins, really everything)
    • Chili... Brisket, OTT, Basic, all of em
    • Soup. Take all those bones you have been smoking and boil them for a couple days... strain and add meat, veggies and some seasoning then on the egg with the lid off for 8 hours or so
    • BREAD.. slippery slope on this one
    • change your rubs, sauces, cook temps. Everything makes a difference

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    My cooking turned a corner when I started using cast iron.  Get a skillet and a Dutch oven, and make deep dish pizza and bread.  Do a Google search for Griffins Grub for his deep dish recipe. He’s on here as @Griffin. I’ve followed it to the letter and it is KILLER.  My wife requests it for birthdays, mother’s day, etc.  

I use the Dutch Oven for smoked sirloin chili.  It’s on the BGE website and it’s won me several competitions.  

Another Dutch oven recipe that works well is bread.  A super easy recipe is called “Julie’s camp bread.”  Really versatile and easy to tweak.  We did one with cheddar and rosemary that turned out great.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Driller
    Driller Posts: 56
    I am a newbie.  I loved my St. Louis Style ribs.  Overdid the Baby backs.  I cannot understand the brine thing as it seems to make things too salty.  I try to keep the "smoke" down.  The food in general comes out so nice an moist and I have to say the best thing so far has been chicken pieces.... not my favorite but just the way they came out as moist as they were.

I do not understand the pizza thing but maybe it is because I am either lazy or cheap.  It has to cost a lot more on an Egg than it does from the neighborhood pizza guy. So....... #1 is tenderloin steaks.  Tremendous sear while I have onions and mushrooms going on the cast-iron griddle next door.

But in final answer to the question.  I'll do them all again except that damned duck.  I guess that is why duck is popular in restaurants as it is a PIA to make it at home. 
    Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Spare ribs, spare rib, spare ribs.  There is a noted chef who once said it took 5000 tries to get something just right. For a home cook, that means at least 2/wk to get good.

If I could find them & afford them, beef plate ribs.

• Meatloaf. I have no desire for non-egged meatloaf anymore. A meatloaf on the egg is easy and so much better than a meatloaf in the oven. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Try lasagna. 

Little Rock, AR

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Meatloaf

pizza

calzones

beef ribs

tri tip

lately - duck breasts
    XL BGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Baked potatoes, smoked peppers, grilled pineapple, deep dish pizza, pies, redfish on the half shell.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Baked spaghetti and meatballs, meatloaf, etc. Try things you may normally cook in oven. Not necessary to use egg of course, but I like the subtle hint of smoke given by the egg for these traditional dishes. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    edited January 2018
    Pepper stout beef is requested often of me.

edit: is often requested of me?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    We do boneless chicken breast often. Sometimes a whole package and sometimes stuffed and wrapped with speck. There are a ton of things you can stuff the breast with and the regular ones freeze well and can be used later for lots of things
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Try some wok cooking if you like oriental.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    +1 for pizza. I also get asked to do spatch chickens a lot. We love bbq so boston butts are done frequently. Oh and recently, bread pudding in the dutch oven has been a holiday hit.
    LBGE
    AL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Hot dogs are killer on the egg. Smoked sausage is great also.
    Simple things can be good too.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    fish, pizza, meatloaf, desserts, cookies, chuck roasts are excellent when egged! and I haven't done chili but I really want to
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Try some wok cooking if you like oriental.

This ^^^
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I think you’re limiting yourself bro.. ANY AND ALL food can be done on the egg. You can do a 30 second sear tuna on the egg, beef ribs, shrimp, anything man. 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Steak, chuck roast, use the cast iron and make a braised version of carnitas. Turkey breast, moist and tasty on the egg. Cornish game hens, a picnic is like a butt but different. Pork tenderloin and loin roasts, beef loin roast bone in or not. Wings, really big shrimp. Different rubs and sauces make any one meat into numerous dishes.
    Cooking on the coast