Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just ordered a pitmaker vault

Options
2»

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    DMW said:
    lousubcap said:
    @Thatgrimguy - well said.  I don't run in your league or ever aspire to but at some point the sleep component becomes a major driver.  If I am on the hook for an early PM finished protein then the BGE every time.  Otherwise, I enjoy the challenge of the stick burner. 
    I will add that the "New Toy" factor also plays heavily!! lol
    That, right there, is reason enough.
    Not sure about your household but it is getting harder to convince my wife that a “new toy” is a good reason for another cooker  =).  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @DMW -  I have walked myself back from additional cooker purchases (not in the XXL or Pitmaker category) enough times now that I have resolved that I am good with where I am.  Took a while and the fact that "what are you gonna cook/do with that that you can't do right now, especially at your age?" and failing to answer with true conviction beyond " You wouldn't understand" to enable me to calm down.  I still check out the web-sites of every new rig that gets mentioned here but I have weaned myself of the next new rig, or so I keep telling myself. FWIW-  
    I think an offset in the shape of a submarine would be awesome.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac  they aren't too far off the mark right now.  Must be the subliminal draw to stick burners.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thatgrimguy said:
    ... I'm going to throw the craziest Thanksgiving ever next year. Maybe I can talk my local Air Force base into sending me 100 or so Active MIlitary to feed.
    I can’t wait to see this. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Big cooks are hard enough work already. I'm with you it's perfect for doing charity events. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The vault is basically a square egg from an efficiency stand point.  It definitely isn't as hungry and the extra space is huge. Need to cook something bigger, like a whole beef leg :lol: , just remove some racks.

This is mine with 4 briskets, 4 slabs of beef ribs and 4 butts.  

I've done 15 racks of ribs at once, 8 briskets and 16 butts.  If you want more space for ribs, Pitmaker can mod so you can get up to 10 racks (*the first Vault pictured has the mod).

I find that I cook hotter with the vault, but I stay around the 300 mark.  Most peeps with the vault cook around 350, especially the Pitmaker guys.  I was hesitant at first, but my product is better and I spend a lot less time on long smokes.  I've got up to 450 before, but you'll need a lot of fuel.  Most of the Pitmaker folks use Kingsford briquettes.  I mainly use lump, half splits and chunks...lately it's more of a lump/chunk combo.

Hit me up if you have any questions.  I'll PM you my number.  Enjoy!!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mad Jelly :plus_one:
    I've looked at getting the Vault or Safe on more than one occasion. You'll love the extra space. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I remember that @SGH Scottie cranked his Pit Maker Vault to 425 trying to get that last Brisket to break loose at the first Brisket Camp! Took another 20 minutes to finish but it had finally relaxed and had the jiggle! Tasted great also. =)

Congrats Scott on the new cooker!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Pit Maker Vaults are really nice. I came close to buying one this past spring. I ultimately decided to go with a Cookshack FEC 120 pellet smoker.
    I wanted something with more capacity than my large egg. I also wanted a cooker that could run by itself during the night.

I would love to have a Pit Maker Vault also, I'm sure the flavor of the product produced is outstanding.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sounds like a great addition. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have been searching and searching for my next option... wanted something less.. easy. Wanted actual wood.

i found a local ex welder, well ex union welder, still welds, that makes pits about 20 minutes from me.  I am moving next month and getting it made after that, but here is a picture of what I am considering.

His name is Garnet and Gstackcustomsmokers is IG if anyone in NorCal, or even SoCal is looking for a pit. He also makes trailers, reverse flow pits etc.. he customizes.

and No, I am not him. Lol. 
    -B
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Soon, I am gonna be making racks on racks of ribs.

I been off the forum some, but can’t be stated enough how cool the charity part is. During NorCal fires Op BBQ came out, Guy Fieri too and cooked for the crews and displaced people. 

When youre in a good situation a BBQ meal seems.. good.. but when you’re in dire circumstances it is elevated. A plate of food can help get your mind off a situation at hand for a few minutes and that is reason enough to do it. I wasn’t affected by the fires personally, about 15 miles from me.