Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Maiden Voyage

Options

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    I would be 500 lbs if I owned one of those.  I love pizza and those look great.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would be 500 lbs if I owned one of those.  I love pizza and those look great.

sure makes it easy. It's going to be a problem. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    I am guessing with the gas there is little clean up. If using wood is there somewhere for the ashes to go, self contained in that burner maybe
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    I am guessing with the gas there is little clean up. If using wood is there somewhere for the ashes to go, self contained in that burner maybe

self contained. You just dump it out after it cools down. I'm going to lay around with it tonight. I keep meaning too but the gas is so freaking easy and fast. I'm just going to play with temps and see how I like it without actually cooking anything this evening. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    ....I'm just going to play with temps and see how I like it without actually cooking anything this evening. 
    Booooooooooooo

Booooooooooooooooooo

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You could at least make a couple of sacrificial Margherita pizzas
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    A guy has a Roccbox about 45min from me for sale.  He's dropped to $364.  Why that value is beyond me.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Can you turn down the temperature to 450 or so? I bet you can cook some killer roasted veggies in there too. If you’re just playing, try making these - they actually handle high heat pretty well. http://www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    A guy has a Roccbox about 45min from me for sale.  He's dropped to $364.  Why that value is beyond me.  
    It's Facebook marketplace. Everytime you re-up your ad it asks if you want to drop the price by 10% of the current price. So he's likely re-up'd it several times. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I think I need a pizza bike with two Roccboxes!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    ....I'm just going to play with temps and see how I like it without actually cooking anything this evening. 
    Booooooooooooo

Booooooooooooooooooo

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You could at least make a couple of sacrificial Margherita pizzas

or some post colonial naan since I have no starter. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

get it. That's smoking hot. Half price and they have only been out a few months in the US. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Can you turn down the temperature to 450 or so? I bet you can cook some killer roasted veggies in there too. If you’re just playing, try making these - they actually handle high heat pretty well. http://www.seriouseats.com/amp/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

with gas you can control the temp and it's pretty responsive. I think wood would be difficult since its either on or off (no wood regulator that I know of other than use more or less wood). There are some good suggestions on how to do veg, meat, and fish in cast iron. I'll be doing that for sure. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I think I need a pizza bike with two Roccboxes!!

I saw this guy when I was doing my research. He's a fan. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ooooh-oooh! Super cool. Lit right up and was blasting fire in 30 seconds. So far I’ve noticed that The fire rolls much further across the top with wood. Oh man- can’t wait to try that out. Tomorrow for lunch me thinks. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    With wood isn’t it essentially a rocket stove type configuration?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Runs strong for about 20 minutes on some large chips (about a fistfull) and 2 small chunks. Was very surprised by how little it takes to keep it going. This is going to be my thing. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    This is going to be my thing. 
    Isn’t it cool when we get fun toys that crank out great food? I’m glad it is working so well. Keep posting your cooks with it. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    With wood isn’t it essentially a rocket stove type configuration?
    That’s a good comparison. Looks like the same type of setup to me. 
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Runs strong for about 20 minutes on some large chips (about a fistfull) and 2 small chunks. Was very surprised by how little it takes to keep it going. This is going to be my thing. 
    My wife has always wanted a wood fired pizza oven, this just might fit the bill. Waiting further results
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Great post! I keep looking for a William Sonoma Discount code to work with this...
    How much more propane do you think this thing sucks compared to a Blackstone?
    I just called William Sonoma customer service and asked why code (UPICK) did't work and she looked it up and there are no restrictions, placed the order over the phone and she credited me the the 20%,  So now I wait for the delivery its out of stock.  Due 2/9
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • 20stone
    Options
    Ooooh-oooh! Super cool. Lit right up and was blasting fire in 30 seconds. So far I’ve noticed that The fire rolls much further across the top with wood. Oh man- can’t wait to try that out. Tomorrow for lunch me thinks. 

Such a waste to have all that fire and no food in there.

You and your incrementalism...
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:

Such a waste to have all that fire and no food in there.

You and your incrementalism...
    I've been accused of many things but this is a first for incrementalism.

Funny how things are all relative. In my other life, I am considered to always be pushing the boundaries. In your world, I am just a speed bump trying to slow things down a little. Very strange. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    I've been accused of many things but this is a first for incrementalism.

Funny how things are all relative. In my other life, I am considered to always be pushing the boundaries. In your world, I am just a speed bump trying to slow things down a little. Very strange. 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker , brake man

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Keeping up with the Joneses fo sho.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Little update- We fired up the box with wood last night. Nobody noticed a bit of difference in taste from the gas and it's a total PITA to mess with the wood. I'm sure I could get better at it but I don't see why I would since there is no flavor difference. I like the wood flavor I get on my BGE for pizza so I can use that any time I want that style of pie. One of the pies stuck to the peel and all the ingredients dumped right in to the oven. I switched to gas to burn it all out and things were so easy after that. Cranked out 4 more pies in under 10 min and they were all pretty good for a guy who had been drinking since noon. 

So for me, this is going to be a gas oven with my BGE taking over when I want wood fired. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'll save back some small pieces of lump and see how a coal fired cook goes sometime soon. There is really no smoke to be seen or smelled once it gets going because the combustion is so clean. It seems to roll across the top and out before imparting any flavor. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I get the same results with the wood fired oven. There is almost no wood smell imparted to the food. If I want some smoke flavor I use the egg. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I get the same results with the wood fired oven. There is almost no wood smell imparted to the food. If I want some smoke flavor I use the egg. 

yep- glad to have both options. The Roccbox is just makes it so easy to have pizza night with an hour's notice (time for the quick dough recipe to rise)I got some sourdough starter from @20stone yesterday so we are going to play with sourdough crust this week. 

• Woodchunk
    Options
    Thanks for the update. Very helpful