Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep fryer

So, what is everyone's opinion on on deep fryer?
Is it just as good or easier to have a pot and a burner or a dedicated fryer like a Cajun Fryer?

Steve

Comments

• I like the temperature control of the purpose built fryers, as well as the grease-catching filter they usually have on the lid vents.  I figured it was a silly purchase, until we got one about 10 years ago, but I was very surprised by how much I like it.

Fryers are cool...
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    The R&V Cajun fryer is the way to go. I have a bayou classic (cheaper Chinese version) and use it more so than the egg some weeks. You will not regret buying one. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have one, but haven't used it in years. I never deep fry anything any more. Not healthy.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I've wanted one, but am concerned I'd use it too much.  I keep coming back to the R&V 6 gallon, and will probably end up with one at some point.

Now I use a cast iron wok on a high output induction burner.  The wok was a step up from a dutch oven, with the heavy bottom for heat retention and increased surface area.
    Phoenix 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I like the induction burner/Dutch oven combo for safe frying.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • I have one, but haven't used it in years. I never deep fry anything any more. Not healthy.
    I swear to Christ man you’re on the wrong friggin forum lol.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I have the R&V 4 gal model. It is a game changer!
    That said I would recommend getting the 6 gal.

chicken fried bacon
    deep fried bologna cubes
    deep fried sausage
    pig cakes
    fried maple bourbon shots
    fried caramel rum shots
    deep fried pig shots (thanks to @frognot )

Just a few of the items we have deep fried other than the standard stuff!! =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    I have the cheap 2.5gal Bayou Classic SS model and love it.  Use it mainly for buffalo wings and frying ribs....and oysters.  With this particular fryer design, you never have to chase grease temps......very little swing.  Don't be intimidated by the small size of the 2.5gal basket.  You can fry for a bigger crowd than you might imagine.  
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • pdevoy
    pdevoy Posts: 25
    camp chef 2 burner explorer stove. deep fry fish on one side and french-fries on the other. use the BGE for any other protein or side dish you need. there are other accessories  that are useful and relatively inexpensive like the CI griddle and pizza oven. now you can cook just about anything with this setup   
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    blasting said:

I've wanted one, but am concerned I'd use it too much.  I keep coming back to the R&V 6 gallon, and will probably end up with one at some point.

Now I use a cast iron wok on a high output induction burner.  The wok was a step up from a dutch oven, with the heavy bottom for heat retention and increased surface area.

I have the R&V Works 6 gallon. It's amazing. So easy to use. Only downside is you are using a LOT of oil. My wife is pretty picky on reusing oil too. As soon as she tastes a previous meal in the french fries she's ready for me to dump it. So I only get a couple to three cooks out of the oil.  I've been thinking about getting the 2.5 gallon for when it's just us and the kids.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I have this one,basically because it was free- I don't do much frying but the first time I use this I was impressed. Did 60 Brisket Egg Rolls, and this thing never missed a beat, held temp with no issues, you are able to drain and strain the oils into a container below the fryer.... 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @Thatgrimguy Thanks - that's very useful feedback.  
    Phoenix 
  • lkapigian said:
    I have this one,basically because it was free- I don't do much frying but the first time I use this I was impressed. Did 60 Brisket Egg Rolls, and this thing never missed a beat, held temp with no issues, you are able to drain and strain the oils into a container below the fryer.... 

We have this one also and have been quite pleased to date. The oil pan makes cleanup and storage easy and efficient.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a bayou classic double basket.  Cooked some chicken tenders and fries tonight before we went to see Star Wars.

Really a great way to feed a lot of people quick with very little cleanup.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Looking good, what kind of batter on chicken?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tspud1 said:

Looking good, what kind of batter on chicken?
    Bread flour, Tony Chachere's seasoning, baking powder with an egg dip.
    I've been happy with the pot on the stove for small stuff but love my big turkey burner for parties, canning, big batches of corn on the cob etc and of course boiling wort for homebrew. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.