Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-rex on the small?

Options
Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I scored a 2.5 pound cowboy steak at a new meat shop in NH today. (They had tri tip too!) I have the small heating up but I haven't done a t-rex on the small egg. Has anyone done this on the small? Should I fire up the large instead?[p]Paul

Comments

• Essex County,[p]I do them at 550-600F on a regular set-up small and so far the gasket has survived. Just be careful shutting down at that temp. let it cool down below 400 to preserve the gasket.
  • Essex County
    Options
    Richard,
    Thanks for the info. When I went to check the temp, it was already at 700! I've done the sear and it looks great.[p]Paul

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Essex County,
    If I recall, T-Rex created the T-Rex process on a small. I remember seeing some photos of smalls lit up like a furnace but for some reason mine has a hard time reaching that lofty temperature. Could be the lump.[p]Spring "Small Is Good, Big Is Gooder" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Essex County,
    you bonehead. why wouldn't it work?[p]give it a shot.
    in fact, that's how we cooked the dry-aged stuff. i usually hot-tub, but the Trex seemed more direct (no pun intended).[p]how was the conf? and did you like the meat shop? i didn't notice the tri-tip, i was too agog at the dry-aged stuff.[p]did you grab any?[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    Essex County,
    700, huh?[p]first couple cooks 700 was no issue. now i'm mr. 600. i think even a small bit of ash restricts airflow.[p]i'm toying with drilling some more holes in the firebox and taking a bastard file to the lower opening, as well as swapping out the cast iron grate with expanded metal mesh.[p]whattaya think?

• Essex County
    Options
    stike,
    I think it was the large whispering that I couldn't t-rex on the small. The Meat Store was fantastic. I did pick up a small tri tip. They had flat iron and skirt steaks laid out like jewelry. I wanted to buy more stuff but didn't want to freeze it. Heck, it's only a 15 minute ride from here.[p]Paul

• Essex County
    Options
    stike,
    That all sounds great. I also find that the small is easy to clog. Maybe if you could use the expanded wire mesh to make an inverted bowl shape, the ashes wouldn't be able to sit on top of it. [p]Paul

• Essex County
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Right after I wrote my post, I checked on its progress. Flames shooting out the top! Problem solved. In fact, the problem never existed! Thanks for the history lesson.[p]Small does it all
    Paul

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    100_1009.jpg
    <p />Essex County,
    they had tri tips there, i didnt make it past the cowboy steaks either. nice shop they have there. for high heat, you have to remove the firebox in the small almost every time and clean it, atleast with mine

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    Essex County,
    i propose a mini-new england egg fest. we should try a few cuts of their stuff. did the Ny strip and rib eye (both aged). i wet my pants both times.[p]soiling oneself is always a good measure of how things taste.[p]fishless did that cowboy steak too.[p]

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Essex County,
    I have never been able to get my small to Trex temps - although I do continue to try. Yesterday I had a real nice 20 oz t-bone and being to lazy to tear down the indirect set up on the large (did a double smoked ham on Sat which was outstanding, but I don't eat enough ham to know if it was really that much better then a regular ham) I decided to give the small another shot. Still topped out at 600, but the cooking grate is closer to the coals (at least the way I load it) so I still got a good cook, just not at Trex temps.[p]As I was doing this I was thinking how lucky we all are that Trex came up with method. You can say "I am going to Trex a steak" and although people may not know what that means, it still sounds like it is going to be good. Just think if one of our other forum members had coined this and you had to say I am going to "fishlessman a steak" or I am going to "Spring Chicken a steak" or I am going to"Chubby a steak" or I am going to "BurntRaw a steak!" Just don't sound right.[p]Thank you Trex.

• Essex County
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]I guess it could go the other way too. Like, "Dammit, I stiked another steak!" ;)[p]Paul

• stike
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    distance to the coals is what's important, not dome temp.
    a dome-open sear on the large would have a dome temp that is irrelevant, but would yield the same sear as if the domw were shut and it said 800.[p]the top of the steak wouldn't cook as fast because it's not getting hot air on it, but you aren't baking anyway, you are searing.[p]my point is that if your small is roaoring away with orange/yellow hot coals, and it says "600" you steak is searing at the same temps as in a large with yellow/orange coals that says 800.[p]in fact, distance from lump (it's a radiant heat) is the trump card. i'd wager you could get a quicker sear at 600 directly on the coals in a small, than at 900 in a large[p]

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    Essex County,
    I have been using that for long time as everyone knows what it means. Even my boss will say, "Hey, don't Stike that up!"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Essex County,
    LOL, that works just fine.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BurntRaw,[p]Make yourself a chimney for the top. It will increase the draft and give you higher temps.[p]Mike
  • fishlessman,[p]Ditto on the cleaning to get high heat. "Fluffy" charcoal helps too, Duraflame or Cowboy.[p]rb