Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloins

Kansas
Kansas Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A grocery store in Kansas City has pork tenderloins on sale this weekend for $2.99 a pound and I thought I would stock up. I have prepared them in the past with just a rib rub most of the time, but occaisionally a soy sauce and pinapple juice marinade. Does anyone have a favorite marinade for pork tenderloins?[p]John

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Kansas,[p]I do mine just like you have. Char-Crust and 45min at 375 and they are wonderful. Moore's and Dales marinate are good choices, but they are manly soy sauce.[p]Tim
  • Kansas,
    Kenny G's chop recipe makes a killer tenderloin too. Basically OJ and Mrs. Dog's jerk seasoning. Yum. Here is the link.

[ul][li]Kenny G's OJ Jerk[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Kansas,
    Try bourbon & brown sugar. Of course that jerk & OJ one is always a winner.... JCA

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Kansas, Here's one that's a little different, but familiar to most and along same lines as what you're already doing:
    Chinese Barbecued Pork
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons dry red wine
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons red food colouring (optional, but gives that bright red finish that most of us equate with this dish when served in Chinese restaurants)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 green onion, cut in half
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 whole pork tenderloins (about 12 oz each) trimmed
    Combine ingredients in large bowl, add tenderloins and coat entirely. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour minimum, up to overnight, turning occasionally.
    Drain, reserving marinade. Place tenderloins on a rack over drip pan with water in (my preference). Get Egg into 325-340 range. No flavouring wood necessary, but hey, it's your dinner, add some fruitwood if you like.
    Cook in this manner for 40 minutes or so, turning and basting with remaining marinade, every 15-20 mins, until into the 140 internal range.
    Remove drip pan and cook direct, 300-325, until the coating 'sets', avoiding burning the tenderloins and its coating. Should only take a matter of minutes.
    Serve either hot or cold, whatever turns yer crank. Eat this and half hour later you'll be hungry again....for more!
    BBQfan1

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Kansas, Here's one that's a little different, but familiar to most and along same lines as what you're already doing:
    Chinese Barbecued Pork
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons dry red wine
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons red food colouring (optional, but gives that bright red finish that most of us equate with this dish when served in Chinese restaurants)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 green onion, cut in half
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    2 whole pork tenderloins (about 12 oz each) trimmed
    Combine ingredients in large bowl, add tenderloins and coat entirely. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour minimum, up to overnight, turning occasionally.
    Drain, reserving marinade. Place tenderloins on a rack over drip pan with water in (my preference). Get Egg into 325-340 range. No flavouring wood necessary, but hey, it's your dinner, add some fruitwood if you like.
    Cook in this manner for 40 minutes or so, turning and basting with remaining marinade, every 15-20 mins, until into the 140 internal range.
    Remove drip pan and cook direct, 300-325, until the coating 'sets', avoiding burning the tenderloins and its coating. Should only take a matter of minutes.
    Serve either hot or cold, whatever turns yer crank. Eat this and half hour later you'll be hungry again....for more!
    BBQfan1

• Kansas,
    For a little taste of the Southwest, here's my
    "PUERCO ADOBO":[p]enough for a two pack of tenderloins:[p]!2oz. jar of jalepeno peppers undrained
    4 teaspoons of oregano
    2-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
    2 teaspoons of ground cumin
    4 teaspoons of red wine vinegar (cider will do)
    4 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 teaspoon of black pepper
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt[p]Blend all ingredients in blender. In large plastic bag or dish, combine blended marinade with pork and refrigerate
    4 to 24 hours.[p]Cook it on the Egg anyway you like. The heat of the marinade will not be imparted to the meat as much as you think, so the little ones and your grandmother will eat it, too.
    Bon Apetit
    Big Murth

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Kansas,
    Stubb's Marinade for Pork is great for pork tenderloins. I don't know if the groceries have it in you area. If so, it's worth trying.
    JimW