Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another "Is it OK to eat it" question

Options
Hub
Hub Posts: 927
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
Bought a fresh pork butt on Sunday.  Stored it in the fridge overnight, and then cooked it low and slow yesterday, mainly at 250 degrees.  The cook took longer than anticipated, and at bedtime last night the internal temp was still only 175.  I pulled it, wrapped it in foil, and put it in the fridge.  After work today, I removed the foil, put it in the oven and cooked it to an internal of 203.

Is it safe to eat? Why or why not? I had a terrible bout with food poisoning less than a month ago and I'm running pretty gun shy.  I definitely don't want to go through that again.  Thanks for your input. 
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• tclamberth
    Options
    Yes. Why would it not be would be my question
    Memphis raised me, T-Town made me...Aint never been nothing but a winner
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Totally safe given your 175 finish and refrigeration. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hub
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes. Why would it not be would be my question

I usually cook a pork butt to 198-205 without interruption.  This is the first time that I had an interrupted cook.  I'm probably being overly cautious and gun shy, but trust me, if you had to deal with what I had to deal with a few weeks ago, you are afraid to eat anything and everything.  I just want to be sure that the interrupted cook didn't cause any issues.
  • Hub
    edited December 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Totally safe given your 175 finish and refrigeration. 
    Thank you Brent.  My two dogs were hoping you would give a different answer.  =)

I'm still nervous though.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Dumb question if I may ... after pulling did you chill the meat with or without the foil, before putting in fridge?  Before storing cooked food in fridge we chill it using double pan method - food (solid or liquid) in inner pan, ice water in outer pan.
    canuckland
  • Hub
    Options
    Dumb question if I may ... after pulling did you chill the meat with or without the foil, before putting in fridge?

I was dog tired and out of time, so I pulled it, sat it on my Boos cutting board, and almost immediately wrapped it in heavy duty aluminum foil and placed it in the fridge.  Does this create an issue?  Today when I unwrapped the butt there was a jelly like substance in the bottom of the foil.  I've never seen that before.

• Canugghead
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the jelly like substance, imo it's just chilled fat/juice.  Potential problem with wrapping hot food immediately is the trapped heat could keep the food in warm so called danger zone for prolonged period. I'm not expert, sure others will chime in.
    p.s. read my additional comment re double pan chilling above.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Absolutely agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker, we just find that the ice water method is the fastest I can chill stuff at home.  Water conducts heat faster than air.

Reminds me of how we used to defrost freezer with hair dryer, duh!  Now we defrost with towel soaked in hot water.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You're fine, as the posts above reaffirm.

Something about food poisoning, and I'd like to see others' experience.  I got my first bout about 15 years ago, from a piece of dried beef I left out overnight, thought it was okay since it was "dried", and chopped it up into my breakfast omelette.  I puked and puked, was bedridden for 4 days, and like you @Hub just wanted to die.  Lost over 15 lbs.  
    I've gotten food poisoning 3 more times since then, all from "food carts" (which I no longer patronize).  I had a night of puking and an unhappy day the next day in each case, but it was 10% the bad experience, compared to the first time.
    I've also read a lot of food history about how chiles and peppers were used to mask the taste/smell of rotten meat, throughout time; and it makes me think the human system eventually adapts to bad food, and they just keep eating.  

So, those of you who have had food poisoning more than once, do they get "easier", with each subsequent bout?  

Apologies to the OP, didn't mean to turn this into a gross, scientific survey, but I guess I did.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Vac sealing and dropping in an ice water bath would be the fastest way to chill it. Unless you have a blast chiller at home.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Options
    DMW said:
    Vac sealing and dropping in an ice water bath would be the fastest way to chill it. Unless you have a blast chiller at home.
    not if you're using a chamber sealer though!
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    not if you're using a chamber sealer though!
    Stop mentioning those. I don't have room.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    If you are in Minnesota, just set it outside on the deck.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Botch - I've only been down that road twice; and neither trip was nearly as challenged as you experienced.  The first time some 30+ years ago took around 30 hours to develop.  Had attended a shipmate's home-hosted party (Sat PM) and many of us got it.  I must have enjoyed the poison more than most-I ended up getting two liters of fluid (IV) the day it hit (Mon) but was back to work the next day.
    Second one was around 20 hours to kick in but only lasted the night.  No need for any IV's.  All good the next day.  Of course my diet is likely ready for any internal food combat challenges  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hub
    Options
    Just want to say thanks for all the help boys.  The wisdom on this forum is immeasurable.  @Cen-Tex Smoker and @ Canugghead I once again learned something I didn't know.  It wasn't pulling it at 175 that was my error, but instead not letting it cool before wrapping it and putting in the fridge.  I just now chopped it up.  It sure looks and smells good.  My two dogs don't seem to be concerned.  Here we go .....
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Since you only got to 175, I’m guessing that the “pulling” was tough.  For reheating, I would go slow, with lots of moisture - almost a braise.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    In the other thread I said I would eat it and in this case I would also eat it. Without reservations.

Funnily enough tho, this article was in my newspaper today - perhaps it's an omen. :)

https://pilotonline.com/life/flavor/article_920d930f-80c3-5719-8ab4-1b8603bceea8.html

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The jelly like substance was just that, jelly, or, more correctly, gelatin. That's the good stuff that makes PP succulent, and is the sign of a really good stock.

Botch, I've had food poisoning at least 5 times, but never near as bad as you. The last 2 times were probably the worst. My 'fridge was dying, and I learned that one day the compartment would be down around freezing, and the next, up into the 50's. At the usual 35 - 40F for 'fridges, cooked food should be OK for up to 4 days. Both the last times I got sick were after 24 - 32 hours.

My younger son, who should usually have been healthy enough to not suffer as much was worth

Not long after, my wife got sick probably from bacillus cereus on some poorly re-heated ravioli. BC is very nasty, and often is found on cooked rice. Causes projectile vomiting in adults, and can kill children and elders. For a couple of months we always erred on the side of caution.

I did lots of reading to figure out how to estimate the hazards, and suggest anyone else to do so, too.

Yet another review of the "safe zone."

The pathogens grow at any temperature above freezing and up to just under 130F. Just above freezing, the growth rate is so slow that problems take weeks to develop. Anything that was sitting at 110F for an hour or two must be assumed to have so many pathogens growing that there are lots to wipe out, and at 130+, which can take hours. Think of the growth rate as something like a cresting wave, w. the hazard at its most extreme just above human body temperature.

I believe there has been some modification of "safe zone." Don't recall exactly what, but it emphasizes the fact that the worst hazard occurs much faster between 80 - 110 F. Something thin  or small that can warm up quickly will become toxic a lot faster than 4 hours.

Among the things that modify the situations are the thickness of the cooling container, and its contents. Something like chicken salad, whose parts have all been exposed to air and human presence (we carry staph on out bodies) need to be chilled in metal containers no more the 2" thick. The insides of an 8" deep tray will stay warm long enough that the insides will be toxic before it gets down around 40F.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its been preserved with salt, smoke, then over cooked and chilled. im ok with that.  most i might have done differently is toss it outside for an hour or two before going in the fridge(friggin cold out there right now)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it