Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzones - always a winner

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the new ceramic grate for the egg yesterday in the mail, the other new metal? one still in process by by friend, should have this weekend and we'll see how it works. Anyway, with the new ceramic grate, the egg is operational again so I did some calzones last night. They were sausage, pepperoni and cheese Calzones, cooked for about 15 minutes at 475 indirect over cherry wood. There is some leftover for lunch today and I think I may take off a bit early to get at them.[p]Troy

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Sounds good. I think Calzones would be a good candidate for a demonstration cook at E2K+1 (Tim M, you were soliciting ideas a while back, correct?).[p]Cornfed
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I second that. Great idea.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    czone3.jpg
    <p />Cornfed,[p]Calzone would be a great thing to show but it does have some drawbacks that need to be worked out. A plate setter and stone could be used, but since all the Eggs have to be sold and carried off that evening, the ceramic mass (stone & setter) must be cool enough to handle. If the setter & stone came out at 1pm, would it be cool enough to handle by 3pm? The other problem is the prep needed to do the dough. I prefer sautéing the fillings first on the stove to insure they are cooked. Someone will do them - I hope. [p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Tim M,[p]The cook is entirely possible for the fest. The prep is similiar to pizza and the setter/stone needs to be removed to gain access to remove the charcoal to help cool the Egg when cooking is done. The setter and stone will cool faster than the Egg.[p]I do hope someone will do them also.[p]Spin