Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had the BGE for less than a week and I will be cooking a 11 lb turkey today. I have been searching the site and will be useing a stand up chicken beer can roaster in a drip pan. I am thinking of 300 degrees. How long should this take? Any help would be great.[p]mhmorg

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mhmorg,
    here is a detailed link to how i do em. .. . keep your eyes open for my thursday morning turkey tips, now through thanksgiving. .. HTH

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    mhmorg,
    Use the same temperatures you would use if you cooked in your oven. That rule of thumb will hold true for almost everything you cook on a ceramic.[p]Prep is also the same and as for upright or on a rack it's pretty much your choice. I do mine indirect with a drip pan at 375º for 12 -15 minutes per pound. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck and be careful with the smoke poultry can absorbe a lot and can throw some people off their feed. I let the lump I use add the smoke flavor.

• RittmanRod
    Options
    Sundown,
    I've been using Cowboy brand, what lump do you use? mine doesn't seem to smoke much, have been adding a few hickory chips, have seen hickory chunks, is there a winner in chips vs chunks?