Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - chamber vacuum sealer maintenance

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,516
edited May 2016 in Off Topic
For those that own one with oil pump, I have the vp215, remember the oil change!
The manual calls for oil replacement after x hours but who's counting, I try to do it once a year...

Used oil:

New oil...

canuckland

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Reviving an old thread. Just about to pull the trigger on a VP215. I've occasionally seen some reports of vac pumps failing and poor customer service from Vacmaster. Have you ever had any issues? Thanks.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Hibby
    Touch wood, it has been 3+ years and running, no issues. Thanks for the reminder, time for oil change!  I 'over maintain' by changing oil twice a year, cheap insurance. 
    canuckland
  • Hibby
    Options
    Thanks @Canugghead
    i placed my order today. 
    Cheers.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Congrats, you'll love it! Remember, if you vac seal any liquid make sure it's cold, even luke warm is no-no!
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Congrats, you'll love it! Remember, if you vac seal any liquid make sure it's cold, even luke warm is no-no!
    That's right.  For example, you can see in the attached graph that water will boil at 50C when the pressure is 100 millibar.

Image result
    Options
    That's a heck of a chart
  • Hibby
    Options
    So I have a question related to the boiling. Should everything or at least everything containing appreciable moisture be cold when vacuuming? Let's say carrots for example. If I Sous vide carrots with butter and the leftovers are sitting on the counter at room temperature, should I chill them first before vacuum sealing for fear of the moisture boiling from within?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The problem with boiling is that it makes a mess when liquid boils.

But you bring up a valid point.  I read of texture changes in meat from cellular damage because of the much lower pressures you can achieve with chamber sealers.  

I don't have one but the instruction manual should have guidelines with the pressure (might be via time if there is no pressure regulator) to maintain quality.
    Options
    @nolaegghead That chart is way over my head  :) 
    @Hibby room temp is fine, I usually don't chill liquid before vac sealing. When in doubt, watch the bag closely, if you see the content starting to bubble you can hit the red manual stop switch before the 'boiling' gets vigorous.  You'll get the hang of it.  You can also try playing with a very small amount of luke warm liquid in an oversized bag!

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Chart is easy.  Look up the temp and pressure and you will see the phase (solid, liquid or gas).  EZ
    Options
     Remember, if you vac seal any liquid make sure it's cold, even luke warm is no-no!

S
    o thats why I made that mess the other night!!!
  • Hibby
    Options
    Ok,another question. Do you (asking everyone) typically use 3 mil or 4 mil or thicker yet?
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    @nolaegghead

educating us one post at a time..

Hes a jack off all trades..

too many effings there...

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    That's right.  For example, you can see in the attached graph that water will boil at 50C when the pressure is 100 millibar.

Image result
    I don't see the plot that shows when water will boil on an Egg.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Ok,another question. Do you (asking everyone) typically use 3 mil or 4 mil or thicker yet?
    I use both 3 and 4 mil, anything thicker (probably pricey and hard to find too) will be overkill imo.  I like to fold back the bag opening when filling so the sealing zone stays dry/clean... 3 mil is easier to fold and unfold.  4 mil may be better for long term freezer storage and long high temp sous vide cooks; for most applications, e.g. marinating, short term storage, non-freezer storage, etc I prefer the 3 mil.
    canuckland
  • Hibby
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thanks again for the responses (all). I already love this thing but had to order a cart for it as it's far bigger on the counter than I anticipated. I'm going to be far more likely to take advantage of grocery deals (meats/cheeses, etc.). What else do you seal up?