Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFW Baby Backs

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gfw you truly are the man, I tryed this 3/1.5/1 deal with the foil. It made baby backs that feel off the bone. Used a little charcrust and some salt. Any one that is having a rib problem Gfw is the man to ask! Thanks for making me look like a hero Uncle Dave

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    UNcle Dave, thanks for the nice words - I merely took a method (3/2/1) posted last year by George and changed it to meet my objectives - that's the fun part, finding what works best for you! [p]Life is GOOD! :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Gfw, welcome back Gordon! As we said where I hail from...you've been outa pocket too long.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,[p]Nature Boy should jump in here since he remembers the names of the people so much better than I. NB, correct me where I am wrong.[p]As I recall, the foil wrap idea started with a minister in Maryland (can't recall his name,NB?) and he suggested a couple hours direct then 2 hrs in foil. I tried it and was less than impressed. I recall thinking of trying a direct cook at the end after the foil wrap, but I never tried it. There was a good bit of discussion on the method but few tried it and less liked it. One gentleman loved it and I asked if he had teeth (assuming he didn't like to chew). The 2-2 method (or maybe it was 3-1) left the ribs well steamed and soggy. Many call this "fall'n off the bone" but I think of it more as "fall'n in your lap" tender. As you mentioned, George did try the method and added some direct time afterwards. Then you modified it further and persuaded many of us to try it(not an easy task as I recall), few that did didn't like it, alot. I still prefer it when doing babybacks. The beauty of this forum is that many have tried methods and found they don't work and many have found methods that do and they can all be shared, changed, rearanged and modified to our wants and desires. The forum allows us all to share ideas and methods. [p]Tim[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's World of BGE[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Rev. Jim!!!! That's who it was. From Mississippi. Have not heard from him in a long time. He swore by his method for a long time among doubters. Good man.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Gfw, HI, Glad to see you posting again, we talked about your absence this past weekend at Mi. Eggfest. I tried to email you earlier but it was bounced back. ?
    Good to hear from you,
    ChefRD.

• Gfw, it wasn't this George. Must have been someone else.

• Gfw
    George, you're right, it was George T. who lives just down the road about 15 miles. [p]:~}
  • Gfw
    ChefRD, it's been a busy (and profitable) year so far - I typically spend a little time reading the posts and I still BBQ 3-4 times a week, I just don't post as often. The IRS changed all the proposed regs for IRA minimum distributions and I've been spending more time updating my web site at http://72t.net and contributing to an IRA discussion board at http://irahelp.com - new rules, lots of changes means lots of new opportunities. :~}