Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey XLargers

I'm considering an XL. I have a large and a mini and I enjoy cooking for family.

So here's my dilemma, I could be smoking on the large and Grilling on the mini and it seems like I don't have enough room. 

So my question is if you have more eggs than your XL and had to do it all over again would you buy the XL? To do more at one time?

Please help me break this egg fever!!

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I got the XL first and although I use the MMX a lot (less lump, faster heat up) I would still choose the XL as an only Egg. Turkey will arrive at the weekend, last year it was 30 lbs, no problem for the XL.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I do have "more than my XL". If I had to give up all my other cookers (please, no), the XL would be the one I keep.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited December 2017
    Do you have the adjustable rig and other accessories to max out the large? 

You can also always buy the XL and sell the large to offset costs. I just have a hard time with the footprint the smokers occupy. Recently sold another cooker due to lack of use and the footprint. 

Large, Mini and Mini Max owner here.

Good Luck
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW said:
    I do have "more than my XL". If I had to give up all my other cookers (please, no), the XL would be the one I keep.
    +1
    Flint, Michigan
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    DMW said:
    +1
    +2
  • I just purchased the AR tonight with the Rib and chicken set up. 13inch. Stone&spider 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    My set up L, XL and MM.  Make it so.  Great versatility.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    bgebrent said:
    My set up L, XL and MM.  Make it so.  Great versatility.
    https://youtu.be/sZt6eU5REN8
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited December 2017
    I cook the entire meal on my XL.  Meat, potato dish, vegetables, and more.  Most of the time I wish it were bigger. When I had the large, I had to put a lot of the side dishes on the pellet grill. 
    Sold the large and pellet grills when I moved up to the XL.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I started with an XL and Small.  Mini and Large came later.   If I started over I probably would start with an XL or Large.  Friends and family enjoy the cooking so it’s nice having the space.  You might see how much the AR changes your cooking capacity before splurging for the XL.  I don’t have an AR for my Large as I figured if I need much more capacity I just use the XL instead.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • You're right I'll see how the adjustable rig changes things before I splurge thanks for the advice
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I have the XL and love it! I bought the Weber summit extended grid to add another cooking level it was around $20

i also do a lot of cooking on my kettle too. Never felt a need for anything else

its real nice to lay out 3 full slabs of ribs flat on their bones and have room to spare :-)

on your other post re: getting the adjustable rig for your large, very good option to add cooking space. You could also get the adjustable rig for your xl if you go that route! 

Happy egging! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Here’s an old pic of three slabs with my grid extender holding some mac and cheese one of my favorite egged combos on my xl

and I know the eggmates are dirty thanks to the pro tip of @pgprescott I got some easy oven cleaner spray and they now look brand new :-)

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I have an XL, it was my first. I liked it so much, I bought the MiniMax, for travel. If I were to only have one cooker, the XL would be it. It offers the greatest versatility of them all, only needing slight modifications to do a lot of food.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I started with xl and wish i started with large.  I have two xl, one L and minimax.   90% or more of my cooking is on Large and Minimax
    If i were you, id get adj rig from cgs with rig extender, d grid up top two oval grids and th minimax with woo

Youll get more utility out of this than with xl.  Exception is if you do many large cooks for big groups....like 2 shoulders amd two briskys all at once...then xl is the way to go....
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I have an XL (is was my first), a yr later a MM and last month (2yr later) I just got a medium. My favorite it the XL it can cook anything 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    XL now and if get second will be large
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • I started with the XL as well, because I was worried about running out of room on a LG. I now have a MM for week night small cooks.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Thanks for the feedback
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I only have an XL - glad I started with this one 8 yrs ago. Hasn't been anything I haven't been able to do on it. The only thing I might consider adding is a raised rack as in the pic from Hans61.   
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Got a Mini-max and a medium. Want an XL next. 
  • I started with a Large and then purchased an XL.  I use the XL more than the L.  Love the XL.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I started with an XL. Cooked on my dad's Large for years.  I would never buy a large. It's the bastard middle child to me. Not big enough for me to care to smoke on it. And too big to grill on the way I do with my small.

If I buy another Egg for work or for the other side of my property it will be another XL.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    I started with an XL. Cooked on my dad's Large for years.  I would never buy a large. It's the bastard middle child to me. Not big enough for me to care to smoke on it. And too big to grill on the way I do with my small.

If I buy another Egg for work or for the other side of my property it will be another XL.
    Harsh words.
    Mountain View, CA
  • DoubleEgger
    dmourati said:

Harsh words.
    The truth hurts 
  • Alrighty then just tell us how you really feel.  thank you for your input I appreciate it. That really confirms an extra large right there
  • I have an XL and MM, but if I were to buy another, I would prefer to have two larges over an xl & large only because of one size eggcesories. Two XL would be way too much for me. Also I’m not so sure that the price increase is equal to the cooking surface. Two larges would be awesome especially with the AR, toss brisket in one and 6 racks of ribs in the other, that would be a good party. Not that I don’t love my xl, but if I did it all over, two larges all the way. If I’m gonna spend $2g+ on a smoker and accessories  I’m gonna go for some type of stick burner. Just my thoughts.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    dmourati said:

Harsh words.
    The truth hurts 
    Large is the overwhelming best selling egg nationwide. Just saying. 
  • DoubleEgger
    dmourati said:

Harsh words.
    The truth hurts 
    Thanks for your insight Pete
  • Hans61
    dmourati said:

Harsh words.
    The truth hurts 
    Yeah, being bought by noobs :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf