Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite dry rubs- search function yielded many options

Options
There have been a few active thread posts where new (at least to me) rubs have been mentioned.  Since the Xmas clock is running, I wonder who has found a great dry rub outside of the forum regulars.  Feel free to offer up any worth giving a go.  For me it is "Hardcore Carnivore Black" linked here: https://www.hardcorecarnivore.com/products/hardcore-carnivore-black  Disclaimer- no affiliation.   Works well on beef and my current go-to with brisket.  However, I change brisket dry rubs (including my own) quite frequently.  Comments?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    There have been a few active thread posts where new (at least to me) rubs have been mentioned.  Since the Xmas clock is running, I wonder who has found a great dry rub outside of the forum regulars.  Feel free to offer up any worth giving a go.  For me it is "Hardcore Carnivore Black" linked here: https://www.hardcorecarnivore.com/products/hardcore-carnivore-black  Disclaimer- no affiliation.   Works well on beef and my current go-to with brisket.  However, I change brisket dry rubs (including my own) quite frequently.  Comments?
    HC Black, is pretty tasty.  I have some, but haven’t used any recently since reading about the effects of eating activated charcoal. 

For clarification on the activated charcoal, it isn’t “bad”, per se. But the charcoal combines with your food and degrades the nutritional value. Same principle behind activated charcoal being an effective filtration media. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @johnnyp - Fortunately I have accumulated enough laps of the sun and consume enough adult beverages on a daily basis that the charcoal dosen't have a chance.  
    Edit:  But thanks for the info.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @johnnyp - Fortunately I have accumulated enough laps of the sun and consume enough adult beverages on a daily basis that the charcoal dosen't have a chance.  
    Ha! I just figure I’m fat enough.  I better make the broccoli count! 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Flavor God makes some really good blends. Not cheap, though.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @johnnyp I have two unopened shakers of Hardcore Carnivore Black. I understand and have read through the literature regarding activated charcoal made from heating corn cobs and in the case of HC coconut husks. I can't imagine consuming the miniscule amount used to coat steak or other protein wouldn't defeat mealtime nutrient value. Admittingly I'm no expert just a beer connoisseur and bbq hack :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As you have noted, one option is to make your own rubs. If you are thinking of Christmas gifts, many recipients may enjoy the fact that you have made them. 

I often keep a few homemade rubs at the ready for unexpected cooks - basic BBQ rub, jerk seasoning, creole and plain S&P blends, to name a few. Makes it that much easier to prep without fuss when making ribs, brisket or a butt. 

When making rubs, I often double or triple recipes, as I find it's just as much work making small quantities as it is large. Making your own also allows you to tweak flavours to your liking. 

Because I generally make my own, I'm probably not a good resource for suggesting commercially-available options, assuming that's what you were seeking. However, I'm sure others will be along to pitch suggestions.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    Kosher Salt and black pepper, only rub I use now.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Got turned on to Cow Dust and Pig Dust by @DoubleEgger. Awesome rubs.....
    Also use a fair amount of Bone Suckin' Sauce Dry Rub for ribs and wings. Otherwise, my own rubs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Grilling and frying meat creates compounds of HCA and PAH which are widely believed to be carcinogenic.

Just tell yourself that the little bit of activated charcoal in the Hard Core Carnivore rub absorbs and neutralizes those compounds. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Just a few I use on a regular rotation. 
    AlbuKirky
    Meat Church
    Suckle Busters

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    My crews go through a lot of Killer Hogs rubs.  So much that we all order it in the 5 lb bulk bags! Use it on everything.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So, what tastes good? Use that. 

My fav all purpose rub is Straberrys. Pork butt is Weber KC BBQ

Both canned and commercially available 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Maybe a little late for Christmas delivery, but definitely a holiday sort of purchase. Blends from the Spice Trekkers in Montreal are remarkable. Not really rubs. The salt and sugar must be added, and the spices need to be ground. I've been using their berbere blend for a couple of years. Very complex, about a dozen different spices, fairly hot, but not jerk hot.

The packaging is mostly small tins, but some herbs come in mylar bags.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Boncaca.com
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • camofreak
    Options
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited December 2017
    Options
    This stuff is excellent. Been using it for over a decade. 

The Virgin Islands and St. John especially  could use some of your business as they rebuild the islands. 

http://store.stjohnspice.com/products.php?product=Cruz-Bay-Grill-Rub
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's in your neighborhood then this one is worth a try:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.