Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Fried Chicken

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited December 2017 in EggHead Forum
TFJ and I tried a new spot with friends Friday night and they had “Award Winning Fried Chicken” on the menu. I don’t eat a lot of fried food but I asked about it and got the very enthusiastic nod from our waitress. It was as advertised and with the first bite (even though it was not advertised as such),  I knew it was cooked Sous Vide before being fried. It was fantastic. I remembered seeing a chefsteps video about it a while back so I dug that up and sho-nuff, I was right. This is a killer way to do perfect fried chicken. I brined the bird first and glad I did. Juicy, salty, crispy, goodness. 

Mise en Place (Cooper strategically placed for any mishaps)

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...

Texas Pete’s  and honey on the side. 

Recipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/can-t-f-it-up-fried-chicken
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks awesome!  I'll have to try it sometime soon...especially since I can't F it up. lol

What is the new restaurant called?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Barrel and Brown. Kind of a bar but had decent food. I think mine was the best but they had Wagyu sirloin and a swordfish that I tasted that were also good. Nothing that you couldn’t get somewhere else so the yardbird stood out. 

http://www.littlebarrelandbrown.com/
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Now I'm craving fried chicken!  Nicely done.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Oh I am trying that. Nice one.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wonder how SV followed by an air fryer would work. May have to try that. What time/temp did you SV? And what was the IT when you pulled it out of the oil?

Never had honey on chicken.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• For an added layer to the flavor profile here, smoke the buttermilk.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wonder how SV followed by an air fryer would work. May have to try that. What time/temp did you SV? And what was the IT when you pulled it out of the oil?

I don’t know about the air fryer but one way to find out

SV Temp: 155f
    SV Time: dark meat- 3 hrs, breast 1 hr

did not measure IT after I fried it
     it’s fully cooked out of the SV so you pull as soon as it crisps up. Took About 3 minutes for the legs and thighs and 5 for the breasts. 
    Or the chicken. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wonder how SV followed by an air fryer would work. May have to try that. What time/temp did you SV? And what was the IT when you pulled it out of the oil?

I don’t know about the air fryer but one way to find out

SV Temp: 155f
    SV Time: dark meat- 3 hrs, breast 1 hr

did not measure IT after I fried it
     it’s fully cooked out of the SV so you pull as soon as it crisps up. Took About 3 minutes for the legs and thighs and 5 for the breasts. 
    Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    That looks great Cen. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Bookmarked. I've been wondering what to try next after the SV jerk chicken, and this may be it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Hell yes!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
    Or the chicken. 
    Or... both!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    All in man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    This looks great. I have a SV fried chicken recipe bookmarked but have never done it. I will definitely give it a go now. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • That looks fantastic,thanks for the link. Will definitely be trying this one. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Forgot to ask what you thought about the texture of the thighs and drums. For jerk chicken thighs and drums, they were SV'ed at 170°F x 4 hrs (was supposed to be 2hrs). The meat was a tad more loose on the bone than I like.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Forgot to ask what you thought about the texture of the thighs and drums. For jerk chicken thighs and drums, they were SV'ed at 170°F x 4 hrs (was supposed to be 2hrs). The meat was a tad more loose on the bone than I like.
    Those drums and thighs were the reason I knew the chicken at the restaurant was cooked SV before being fried. These were perfect. 155 for 3 hours on the dark and for 1 hour on the white. Tender and very juicy. 
  • caliking said:
    Bookmarked. I've been wondering what to try next after the SV jerk chicken, and this may be it. 
    do it. Easy and delicious.

• SciAggie said:
    This looks great. I have a SV fried chicken recipe bookmarked but have never done it. I will definitely give it a go now. 
    you wont be sorry. Very good and pretty simple to do.

highly recommend brining the chicken first. This kind of salt brines in the bag as it cooks- I prefer a a full brine in the fridge (wet or dry) over the method they use in this recipe. 
  • Looks great! What do you guys use for breading?
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    bookmarked!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Looks great! What do you guys use for breading?
    I used AP flour with a buttermilk dredge (flour, buttermilk, flour again). They recommend pastry flour because it has a higher protein content. Higher protein = crispier but he ap was plenty crispy and I had it in stock. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    How did the skin turn out?  I would think that the SV would make it rubbery.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    Skin was crispy but this bird had been air dried in the case at Whole Foods. Was almost translucent when I bought it. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    That looks amazing! My kids would love that too.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    20stone said:
    Skin was crispy but this bird had been air dried in the case at Whole Foods. Was almost translucent when I bought it. 
    Air drying, I can do.

I'm pretty stoked about this.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
    Doesn't it run through the grid? 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Be trying this soon. Hate when the breading is dark.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Be trying this soon. Hate when the breading is dark.
    It’s always about race with you. Canadians...sheesh.

It is a great way to fry stuff. Takes minutes and does not stink up the whole house for days. I think I posted a med rare chicken fried Sous Vide ribeye here a few years ago