Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - A novel way to serve leftover chili.

Options
So while I was at the gristmill the other day buying cornmeal, I also got some stone ground speckled yellow grits. Made a big pot of cheese grits tonight with lots of butter and monterey jack cheese (maybe too much cheese). Topped it with some of the leftover chili. And yes @tarheelmatt I did drizzle it with a little Thousand Island. This was very good. Different kinda combination with the cheese grits and chili.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Holy chit!! I need that in my life!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Novel.  Opened this expecting serving off the navel of a belly dancer.
    Options
    Or something
    Options
    Holy chit!! I need that in my life!
    Thank you. This was surprising good.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm not a huge grit guy. It's probably time for me give them another try.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I think grits are one of the foods you need to pay more for.  Find a local mill that’s stone grinding, or go online and order from Geechie Boy or Anson Mills.

The difference between regular supermarket grits and premium grits might be larger than for any other food I eat.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Love it.  We do this with Pork Butt Burnt Ends also.  Incredible.
    Oh....and cheese in the grits.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Freshly ground, coarse grits really make a difference. Great flavor and texture. I especially like shrimp and grits.
  • epcotisbest
    edited December 2017
    Options

Acn said:
    texaswig said:
    I think grits are one of the foods you need to pay more for.  Find a local mill that’s stone grinding, or go online and order from Geechie Boy or Anson Mills.

Agree. I drive a bit out of the way to buy freshly stone ground grits and cornmeal. It is nothing like grocery store stuff.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    That looks awesome 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Awesome idea thanks for sharing
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • epcotisbest
    Options

Love it.  We do this with Pork Butt Burnt Ends also.  Incredible.
    Oh....and cheese in the grits.  
    OK, something else to try, cheese grits and burnt ends...sounds great.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much cheese, especially in grits!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    There is no such thing as too much cheese, especially in grits!
    Yeah, I suppose you are right about that.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Novel.  Opened this hoping to see it served off the navel of a Chippendale's belly dancer.
    FTFY. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Looks really good! I agree on sourcing good, quality, stone ground grits; once you have the real deal, there’s no going back. Will definitely give this a try. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Looks really good! I agree on sourcing good, quality, stone ground grits; once you have the real deal, there’s no going back. Will definitely give this a try. 
    Yes, makes a huge difference.