Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone 22" Help

My BS 22" was working great until I had to change the tank. Now I can only run one burner or the other on the highest setting. If I try to run both burners at the same time, I only get a very low flame on both. As soon as I shutoff one of the burners, the other one acts normal.  I thought it might be a bad safety valve on my tank, but when I exchanged tanks the problem did not disappear.  I unhooked the regulator from the BS and reconnected the line to no avail.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Summerville, SC

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Ok, that is strange. 
    Are you running the little bottles direct or adapter hose with larger tank?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    The only issues I've had from mine is flow issues caused by blockages caused by dirt dawbers. Propane grills are simple, it's all about he flow of gas. I'd check that, make sure all the orifices and tubes are clear. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited December 2017
    You may have tripped the tank's safety mechanism.  Try this ... shut everything down, disconnect, reconnect, turn gas tank on gradually. Hope that helps.
    canuckland
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Photo Egg said:
    Ok, that is strange. 
    Are you running the little bottles direct or adapter hose with larger tank?
    The adapter hose with a 20 pound tank.
    Summerville, SC
  • F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    You may have tripped the tank's safety mechanism.  Try this ... shut everything down, disconnect, reconnect, turn gas tank on gradually. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem.
    Summerville, SC
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    Call blackstone.   They will troubleshoot with you.  If their regulator is found to be faulty, they will send a new one
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    F3DAWG said:
    Glad it worked, it was a lucky guess  :)
    canuckland
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    The safety reset issue is pretty common with the any of the new propane fueled items.
    It's amazing that we didn't all blow each other up before the government stepped in to regulate our poor ignorant souls!
    I still say that removing all safety labels is the cure for over population!
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    F3DAWG said:
    If you turn the gas on too fast, it locks up the regulator. It thinks the hose may have been cut and the unequal pressure forces it to close. Turn on slow, quarter turn light pilot then turn on tank all the way
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Tspud1 said:
    F3DAWG said:
    If you turn the gas on too fast, it locks up the regulator. It thinks the hose may have been cut and the unequal pressure forces it to close. Turn on slow, quarter turn light pilot then turn on tank all the way
    Also need to make sure you have the burners turned to "off" position on your grill/griddle. I know it sounds obvious but we are talking about "Gasheads"...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    There is a cure for this, a dual stage regulator at the tank. First part knocks down the high pressure from tank and 2nd part gives steady flow to appliance. You can turn gas on full at the tank and then light no problem. There still needs to a regulator in most cases on the appliance to make sure it gets the correct pressure. The sales people at Blackstone didn't know this and had to contact China when I asked what the gas pressure was supposed to be at the griddle. Took a couple of weeks to get the answer. I thought that was odd since they sell a gas appliance.
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    So what was the answer to pressure at the griddle?
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    there is something on the Blackstone website under videos...

Their suggestion is to: turn off the gas,  remove the regulator, wait ~30 seconds, slowly turn the regulator back on..

I
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga