Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

multiple egg spouse troubles?

UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im just curious. Maybe i am preparing for the coming storm. What is the worst trouble that the multiple egg owners out there got into with their spouse, ie, wife, after purchasing their second egg. I have a large and my wife likes it and the food that it produces but she rolls her eyes when i talk about the egg and when im on the forum late at nite. She does not know that at eggfest i am bringing home an extra large and a small to my large. I think im in trouble.

Comments

• ugavet,[p]I think you're right.
    One might not be a hard sell, but two?![p]Does she like to entertain friends/guests?
    Does she have any favorite dishes that come off the egg?
    Are you cooking plain fare or are you making what you’d expect from an upscale restaurant?
    Can you add any new ‘upscale’ recipes to your repertoire?
    Can/would you take over more of the cooking?
    You should have started building a resume in July![p]She: “This is *really* good! You know, you’ve been making some excellent meals on that egg thing.”
    You: “Thank you. … … … You know, if I had just a little more space in it we could have (her friends) over for dinner and I could make this for them. Or maybe what we had on Monday. Maybe with a couple really nice side dishes too. Oh yes, I have something special lined up for Saturday that would be great for a party!”[p]Mike

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    ugavet,[p]You're right, bringing home two Eggs is a hard sell. I would recommend telling her that the Small is "her" Egg, because you thought she might like to try out this hobby so that y'all can do something "together." It'll be like you're trying to include her in your world (as well you should; I've seen husband/wife teams that can do some mad Eggin' together!!)[p]Okay, that sounds cheesy but I've seen it work before.[p]You may also mention that they were "on sale." Wives seem to understand that terminology.[p]Anyway, good luck. Just remember, it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission - wait, I think.[p]Cheers![p]TRex
  • UGAVET
    Michael[p]I have expanded my menu alot since i got the egg last march. I started initially with simple things like pork chops, chicken and steaks. after a couple of months and monitoring the posts here, i went to over nite cooks and really impressed with pulled pork and fall off the bone ribs. Pizza really got her. she had never had wood fired pizza before. Recently she really fell for the brisket that i did and last nite i pounded out chicken breasts and stuffed with ham and cheese and wrapped in bacon after seeing picture of similar recipe here. I have yet to master many side dishes on the egg. one reason i wanted to get the small as a companion. The xtra large is just me being a big screen t.v. kind of guy.
  • ChuckGGa
    ChuckGGa Posts: 115
    ugavet,
    "Honey.... I had alot of peer pressure and broke down and bought another egg on sale, see it's used.... and if you bought the x-large instead of the large, they gave you a small for free - some promotional deal of some sort"... so I got both for less than the price of an x-large if new".... [p]or...[p]"I was drinking today, didn't know any better"....[p]or... [p]"I bought the x-large as a used item, great deal - then low and behold I won the small in a raffle at Eggtoberfest - what do I do with all of these? Maybe I'll sell the large since I got such a great deal on the x-large"... (then hope she forgets you mentioned selling one to pay for the other - i.e., ride out the storm!)

8 Green Eggs...I have a problem, ha ha!   1-XL; 2-L, 2-Med; 2-Sm; 1-Mini.       

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    ugavet, Life is good at my house. My wife loves to cook on the Egg. She was all for buying the second and third large to go to Dr.BBq's cooking class. Then she was all ready to get the fourth and fifth to compete with. One night as we pulled in the yard after a contest she said, "We need a bigger trailer." We now have a shower, toilet, and air. Our aniversery gift to cover the next few years was a Honda 3000 quite run generator. She is the chief contest cook and I'm the Egg Roadie. Nearly forty years of fun and still working at having more.Hope this helps you out.[p]Look for Poppasam & Ms.Diane at the Eggfest,
    Poppasam

• UGAVET
    ChuckGGa,
    sounds like you guys have done this before!!

• UGAVET
    TRex,
    she can definately relate to the "it was on sale" line as i here that every time she brings home a different color of the same shoe to add to her 75 other pair

• UGAVET
    Poppasam,
    I will definately look you up. Sounds like ya'll have had a lot of fun.

• ChuckGGa
    ugavet,
    My wife just doesn't even ask anymore... my obsession is with cookware and kitchen gadets mainly... I think I have every piece of all clad ltd cookware made, and 2 of some things... it's an addiction, I swear! [p]I bought my first large egg for less than $200, a year or so old, from a guy in Kennesaw that was moving and had nowhere for it to go at his new condo in Decatur - I got all accessories, etc... she's the first to admit I seek out some really good deals, but as she says often "it's not a deal if you didn't need it"... [p]I ran across a second large recently for $200 and some change - used, 4-5 years old but well cared for and in a table with the basic accessories - I snatched it up real fast...and figured i'd explain it later... I think I even told her I may give it to my dad as he's really enjoyed mine... however, it's still on the rear deck, used them both last weekend - she still says (every now and then), "you're gonna come home one of these days and that extra egg be gone... I'll take the money and buy myself a purse or something", but she knows how much I enjoy them and basically rolls her eyes. [p]my philosophy? it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission... it's worked sof ar, but I'm sure it will eventually catch up to me. [p]she recently asked if there were any new egg gadgets I needed (I think she is doing a little early christmas shopping)... she knows how much I enjoy it - she just doesn't want to admit she doesn't mind. [p]

• TRex,[p]> You may also mention that they were "on sale."
    > Wives seem to understand that terminology.[p]
    Galliger does a skit about that![p]Mike

• Besides that, it was on sale and the sale was ending! We just wouldn't have had the time to go get it if I'd waited. See? I'm always thinkin of ways to make life easier and to save money ...[p];-)
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    ugavet,[p]Be very careful with this endeavor, my friend.[p]Depending on who you talk to, multiple Egg/cooker ownership was just one of many reasons that I am once again a wild and crazy single guy.[p]I was warned however. While still married, my wife and now ex once told me that if I bring home any more cooking toys, she would leave me.[p]At first I thought I would miss her, but I didn't hehehe[p]K~G

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    ugavet,
    Tell her you bought the small because it was a great deal and you wanted it to do vegetables on (a lot of girls I know like the veggies better than the meat off the EGG).[p]Then you can tell her (this will require a big lie though) that somebody ordered an Xl and then they didn't show up to pick it up. Then you tell her the Big green Eggs guys were gonna have to "put her down" because it just cost too much to maintain her and she was too big, and wasn't as cute as the mini.[p]If you play the "stray" card, you'll be just fine. Ask Molly Shark...she'll back me up on this one.

• swamprb
    swamprb Posts: 97
    ugavet,I had been on the lookout for a Egg to go with the Imperial Kamado I've had for years and had a couple K's in various stages of repair in the garage that I think she got so used to them so that when I did find a Large she didn't say anything until I was moving HER gas grill off the deck to make room for my parade of K's-well she insisted on keeping the gasser and I sold 2 of the Kamados and promptly bought a platesetter,pizza stone,peel,80lbs of lump, raised grid,DFMT etc. But I'll never forget the look I got when I was trying to get my Feng Shui on with the Egg and 3 Kamados. Bringing home the next Egg won't be so hard now that she knows I've lost my mind.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    KennyG,[p]Whoops, that should have been Will Robinson. Dang grape juice!

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    ugavet,
    Bringing home two at the same time is definately the way to go. She'll get it all out of her system and then leave you alone for a while. Cook a feast using all of the eggs so she can see you haven't wasted the money she could have spent on furniture. But, be prepared for her to go out and buy something she wants. My wife went out and bought a porsche when I go my small. I wish the XL was available then so I could have purchased both at the same time. Now, I'm scared to think of what she will get if I bring a XL home!

• ChuckGGa,[p]You're sealing eggs, you're not buying them. Holy cow![p]
  • ugavet,
    Well, I have 5 ceramic cookers and the wife is still speaking to me, LOL. If you have a good wife, she will understand. Or not. LOL. Yes, I think you are in trouble. I guess my wife feels that five cookers is better than me being unfaithful. Try that one. Good luck whatever you do![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    ugavet,[p]Dude, you're on a slippery slope! Best to be honest with her.[p]john
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    ugavet, my wife just rolls her eyes everytime she hears me discussing something about the BGE. Now that I have an XL, medium and mini at home, I'm trying to convince her that the large at the lake needs a small. She says that if I got a small, the grills would have more value than the lakeshack (uh..that is.."lake estate".

• Buzzy
    Buzzy Posts: 29
    ugavet,
    You can tell her that now you can do the whole Thanksgiving day dinner on the egg and she won't have so much work to do. "See I was thinking of you!". Good luck!
    Kent

• ChuckGGa
    egginator,
    I know...c an you believe those prices? The first one for a little less than $200 - I got the large, the nest, the daisy wheel, chicken and turkey vertical stands, v-rack, drip pan, 2 grill grippers, 2 ash tools and the vinyl cover- and he even helped me load it up in the car. The original gasket was still primarily grey if that tells you how little it had been used. I went to the mothership location and had them pull it up and tell me when he bought it, etc... it was roughly 1 year old and he had $900 or so in the items... YOu never know what you'll run across... just keep those eyes open!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    ugavet, Our situation is a little different. My husband, Steve, bought the first egg and I immediately bought a mini allegedly so I could haul it around and sample my products. I really just wanted one of my own. Steve had to work out in Vail that winter and with nightly help from the forum members, of which there were only a handful or two, and instant messaging, I got up to speed in a hurry. (I miss JJ and C~W). I have since purchased a second large one.[p]I think that you should show up with those new eggs and present the small one as a gift to your wife. If she felt that it was hers to experiment with she might surprise you![p]See you next week.[p]Julie

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Buzzy,
    I used that trick and now I have a XL and 2 mini eggs that are not in the picture.
    Larry

[ul][li]Thanksgiving on the Egg[/ul]
  • ugavet,[p]Dude - you are screwed. More screwed than I'll be when I come rolling home with my first large. She won't know about it until I hit the door. [p](tell her you won the small, at least ;-)
  • ugavet,[p]Buy her some jewelry to offset the shock of the two new eggs. That might work
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    ugavet,[p] My new eggs are going to cost me 3,134.10. [p] Large BGE = 567.05 X 2[p] Quilting Frame + Sewing Machine = $2,000.00[p] Money well spent :)[p]
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    ugavet,[p]This was some of the most entertaining reading I've had in a long time! Loved the post about the porsche![p]Thanks for the smiles,
    Gwen

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    ugavet,
    You can always blame it on the free beer at the fest. -RP

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ugavet,
    the worst trouble may mean divorce, you may have to choose between the XL, or the large small combo because even if she doesnt appreciate the eggs now, she will then. im single and the eggs are all mine. mine, mine, mine. on a side note, my brother wouldnt tell his wife about them until he brought them home as well, gets out of all the pre-arguing that way, post arguing seems to be about the same

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it