Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this talk about Jerky--Info

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

This recipe article is pretty good, and is courtesy of http://www.jerkyusa.com

How to make old fashioned Beef Jerky at home
First you have to pick the right meat (like Luther does!). You should choose from this list, with the best meat for Jerky at the top of the list..[p]Loin (boneless T-bone - Luther's pick)
Sirloin
Ribeye (Lean as possible)
Round (inside or top)
Eye of the round
Bottom Round (outside)
Flank Steak (This is usually too tough!)
Brisket (This is usually too tough and fatty)
Trim all exterior fat
Slice 1/8" thick with the grain to make long pieces
Sprinkle with curing salt (2lbs for 100lbs of meat)
Stack slices back to back & elevate in container to avoid meat setting in drainage. Refrigerate for 5 days at ideal refrigerator temperature 32 to 38 degrees F.
Spray with light amount of liquid smoke (mixed with 1/2 to 3/4 water.
Sprinkle with Black Pepper (according to how hot you want it.)
Put on grates or hail screen in 128 degree oven with door slightly ajar (or dehydrator). Drying Jerky takes 6 to 24 hours depending on the thickness and the wind (draft).
Or - you can do like the Indians and early settlers did - Hang the meat on the clothes line on a hot day & let the wind and sun dry the meat.[p]To tell when it is dry enough - It will be real firm (not spongy at all) .If it breaks in two readily, it is probably too dry.[p]To Store in room temperature for over 3 days - Use, like the Indians did with no plastic bags. Leave so air can get through (like paper bag)[p]To store several weeks in plastic bags - Refrigerate 32 -38 degrees F.[p]To store longer, put in plastic bags then freeze up to a year.[p]
How to make ground and formed BEEF JERKY or Turkey Jerky
95% lean or leaner ground beef , ground chuck, ground round or boneless turkey meat. Ingredients will depend on whose recipe you use & should include curing salt (the ingredients should come with instructions as to the amount used with amount of meat). Grind once, then grind again with ingredients distributed evenly.[p]Flatten as thin as possible. A heavy rolling pin on waxed paper covering the meat will work.[p]Dry with same method as above.[p]
[p]

[ul][li]JerkyUSA.Com[/ul]

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Char-Woody, All that talk about jerky got my taste buds going. Put on the first batch of peppered jerky at 10 this morning and the next batch will go on about 3 or 4. Trying something new but that is the fun part of this forum.[p]CWM

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, you nailed it...go for it. I have tried a number of flavor's and so far the terryaki is #1 on my taste buds, but I did eat 5 lbs of the Cajun blend, and that one is a bit peppery, but good. My dog Patti isn't fussy..! She can here me unzip the bag to sneak a piece.
    :-)
    C~W

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I went to that site last week and got some useful info. Do I agree that brisket should be at the bottom of the list?? Not a prayer. Which is why this forum is what it is. I feel brisket gathers less smoke and comes out to the texture I prefer. All you need to do is take the time to cut out the fat. I started selling my jerky at work for 1 buck a stick (don't mean to sound like a cheap skate but after giving 6 briskets worth away to the folks at work)I thought "that's enough". Sold 80 sticks in 2 days. As I have not tried all the choices, for the price of brisket, and as fast as I go throught it, it's the choice for me and all my happy recipients. :>)[p]Fun stuff ahead.....[p]Mick

• Char-Woody
    Options
    MickeyT.,your observing! The meat listings for jerky was my target. Interesting that he also uses the bottom rounds. I found that if I froze my hunk of meat till solid, I could slice it much easier. I use a thick, wide bladed knife that I can lean on its top for pressure cuts. Get one side smoothed and rotate the meat and carve away. Also makes slicing the strips much easier.
    Have fun..I love the jerky!
    C~W[p]

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]We froze our brisket too before slicing. Much easier. Though next time I may ask the buther to slice it for me if he will. That way the slices will be a bit more even and thinner, thus speeding the cooking time.[p]Fritz