Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Pappas
Pappas Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a BGE three weeks ago and absolutley love it. My husband and I want to try pizza this weekend. Any tips??? Do you cook it direct on the grate of on a pizza stone?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Pappas,
    You can check the cooks section of my website for a picumentary of how I did pizzaa in the past..lately I use the platesetter legs up with the cooking grid on top and put my pizza stone on the grid....seems to be more uniform with this setup...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pappas,[p]I've done pizzas a couple of times, different ways. The one that has worked really well is to place a platesetter legs down, with a pizza stone on that. The two layers of stone give a nice even temperature across the surface. That big mass of ceramic takes awhile to heat up, so make sure you have a good supply of lump. Although the general recommendation is to have a dome temp of 500, I've had better results closer to 450. That temp seems to give a little more leeway to catch the pizza between done crisp and burnt. I've placed my pizzas on corn meal, wire mesh plates and parchment paper. The parchment produced the best results. No sticking or burning to the stone.[p]As a warning, it appears that if you use too large of a stone, and it is placed at the same level as the gasket, the hot air gets pushed out towards the gasket, and can burn it. At least thats my experience.[p]gdenby[p]
  • Pappas,[p]I used platesetter and pizza stone. If you have setter and stone, preheat for at least 1/2 hr.[p]The Naked Whiz website is a wealth of info and has a section dedicated to pizza. Check it out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    <a href=
    <p />Pappas,
    i live in a land of thin crust pizzas, so when i make one on the egg, i actually like deep dish pizzas. pizza stone on bricks, pizza in a pan. i make thin crusts too, but i like the deep dish because its different from what i have available

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    2004_0214_012424.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,

fukahwee maine

• Q-Scoop
    Q-Scoop Posts: 59
    Options
    I make pizza almost every week in my Egg. I use a plate setting legs down with an Egg pizza stone on top. The most important thing is to make sure you warm up the stone. I let the temperature get up to 500 or more, but I make a very thin crust pizza. I also use cornmeal on both the peel and the stone to make sure the pie doesn't stick. Good luck - you'll never go back to delivery! Catherine

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    P7230536.jpg
    <p />Pappas,[p]here is a tip...order your new gasket now. LOL[p]I have a terrible time making dough. So I have kinda given up on my own dough. Since then I have started using tortillas, pitas, and flat breads that you can buy for my crusts. I find I enjoy the pizzas more that way.[p]
    Top Pic: margherita pizza; Lower Pic: Thai chicken
    P7230529.jpg

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Pappas,
    Give your stone plenty of time to warm up. I put it in while the egg is warming up so when the dome registers the desired temp, I'm good to go. I think it's like 30 minutes, could even be more. Don't rush it, the cook only takes 8 minutes.[p]I bought pizza dough from a bakery, took it from the refrigerator case, brought it home and started kneading it.[p]It was tough to work.[p]In the end my crust came out a bit thick and more rectangular than round. But it tasted fine! I think it was supposed to have time to warm up to room temp first.
    So if you're already comfortable working pizza dough then that won't be a problem, otherwise I'd recommend doing homework on dough or get something simpler for a crust.[p]As usual, I messed up but it still tasted great!

• Pappas,
    I done pizza without a platesetter with a raised grate and a pizza stone from wal-mart. I set the grate about one inch above the gasket and put the stone on top of the grate. With the thinner stone I use a lower temp of 425-450. Use cornmeal on both the peel and stone. Hope this help.[p]Andres

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    firstpizzafromscratch005.jpg
    <p />Pappas,
    I use the plate setter legs down with the grid on top of that and then the pizza stone. The 12 inch size works for me and I haven't burnt a gasket. I like 450 and give it plenty of time to to heat up before placing the pizza on the stone. On good tip I learned is to use a flashlight to pear into the top and pull it when you like the look of the crust, for me with thin pizza between 12 and 16 minutes. I think a little lower temp in the dome gives the toppings longer to meld before the crust burns. My 2 cents.
    Search pizza dough archives and make your own, (and you can add stuff like fennel seeds and other spices to the dough!)it's not that hard but it is hard to handle being all floppy. I got one of those fancy peels that slides it off and on and it works great.

• PETE
    PETE Posts: 44
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Can you give me a recipe for the dough and the pizza in that picture?[p]Rob

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Tell me about it. I almost went out and bought the fancy hat to go along with my first dough making adventure. Mixed up everything like they said and went to kneading. When I thought it was ready I put the topping on and then tried to get it off the cutting board. Not happening! When I finally did get it on a flat object, make shift peel, I missed my first attempt to land it exactly in the middle of the stone then burnt both hands trying to re-center it. The expression on my face stiffled any adverse comments from the family when I took it off, and they actually enjoyed it however ugly it was! The one in the picture was not actually my first one. They are all perfect now;)

• waruwaru
    Options
    DSCF0399.JPG
    <p />Pappas,[p]What kinda crust do you like? I like thicker/bread-like doughs. I just used a dough recipe from the mixer hand book, that made fairly thick dough. Emeril/Taylor's recipe on Food Network's website is pretty much the same recipe, except they added honey. I had success putting plate setter legs up, raised grid, and finally pizza stone on top. The pizza stone I bought from Macy's is a bit wimpy, so it broke when the pizza juice dripped on top. I had one pizza on a pizza screen and another on parchment paper. Both came out pretty good. The crust wasn't burnt or too crispy and the topping was melted. Oh yeah, as you can see, I piled way too much stuff on them...[p]Enjoy!
    waruwaru[p]Before cooking:
    DSCF0394.JPG
    DSCF0396.JPG[p]After cooking:
    DSCF0397.JPG
    DSCF0398.JPG

• An Egg Downunder
    Options
    pizza1.jpg
    <p />Pappas,[p]You do need a stone - but you can get by without a platesetter. I use a few el cheapo fire bricks. But you have to pre heat the bricks and stone for about 30 mins. Also, parchment paper works great for me to get the pizzas on to the stone in one piece.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Pete,
    that one was a layer of mozzerella under strained stewed tomatoes with cooked italian sausage and maybe some fontina cheese and mozzeralla on top. [p]recipe origionally posted by jstraus, similr to an unos type crust, but better
    Deep-Dish Pizza
    Prepare the topping while the dough is rising so it will be ready at the same time the dough is ready. Baking the pizza in a deep-dish pan on a hot pizza stone or quarry tiles will help produce a crisp, well-browned bottom crust. Otherwise, a heavy rimless cookie sheet (do not use an insulated cookie sheet) will work almost as well. If you've only got a rimmed cookie sheet, turn it upside down and bake the pizza on the flat rimless side. The amount of oil used to grease the pan may seem excessive, but in addition to preventing sticking, the oil helps the crust brown nicely. [p]Makes one 14-inch pizza, serving 4 to 6 1 medium baking potato (about 9 ounces), peeled and quartered
    1 1/2 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
    3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 cup water (warm, 105 to 115 degrees)
    6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for oiling bowl
    1 3/4 teaspoons table salt [p]1 recipe topping (see related recipes)[p][p]1. Bring 1 quart water and potato to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and cool until potato can be handled comfortably; press through fine disk on potato ricer or grate through large holes on box grater. Measure 1 1/3 cups lightly packed potato; discard remaining potato. [p]2. Adjust one oven rack to highest position, other rack to lowest position; heat oven to 200 degrees. Once temperature reaches 200 degrees, maintain heat 10 minutes, then turn off heat. [p]3. In bowl of standing mixer or in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade, mix or pulse yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup warm water until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 1/2 cup water, 3 cups flour, salt, and potato. If using mixer, fit with paddle attachment and mix on low speed until dough comes together. Switch to dough hook attachment and increase speed to medium; continue kneading until dough comes together and is slightly tacky, about 5 minutes. If using food processor, process until dough comes together in a ball, about 40 seconds. Dough should be slightly sticky. Transfer dough to lightly oiled medium bowl, turn to coat with oil and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in warm oven until dough is soft and spongy and doubled in size, 30 to 35 minutes. [p]4. Oil bottom of 14-inch deep-dish pizza pan with remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Remove dough from oven; turn onto clean, dry work surface and pat into 12-inch round. Transfer round to pan, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest until dough no longer resists shaping, about 10 minutes. [p]5. Line low oven rack with unglazed baking tiles or place pizza stone or rimless cookie sheet on rack (do not use insulated cookie sheet; see note above) and heat oven to 425 degrees. Uncover dough and pull up into edges and up sides of pan to form 1-inch-high lip. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free spot until double in size, about 30 minutes. Uncover dough and prick generously with fork. Bake on preheated tiles, stone, or cookie sheet until dry and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add desired toppings; bake on tiles, stone, or cookie sheet until cheese melts, 10 to 15 minutes. Move pizza to top rack and bake until cheese is spotty golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Let cool 5 minutes, then, holding pizza pan at angle with one hand, use wide spatula to slide pizza from pan to cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve. [p]

fukahwee maine