Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork that Never reached 190 but was still tender ... weird.

Options
Smoked Signals
Smoked Signals Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever had pork never reach 190+ for pulling? I cooked and cooked and cooked 4 butts for almost 24 hours - none of them were over 7 lbs. They felt perfect but never got above 177-180 degrees. I checked my thermopen last night and it registered 206 for boiling water (wasn't a rolling boil either) ... we are about 700 above sea level so that seemed reasonable. Anyway these butts just wouldn't finish ... anyone ever have this happen? I probably cook 10 butts a month and this was the first time this happened.[p]It was just plain weird.

Comments

• Smoked Signals,[p] You're right .... weird! I hope you continue to check the ThermoPen against something else at those temps. With your experience, and doing 4 butts, it is obviously NOT probe placement. Weird![p]Tom B (EggSport)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Smoked Signals,[p]Because I still haven't gotten to really pullable pork, I can't quite say what's going on, but I'll hazard a few comments. As I understand it, both the collagen and fat begin to gel/render under 190, its just that at lower temps it will go slower. So after 24 hours, even though the meat didn't exceed the top end of the plateau temperature, the fat and gristle were done for. I suppose the main problem is just that the meat might get pretty dry in that long of a time. As for the lower dome temperature, with the cold weather setting in, I find that I have to open the vents a bit more to get the same temperature I had just a few weeks ago.[p]gdenby

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    my first few got pulled off the egg at 185 internal, because i just couldn't wait.[p]they always pulled well and were tender.[p]once you are through the plateau, the issue is the remaining fat rendering/melting. you probably just had a little more bits of fat than usually. but the meat was done.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante