Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spanish Chorizo?

Options
Where do you guys get your Spanish chorizo for paella? I can’t find it anywhere near me. Btw near me is Myrtle beach sc. 

Comments

• clintmiller
    Options
    If you can't find it in grocery stores, you can order it on Amazon. That's what i used to do before my local store started carrying it. Same thing with bomba rice. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Central Market consistently has it
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Amazon. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cost Plus World Market.  They have bomba rice too and lots of other interesting food things you won't find at your local market.  Always some good marinades and sauces.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Legume Is that in Austin? 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hit up a local Hispanic grocery store. 

• Legume
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Legume Is that in Austin? 
    Here and at malls everywhere. They're all over, including Austin.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Legume said:
    Here and at malls everywhere. They're all over, including Austin.
    Lol - All over in the civilized world. According to Google the one nearest me is 149 miles away. Thanks though. I’ll check them out next trip to Austin. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Options
    Yeah, sorry @SciAggie, thought you were clarifying on OP's behalf.
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Options
    @SciAggie I've found it at Kroger in NTX.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Hit up a local Hispanic grocery store. 

Careful with that; mexican chorizo, while delicious, is a totally different product from spanish/portugeuse chorizo, which is a firm sausage.  Mexican chorizo, when cooked, falls apart like cream of wheat.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SciAggie
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yeah, sorry @SciAggie, thought you were clarifying on OP's behalf.
    Oh, ok. It’s too early for me...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Googlez Imagez to the rescue!

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @Botch
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @DoubleEgger you live in Myrtle Beach? 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @DoubleEgger In a pinch, you can you a regular dried type of sausage and just add a little more smoked paprika to the dish. That will make a much closer substitute than Mexican chorizo.  In my opinion...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    g8golfer said:
    @DoubleEgger you live in Myrtle Beach? 
    Nope. But I can Google. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    https://ourdailybrine.com/how-to-make-dry-cured-spanish-chorizo-castellano/

You can either raise your own pork or buy it.  Throuh our modest livestock operation, we found a bunch of solid local producers.  Here is what I found with a quick search for your neck of the woods:
    http://www.eatwild.com/products/socarolina.html

Yes, I am serious.  Yes, I have a very understanding wife.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    spanish and portuguese are the same, mexican is not even close. i find it near the hotdogs and kielbasa, its also in thge cured meat display but thats dry cured and not what you want in paella. also you could use linguica, its milder and you would want to add more heat to the dish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Salmonegg
    Options
    The "nice" grocery store here always has Palacios dulce and picante, which they keep near the cheese case. It's an Earth Fare, though, and it looks like the closest one to you might be in Charleston.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    also, its chourico pronounced show-reezah
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this is the preferred version here near the kielbasa

Image result for gaspars chourico

notice its not pruned like a dry cured sausage