Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bummed because I am at the inlaws for thanks giving...

Options
They are so excited because they got everything from the Fresh market. They think it tastes delicious. It makes me want to vomit. They also believe that no one like to cook. At least it is only once every other year I have to do this. 

Suwanee, GA

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Should you wish to never go back (and that is quite a risky approach) you can set them straight during the dinner conversation and volunteer to host every year.  The deeper you get into the reasons the more likely you will succeed.  And on a SWMBO front you could pay a price.  
    Just go with it and make the best of it.  
    Edit:  with enough hot sauce you can standardize the taste of anything.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    Be thankful, you are with family and it's a turkey dinner for chrissakes.  The best turkey dinner ever still doesn't make anyone's top ten, it's the family, the event, the nostalgia of passed down family recipes and tradition.  Offer to pass some tradition on to them, but don't complain about their way.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I feel your pain.  About to live it...
    Options
    Legume said:
    Be thankful, you are with family and it's a turkey dinner for chrissakes.  The best turkey dinner ever still doesn't make anyone's top ten, it's the family, the event, the nostalgia of passed down family recipes and tradition.  Offer to pass some tradition on to them, but don't complain about their way.
    Legume please don't get me wrong. I am thankful to be with family today. However my parents always make a homemade thanksgiving and I am nostalgic for that. 
    Suwanee, GA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Brother, today it's all about being with family and friends, at my shop ... i have three older workers who have no one - literally no where to go. I'd invite them to my home, but this year i'm at my sisters.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokenBonesATX
    Options
    I feel your pain. On one hand I agree with being happy to be with family. On the other, Thanksgiving means a home cooked meal. I’ve convinced my parents to let me do the turkey at Christmas, but Mom insists her mashed “potatoes” from the box will be just as good as the real thing. Part of my soul died when I heard that. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,626
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    Legume said:
    Legume please don't get me wrong. I am thankful to be with family today. However my parents always make a homemade thanksgiving and I am nostalgic for that. 
    I get you ChuckR and hope you all have a helluva good time.  We have had to negotiate splitting holidays, hosting holidays and everything in between over the years.  Sometimes we just cook our own turkey dinner a few days or a week later so we can have leftovers.  Hopefully I didn't come off too cranky, just missing family a bit myself this weekend.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    It's just food.  If more of us viewed it as just like the gas we have to put in our cars and only consumed the amount we need, there would be a lot less obesity.

It's ironic to embrace that on Thanksgiving - I get it.  None of us come to this site to embrace that line of thought.  I get that as well.  

But I'm at work today.  I'd take Thanksgiving at my in-laws with storebought food over being at work ALMOST every day.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I'm with you Chuck. You'll get no shaming from me. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Take heart, brother, things could be worse.  My MIL flew here on her broomstick two weeks ago.  She will visit Wilma's aunt for a week after Thanksgiving and then be back here until she hops on her broom and leaves on Dec 9th.

good times for sure.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I'm here at work..our boss was recently diagnosed with cancer (beat it)..but since then has been on gmo free...preservative free stuff...

Which straight out of the garden man it's great...

.when she's buying from the hippy food store where it's been sitting for a week ...not so much..but it's food and I'm fortunate enough to call most of my coworkers extended family
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sorry you are bummed because you have to spend Thanksgiving with your in-laws, you are lucky to have them to spend time with. Try spending Thanksgiving (and Christmas) searching pictures posted from the middle of an ocean for a glimpse of your child that you've seen once this year.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    ChuckR, ask to bring something next year, don't be offensive. Brag a bit, say you came across this great recipe, really happy w. how it tuned out, etc. Yes, you might get sucked into being the holiday host, or worse, they might actually like Fresh market better. But if not, you might manage to get some folks to consider learning to cook for themselves. Tho' I have a sister-in-law who can't understand when I tell her I like cooking because of how much intrinsic pleasure there is in it. I suppose for some people, its just a chore.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Everything was catered this year, but turned out delicious.  
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Navymom said:
    Sorry you are bummed because you have to spend Thanksgiving with your in-laws, you are lucky to have them to spend time with. Try spending Thanksgiving (and Christmas) searching pictures posted from the middle of an ocean for a glimpse of your child that you've seen once this year.
     You missed my point entirely. In my follow up post I said I was glad to be with family, however I was feeling nostalgic for a home cooked meal like I grew up with. As this is a cooking related website my point was I do not like having a meal from a grocery store. I am sorry your child is away, but I appreciate their service.  
    Suwanee, GA
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Start talking politics. That will fix it.  

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Start talking politics. That will fix it.  
    I have bone spurs on my foot.  Sorry, can't participate.
    Options
    I can see both points of view.  I think most of us love to cook, and even though there's work and time involved, it just feels festive and really good to offer something good that you made.  But it's also true that the people cooking are usually putting HOURS into it, sometimes for multiple DAYS, and there's something to be said for focusing less on the food and more on the people, being relaxed and not worn out really able to focus on them, and not so much on the cooking and the serving, etc..

Someone I knew, many years ago, said she told her (adult) daughters once that she had a GREAT idea for Thanksgiving: why don't we order PIZZA!  That way no one is exhausted and cranky, no one even has to clean up, and we can just relax and have a great time enjoying each other's company.  <sound of crickets>  Daughters wanted no part of it -- they wanted Mom to prepare a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, so she did.

I'm actually against trying to change other people.  If it's their turn, and they are hosting, and what they really want to do is buy the meal, I'd say when it's their turn let them do what they want and not try to re-make it the way YOU want it.  Try to enjoy their hospitality and enjoy their company.  If it's just breaking your heart not cooking, cook the week before or the week after, just for you and your family at home.  

I think if they've clearly said they want to order the meal out, there's no way to offer to bring something that isn't an implied criticism of their choice.  If it's their turn, let it be their turn, and enjoy them the way they are.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    In some families like mine @Theophan there’s no “turns”. I will be eating the exact same meal at mine and my wife’s parent’s house until they are dead or physically unable to cook. There’s nothing that will change that. Bringing something other than maybe a dessert is verboten. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Best times are with family, whether recognized or not.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options

Every Thanksgiving I look at this picture. 

Thanksgiving on the Afghan/Pakistan border. 

And it reminds me to be thankful...that this year there is bourbon to wash down an equally terrible meal. 

(Seriously, my FILs mom can’t cook for $hit)

Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Sorry for the double post....  Thanks for your service and also for a very profound  post... Hope you and family remain safe.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thanks for your service and the hearty belly laugh.  Being thankful for bourbon to wash down your terrible meal is hilarious!  I am thankful for bourbon from time to time as well. 

Its a common custom for Thanksgiving diners to take turns around the table and state something they're thankful for.  "I'm thankful for bourbon so I can choke this garbage down."
    Flint, Michigan
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    ChuckR...,,dude you are toast with the in laws!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Suck it up. Be a gracious guest and nod politely when asked if it's the best turkey you ever had.

And it could be worse... They could be at YOUR house instead.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Chuck,
    No insight, or shaming, here from me. I have had horrible Thanksgiving meals in more places than I care to write about. But, for me, the idea of "Maybe next year I will be able to do..................for Thanksgiving, got me through some of the worst situations, one could imagine. If, and when, that Thanksgiving day opportunity, ever rolled my way, I followed with the vow I had made. 
    Since those days of anxious prayers, in very desperate hours, I have enjoyed everything, every little thing, the real world has to offer.
    Hoping today is better for you, and knowing next year on Thanksgiving, you have a plan.
    Good Luck, make it awesome, and post it on here. I know, I will be standing by for greatness.
    Onward Brother.
    Peace.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky