Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL hinge assist

Options
BOBF
BOBF Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone post a picture of the new hinge assist properly installed? I think I did mine right and the dome is easier to lift and close, but I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    RearShot.jpg
    <p />BOBF,
    Here ya' go. I would suggest you do a 'paper test' to check your seal.

• BOBF
    Options
    egret,[p]Thanks. I almost got it right, but thought something wasn't quite correct. Did the "paper test" when I installed the assist and adjusted accordingly.Again, thanks.

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    BOBF,
    Is the X large worth the trouble I see you all having?[p]Chef Jerry

• BOBF
    Options
    Jwirlwind,[p]The XL is the only one I own and I am very happy with it. I really did not have a real problem with the lid before they came out with the assists, but I do admit they make opening and closing it easier. If I would/could read instructions I would have got the assists correct the first time. Was about a 2 minute problem to correct.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    BOBF,
    Just curious here.....do you have a good seal at the rear of the egg, i.e., nice tight fit when you do the paper test?

• BOBF
    Options
    egret,[p]A dollar bill slides out of the back without a lot of resistance and it is not as tight as I would prefer, but I do not have any smoke leakage when I close the lid and have had no problem controlling the BGE when I do a low and slow. I may adjust the bands again if I think I have a problem. The obvious gaps were on the sides after I installed the assists - you could see light from one side through the other. That is fixed.