Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free Range Turkey

Options
Was just wondering how many of you buy free range turkeys for Thanksgiving and what your experiences have been.  I can’t believe how much faster they cook.  Hard to coordinate with the side dishes on finish time.  Yesterday we had our traditional dinner and allowed 4 hours for an 18 lb bird and was done in 2 1/2.  I don’t have an egg to do it in here, so I use a roaster at 325.
  1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Have one in the fridge. Free range spatchcocked. First time to cook a big bird on the egg. Will watch like a hawk from hour 2 to 2 1/2.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Picking up my first 18 lb. free range turkey from Illinois tomorrow morning at my local butcher. Will brine it for a day, rinse and let it rest in reefer on Wednesday. Probably spatchcock it Thursday morning. Will be using Smoke to watch it real close. 2 and 1/2 hours sounds great.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I miss the turkeys and chickens we used to get from the Amish farms near Iowa City. Hands down the turkeys I've ever had. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Picking up my first 18 lb. free range turkey from Illinois tomorrow morning at my local butcher. Will brine it for a day, rinse and let it rest in reefer on Wednesday. Probably spatchcock it Thursday morning. Will be using Smoke to watch it real close. 2 and 1/2 hours sounds great.
    What's that reefer part again?
    Mountain View, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    dmourati said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    Yeah! Normally you smoke it while the turkey smokes. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Seriously, though. My heritage birds go a bit faster, likely do to the fact that they carry less water weight due to the way they are raised. Usually done in 60-70% of the time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    caliking said:
    I miss the turkeys and chickens we used to get from the Amish farms near Iowa City. Hands down the turkeys I've ever had. 
    Hey, Doc, I am DEAD serious when I ask this...in all honesty...given a blind taste test,..do you really feel you and your family/guests could tell the difference? I have always wondered what tastes better given the amount of marketing hype and honest taste bud differences. 

BTW I used to pay $20 to $24 per pound for the coveted Copper River Salmon when I slapped myself and tried $8.99 pond raised salmon from Kroger. To me the taste came from the rub or whatever, but NOT the price tag.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    dmourati said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    Yeah! Normally you smoke it while the turkey smokes. 
    That's Madness I tell you.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    dmourati said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    That's dessert.  Brownies.  

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm skeptical.
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    Hey, Doc, I am DEAD serious when I ask this...in all honesty...given a blind taste test,..do you really feel you and your family/guests could tell the difference? I have always wondered what tastes better given the amount of marketing hype and honest taste bud differences. 

BTW I used to pay $20 to $24 per pound for the coveted Copper River Salmon when I slapped myself and tried $8.99 pond raised salmon from Kroger. To me the taste came from the rub or whatever, but NOT the price tag.

I'm pretty sure I could. SWMBO too. The usual crowd I've had over for past Thanksgiving dinners probably couldn't.

And there wasn't much of any marketing hype re: poultry etc from the Amana Colonies farmers. Word of mouth was usually how it was done. These weren't heritage breed turkeys as such, but free-range birds on Amana farms. Call Mr. Bender up a few weeks before T-day and he'd have a turkey for you to pick up a couple of days before Thanksgiving. Prices were reasonable, not exorbitant.  Freshly slaughtered, never frozen or injected with any kind of solution. Way better taste, texture, and flavor than store birds. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    have had different experiences with free range, have had alot come in at 12 min/pound and some at 18 min/pound. i plan on 15 now and adjust. used to cook as many as 20 birds, all the same size in the same pans from the same farm in ovens all over campus and would be turning some ovens up and some ovens down to get them done timely. never made much sense.i prefer the free range flavor, dont like the solution added or the watery brines. i get the free range for tday and salt rubbed kosher for other days
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    I guess I have no one to blame but myself.  We started getting local range birds at home in Iowa and really loved them.  I think in the 4.00 lb. price point.  Last 3 years at daughters house in Chattanooga.  This year came from a local market at (gulp) 8.00 lb.  Last time in the roaster for sure.  It tastes good just a little dry.  It’s just that I take it personally if something I cook isn’t done right.   
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.