Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Grail Pastrami

Options

Comments

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Here is a question from a novice. Could I follow this process but with a different cut of meat? Something cheaper as briskets run 8 to 10 bucks a pound here in Canadastan. Something like an eye of round and have good lunch meat for the kids? 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here is a question from a novice. Could I follow this process but with a different cut of meat? Something cheaper as briskets run 8 to 10 bucks a pound here in Canadastan. Something like an eye of round and have good lunch meat for the

do do you have access to beef plate ribs (short ribs) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Here is a question from a novice. Could I follow this process but with a different cut of meat? Something cheaper as briskets run 8 to 10 bucks a pound here in Canadastan. Something like an eye of round and have good lunch meat for the kids? 
    You are going to want something with some intramuscular fat to follow this recipe but we started down this road with venison backstrap. It's very lean and it's amazing done in the style of pastrami. That said, it's a totally different process. Eye of round would be similar. I'll be glad to share that process with you if you want to use a lean cut   
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Sure, that would be great. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sure, that would be great. 
    Do you have a way to cold smoke (like an amaze-n-smoker?) If not, you will need one. They are like $40 USD but well worth it. I cold smoke all my bacon with one and use it for other stuff as well. 
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    Not currently, I've always hot smoked my bacon. But I can get one. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    When we did the venison we used the exact brine and rub as above but we would brine or 2-3 days instead of 7 for a brisket. Then cold smoke for 4-6 hours with an A-maze-N-Smoker then would sous vide at 130 for 8 hours. You could cut the proportions of the brine and rub down by 75% for an eye of round. This recipe makes enough rub for 2-3 whole briskets. The brine is about right for 1 large brisket 

I can tell you the backstrap pastrami is fantastc. I don't see why and eye of round wouldn't be as well. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Damn dude! Well done. 

You cold smoked your with AMS correct?
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Damn dude! Well done. 
    Thanks.  I learned from the best. 

You cold smoked your with AMS correct?
    I did.  Overnight w the cold smoke, and 28 hours at 155F in the Jacuzzi
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    This is awesome stuff.  Thank you guys for posting it. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Above: just out of the brine

below: after the 2nd rub (once if figured out I screwed up the first) 

Below: just off the egg about 6 hours of smoke. Internal Temp was around 160 on one and 170 on the other  

Bagged up and in the drink. Coming off tomorrow morning. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Damn you all, this looks perfect to me.
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    When we did the venison we used the exact brine and rub as above but we would brine or 2-3 days instead of 7 for a brisket. Then cold smoke for 4-6 hours with an A-maze-N-Smoker then would sous vide at 130 for 8 hours. You could cut the proportions of the brine and rub down by 75% for an eye of round. This recipe makes enough rub for 2-3 whole briskets. The brine is about right for 1 large brisket 

I can tell you the backstrap pastrami is fantastc. I don't see why and eye of round wouldn't be as well. 

I've always wondered in the receipts I've read how much brine or how strong of brine to make. The curing I've done is all dry rub so it's a direct % based on weight. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I've always wondered in the receipts I've read how much brine or how strong of brine to make. The curing I've done is all dry rub so it's a direct % based on weight. 
    It's actually no different. If you cut the water down by the same amount as the other ingredients, the volume is less but the strength is exactly the same.  Was just saying that this recipe is for a very large cut of meat and there is plenty left over at that. Scale it down and save some cash on ingredients
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I know what you mean, but it's more like this: 
    say I'm following the first recipe and the container I am putting it in is a large pickle jar. 
    The space left is only enough room for say 3 cups of brine. 
    If I've only made the same brine as above with those concentrations won't I be at alot lower concentrations after my time as everything reaches equilibrium? Due to the weight of the meat and the small amount of brine?

Same with say curing a ham, if you had it in a 2 gallon bucket or a 5 gallon bucket wouldn't it end up being a lower concentration in your final product if there was enough of a meat weight?
  • 20stone
    Options
    Same with say curing a ham, if you had it in a 2 gallon bucket or a 5 gallon bucket wouldn't it end up being a lower concentration in your final product if there was enough of a meat weight?
    Smartass answer - It depends on how much brine you put in the bucket

Thoughtful answer - Yes.  If you have a tiny amount of brine and a huge cut of meat, the equilibrium will be lower salt/cure in the meat than if you have a huge bucket of brine and a tiny piece of meat.  The recipe, above, is about 10 lbs of brine for 6 lbs of meat.  I have used the same recipe (and amount) for as much as 9 lbs of meat with no issues, but you could scale if you like and be more precise.

PS - If you are trying to make pastrami in a pickle jar, you are making life harder than it needs to be.  I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-Camwear-12SFSCW135-Polycarbonate-container/dp/B01N37OMAH

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    No I'm not, but it was the best analogy I had at the moment. 

I'm just thinking that there has to be some connections from meat mass to brine volume for best results. 

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    How long do you think an eye of round would take to cure? It's been in since Tues afternoon.....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Going back in for round 3. Found a couple more nice looking floppy Meyer All natural 6-7lb briskets. One going in the drink tonight for a week and the other on the dishwasher tomorrow AM with some Spares.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Round 3 going on the BGE for a little 4-5 hour smoke then to the Sous Vide for a 36 hour bath. Sunday lunch...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well...serious curve ball. Was out hitting up some wineries and other fun spots all afternoon yesterday. Got home at 11 PM to a cold
    SV bath. Anova has shut down for some reason and I have no idea for how long. Water was 80. Not sure how frisky I am feeling about this but I fired it up again and went to bed. Guess it will be a game time decision but leaning toward trashing this one and starting over. 12 days down the tubes. 
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Epic! 
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    In honour of Little Steven and his luggage chicken (or pork according to @Zippylip )  Decided to give it a go. I’ll have some myself tonight and see if I live. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    Well...serious curve ball. Was out hitting up some wineries and other fun spots all afternoon yesterday. Got home at 11 PM to a cold
    SV bath. Anova has shut down for some reason and I have no idea for how long. Water was 80. Not sure how frisky I am feeling about this but I fired it up again and went to bed. Guess it will be a game time decision but leaning toward trashing this one and starting over. 12 days down the tubes. 
    Nooooooo!

In honour of Little Steven and his luggage chicken (or pork according to @Zippylip )  Decided to give it a go. I’ll have some myself tonight and see if I live. 
    Yeeeeeess!

Seriously, though, you’re (probably) going to kill all those bugs that we’re eating your brisket when you crank up the SV sgain...or when you steam it.

That being said, a proof of life post (newspaper optional) would be appreciated later today
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    Nooooooo!

Yeeeeeess!

Seriously, though, you’re (probably) going to kill all those bugs that we’re eating your brisket when you crank up the SV sgain...or when you steam it.

That being said, a proof of life post (newspaper optional) would be appreciated later today
    That’s what I’m thinkig as well. It was running at 2 when we left but off at 11 when we got home. The odds of it being in the danger zone for too long after being cured for a week and smoked are low enough for me to take a chance on it. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Yes! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    I am going to have to make myself some of this Oh My Goodness... 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am going to have to make myself some of this Oh My Goodness... 
    its not difficult but it is fairly time consuming. Highlly recommended. Assuming I don’t get the green-apple-quick-step from this one. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    So bookmarked.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga