Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My turkey brining vessel and how I use it

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Since T-Day is just 19 days away and since discussions have already started I thought I'd add my method.

Like most of us we just have one refrigerator and fitting a big bird inside it when space is going to be at a premium when side dishes and such start filling it up. I use this RUBBERMAID water cooler as follows:

My standby brine is one I've used for years and it credited to John Ash. It is a delicious subtle brine and works best when the bird swims in it for 4 days! Imagine the size vessel needed to completely submerge a 22 to 26 pounder and then inserted in the kitchen refrigerator hogging space!

I place a food safe plastic bag inside this cooler, insert the bird, pour the brine into the bag and seal it tight with a couple strong twistys. Then I fill the rest of the cooler with cold water, but leave room for 3 trays of ice cubes. Then before putting the top on I tape a probe type thermometer in the water so I can monitor the water temperature without removing the top. When the ice melts I merely open the spigot and drain it down so I can add more ice. BTW if you are in a colder climate like me I just keep all this in my garage for those 4 days. I seldom have to add more than 5 or 6 trays during the 4 days since that cooler is well insulated. 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I try to stay at 14 lbs so the bird will fit on my egg. I pretty much follow your drill except just use an old cooler. For 24 hours. 
  • RRP
    Options
    yljkt said:
    I try to stay at 14 lbs so the bird will fit on my egg. I pretty much follow your drill except just use an old cooler. For 24 hours. 
    I hear you. As for size - my biggest has been a 26.5 pounder in my Large. It was close, but still doable, by removing the dome thermometer first, close the dome and re-insert the thermometer. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• nutshellml
    nutshellml Posts: 166
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @RRP
    Question - so you use a large bag and put brine/turkey in that sealed, and water/ice around the bag to keep temp?  I'm around 50* during day and 30-40* at night.

RE: Josh Ash brine - the Soy Maple one, correct?

I'm thinking I'm going w/ a 18lb turkey maybe 20lb

Thanks!
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Where do you buy your ice trays?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Do you line it with a plastic bag to brine and save on clean up?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP
    Question - so you use a large bag and put brine/turkey in that sealed, and water/ice around the bag to keep temp?  I'm around 50* during day and 30-40* at night.

RE: Josh Ash brine - the Soy Maple one, correct?

I'm thinking I'm going w/ a 18lb turkey maybe 20lb

Thanks!
    Yes - turkey and brine in ONE bag. Then water and ice in the cooler AFTER the bagged bird is in there - bagged bird will float!

I thought his name was John Ash - maybe he changed it to Josh - but the brine recipe was one legendary chef herself "Cat" shared way back on November 17, 2000. Seeing that it has maple syrup and soy sauce amongst the 10 ingredients I suppose it's the same recipe, but hey 17 years later - then maybe not.
  • RRP
    Options
    Where do you buy your ice trays?
    This is a joke question - right? If so ha ha ha! 

If not they are merely the ice cube trays in our freezer plus those $%^&* crescent shaped pieces our GE ice maker spits out. 

Not sure what the issue is as the ice is on the outside of the brine bag with bird.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Are you sure you didn't use an UMAi bag?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    No - like I said - the bird and brine go in a bag and is sealed and then placed inside the cooler before the ice and water is added. I have yet to ever have a brine & bird bag break (har har har) so the water on the outside of the brining bird is clean. IOW - there is no clean up and besides I have yet to ever use that cooler for anything other than this task.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Thanks.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I assume you only have one cooler in this brand/look?   If not what is your means of signifying that this cooler could be tainted by  Salmonella?

analyze adapt overcome

• RRP
    Options
    I assume you only have one cooler in this brand/look?   If not what is your means of signifying that this cooler could be tainted by  Salmonella?
    yes 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Wait, Salmonella?  @RRP, what mitigation technique do you employ?  Thanks in advance.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Ron th aks for the info, I’m going to be stealing this.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Wait, Salmonella?  @RRP, what mitigation technique do you employ?  Thanks in advance.
    Come on, Doc...didn't you read my reply?
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Missed it, my bad.
  • Mattman3969
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I place a food safe plastic bag inside this cooler, insert the bird, pour the brine into the bag and seal it tight with a couple strong twistys. Then I fill the rest of the cooler with cold water, but leave room for 3 trays of ice cubes. Then before putting the top on I tape a probe type thermometer in the water so I can monitor the water temperature without removing the top. When the ice melts I merely open the spigot and drain it down so I can add more ice. BTW if you are in a colder climate like me I just keep all this in my garage for those 4 days. I seldom have to add more than 5 or 6 trays during the 4 days since that cooler is well insulated. 
    With liquid on the outside of the bag how are you so certain that you've never had a bag spring a leak.  Not that this matters with the brine but more so the clean up of the cooler. 
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    No - like I said - the bird and brine go in a bag and is sealed and then placed inside the cooler before the ice and water is added. I have yet to ever have a brine & bird bag break (har har har) so the water on the outside of the brining bird is clean. IOW - there is no clean up and besides I have yet to ever use that cooler for anything other than this task.
    The possibility of the slightest pinhole of a leak would scare me away from this train of thought.I seriously hope you put more effort into clean up than your post implies. 

analyze adapt overcome

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great post.  Very helpful.  Thanks!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    Options
    With liquid on the outside of the bag how are you so certain that you've never had a bag spring a leak.  Not that this matters with the brine but more so the clean up of the cooler. 
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    The possibility of the slightest pinhole of a leak would scare me away from this train of thought.I seriously hope you put more effort into clean up than your post

Obviously all all you want to do is discredit me, but in all these 17 years I have yet to have that pinhole problem that worries you so much! Besides that 4 day brine has a definite color to it so if that pinhole did occur the water on the outside would have been dis-colored. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
     Not trying to discredit you at all. I know that you would be over cautious about turkey/poultry juices in a brine.  I just wanted any new eggers not to think that any bag was fool proof.  Thank you for you participation.   Would you like to tell what type of bags you use to the newer eggers?  

analyze adapt overcome

• RRP
    Options
     Not trying to discredit you at all.
    Right...you betcha...with all the love you always throw me...

anyway...we no longer have the box to state the brand name, but the bags I've used are those FOOD SAFE bags sold to place RAW turkeys in and then placed in an oven to cook, thereby browning while cooking and keeping the juices inside the bag and your oven clean.
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    I use a XL ziploc bad inside a small cooler.  Once the bird is in the bag with the brine and sealed, I stick some of the blue freezer packs between the bag and cooler. This brings the liquid level up and over the bird and ensure it stays cool.  After the brining period, I remove the bag and cut a corner in the sink to drain it (who cares about the bag at that point) and cleanup is a breeze.
  • nutshellml
    Options
    @RRP
    How did you fit that big a bird in 5gallon jug?  My bird is 23# and don't think it will fit, may have to get the 10gallon one
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @RRP
    How did you fit that big a bird in 5gallon jug?  My bird is 23# and don't think it will fit, may have to get the 10gallon one

Sorry for your trouble, but this makes me laugh.  

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP
    yup! I never said I did - my reference later on in this thread to a 26.5# bird was about shoehorning it into my Large egg, not my 5 gal RubberMaid. BTW if I were you I wouldn't try to track down a 10 gal one - just use a chest style cooler instead - your bird should fit that. 
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @RRP
    I don't think he mentioned the size, but here is the 10gal

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collections/hydration/products/42021-10-gallon-seat-top-water-jug-with-cup-dispenser-orange
  • RRP
    Options
    Woodchunk said:
    @RRP
    I don't think he mentioned the size, but here is the one in his pic

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collections/hydration/products/42021-10-gallon-seat-top-water-jug-with-cup-dispenser-orange
    No - that link is not like mine - my initial post for this thread showed my RubberMaid which is also just a 5 gallon. 
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    RRP said:
    Woodchunk said:
    @RRP
    I don't think he mentioned the size, but here is the one in his pic

No - that link is not like mine - my initial post for this thread showed my RubberMaid which is also just a 5 gallon. 
    Ha, I was not quick enough altering my post which did not come out right. But the 10gal is there
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I use an orange homer bucket from Home Depot.  Clean it before adding the brine and turkey, and then use it for miscellaneous non food related storage.  We’ve got some filled with charcoal dust from the bottom of bags, some with leaves that’ll get layered in the compost barrel throughout the summer, some with tools, some with Xmas wrapping paper, bows, tags, etc.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD