Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Options
First attempt at Pork Belly Burnt Ends...disappointing. Didn’t like the flavor profile...think it was the Blues Hog Sauce.  Followed Malcomb Reeds recipe with exception of BBQ sauce brand.  Glaze didn’t setup well.  Will try again, 
Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sorry to read that- pics look like you were right there.  Sauce/pig who knows.  But for me the key is the texture you want to achieve.  If you hit that target then you are dead-on to be playing around with the sauce.  But way to stay after it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Sorry to read that- pics look like you were right there.  Sauce/pig who knows.  But for me the key is the texture you want to achieve.  If you hit that target then you are dead-on to be playing around with the sauce.  But way to stay after it.  
    Thanks Frank...gonna give it another shot, but these were like some of the meals on the boat when the MS would have an off day.  The saying it’ll make a turd comes to mind. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Did you make the "glaze" or just bbq sauce?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Did you make the "glaze" or just bbq sauce?
    Here’s what I used for glaze.   Very little Bourbon with exception of my glass. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Damn sorry they didn’t turn out for you.  I’ve had these a few times and they’re always a home run.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Oh well...the wings were good so we didn’t go hungry. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sorry they didn’t meet expectations. That certainly happens to me from time to time. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sorry you were reminded of the good ol' MS triumphs.  Puttin' the old nuke hat back on...did you achieve the texture?  If so then the fix is easy, if not then blame the pig and go again.  =)
    Edit:  Reason I'm continuing to inquire is that you are the first one I know of who has had a bad experience.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Heck even messing em up, I'd still eat em!  Its pork!!!  hahaha  Better luck on the next attempt!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Sorry you were reminded of the good ol' MS triumphs.  Puttin' the old nuke hat back on...did you achieve the texture?  If so then the fix is easy, if not then blame the pig and go again.  =)
    Edit:  Reason I'm continuing to inquire is that you are the first one I know of who has had a bad experience.  
    Unsure of texture since I don’t have a baseline for comparison.  The meat portion was chewier than I imagined since they’ve been described as tender morsels of palate overload.  Cooked indirect for 2.5 hours then put in aluminum pan and drizzled with honey, brown sugar & butter...wrapped with foil & put in over at 250 for 1.5 hours.  I drained & mixed glaze then put in oven uncovered for 30 min total...stirring occasionally to mix glaze thoroughly.   Here’s what they looked like before going in oven for phase II.  I used the sliced pork belly from Costco since that’s what they had at the time...not sure it’d make a difference but?  Thanks for your help Frank...I’d like to get this one right.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Sorry they didn’t meet expectations. That certainly happens to me from time to time. 
    Thanks...gonna try again.  Heard to many good things to give up on em. 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options

Jai-Bo said:
    Heck even messing em up, I'd still eat em!  Its pork!!!  hahaha  Better luck on the next attempt!
    Covered em with foil & threw in the fridge last night.  Put some Smokin Guns Rub & Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom & got em back in the oven to see if I can salvage.  If not I’ll feed the Coyotes. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    That's the Malcom Reed recipe.  I use around a 4-5 lb uncut belly then cut the cubes.  Last time I was at Costco all the bellies in the meat case were sliced.  I asked them to cut me a 4-5 lb belly.  They were happy to oblige.  BTW- I cut the cubes a little smaller than his recommendation .  I am probably in the 1"-1 1/4" size.  FWIW-
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    That's the Malcom Reed recipe.  I use around a 4-5 lb uncut belly then cut the cubes.  Last time I was at Costco all the bellies in the meat case were sliced.  I asked them to cut me a 4-5 lb belly.  They were happy to oblige.  BTW- I cut the cubes a little smaller than his recommendation .  I am probably in the 1"-1 1/4" size.  FWIW-
    Yep...I picked up the sliced bellies since that’s all they had & I also went smaller than what MR suggested.  I’ll ask them for a slab next time. I’ve tinkered with them this morning & have a good flavor profile now.  After testing a couple the texture is getting more tender so I’m leaning towards cook time was the main issue & next time I will run at higher temp...275.  Your input was greatly appreciated Captain. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Get back on the horse and try a different rub. I took it easy on the rub when I made mine. The smoke makes a good flavor profile by itself. For my glaze I used apple juice, brown sugar, and a little Sweet Baby Ray's. I finished in a Dutch Oven sealed nice and tight and braised the cubes for a couple hours. They weren't "melt in your mouth" when they were done as they were very lean to begin with, but they were falling apart without much effort. No teeth required.

My cubes were about 1" for what that's worth.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    @Teefus  Thank you...visual aids are always a big help. Gonna try 1” next time & definitely cook at higher temp & longer time.  
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    @Teefus  Thank you...visual aids are always a big help. Gonna try 1” next time & definitely cook at higher temp & longer time.  
    Here's my original thread with all the details:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206056/pork-burnt-ends-meat-candy
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Salvaged & have a good idea what to do next time.  Thanks to everyone for the comments, suggestions & most of all...encouragement.  
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Those look awesome, well done!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    lousubcap said:
    Unsure of texture since I don’t have a baseline for comparison.  The meat portion was chewier than I imagined since they’ve been described as tender morsels of palate overload.  Cooked indirect for 2.5 hours then put in aluminum pan and drizzled with honey, brown sugar & butter...wrapped with foil & put in over at 250 for 1.5 hours.  I drained & mixed glaze then put in oven uncovered for 30 min total...stirring occasionally to mix glaze thoroughly.   Here’s what they looked like before going in oven for phase II.  I used the sliced pork belly from Costco since that’s what they had at the time...not sure it’d make a difference but?  Thanks for your help Frank...I’d like to get this one right.

Glad to hear you were able to salvage them.  You are now ahead of the game in that you know what you need to do to rectify the problem.  Did you do phases II and III in the oven or in your egg?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    lousubcap said:

Glad to hear you were able to salvage them.  You are now ahead of the game in that you know what you need to do to rectify the problem.  Did you do phases II and III in the oven or in your egg?
    Only did the initial smoking phase on the Egg cause I needed to raise temp to 375 for some wings & figured it wouldn’t affect the end result since they were covered for phase II anyway.  Thanks for your help...I know what to look for next time. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options

SSQUAL612 said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    lousubcap said:

Only did the initial smoking phase on the Egg cause I needed to raise temp to 375 for some wings & figured it wouldn’t affect the end result since they were covered for phase II anyway.  Thanks for your help...I know what to look for next time. 

10-4 Good Buddy!  These photos are making me hungry.  Over and out...
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.