Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch a Turkey?

Options
Does anything think a 22lb (10 Kilos) Turkey would be too large to Spatch in my XL?

Sure is tempting.    Might cut cooktime a little and keep the skin up HIGH in the dome from burning.      

I'm getting hungry just THINKING about doing it that way.   

Comments

• Smoker317
    Options
    That might be pretty close to having part of the bird exposed to direct heat around the plate setter.  If you did spatch could you not spread the bird out to the edge of the plate setter?  I smoke 2-3 spatch turkeys a year in the 12-14 # range.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I can get a 19lb spatched bird on a LBGE.  I'm thinking it would fit just fine.  As above, if any part is outside the heat deflector make sure to foil protect.  Legs to the back-hotter back there.
    Now, if you want to make sure, run a string around the bird at the legs (widest part) measure the diameter then subtract a couple of inches for the elimination of the back-bone.  Should give you a close approximation.  
    The overall dimensions of the bird also play into the fit-long and skinny or more stocky-just to add to the puzzle  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I just did a 14# raised direct @350.. No issues with burning
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Spatchcock is the way to go, so much faster..
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    @xfire_ATX, approximately how long did that take?
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'll USE the string idea to get some 'grip' on just how large a bird I'm dealing with here.    I looked into the fridge last nite after posting and really think it's gonna be a tight fit, as spatch and maybe overhead, as well.
    I wish I had been CONSULTED first, when I'd have recommended 2 smaller birds.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @Begger- if you can't spatch (I'm sure there won't be any overhead issues) then here's a trick I used to cook a 22 lb turkey on a LBGE (non-spatched):  I pulled the fire ring and used the top of the fire box as the staging area for the platesetter.  Air gapped the drip pan and used a 17" grate to set the grid on.  Fit just fine with clearance all around.  
    You've got this.  
    BTW- Once you remove the back bone-then lay out the bird, skin side up  and push down quite hard on the bones between the two breasts.  The idea is to break the bones and flatten the entire bird.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    EggDan said:
    @xfire_ATX, approximately how long did that take?

@EggDan That 12# bird took ~2hrs.  You can get an idea on the size here.   

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I have a HUGE chicken chimney that I do turkeys on...the legs usually tuck into to drip trap so they don't get too dark.  Just gotta watch how big a turkey so the lid closes good!  Ifin I could find some small turkeys, I'd like to spatchcock one....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    I did a 13 pound spatchcocked turkey on the large this weekend. Raised direct at 350 dome. Finished in almost exactly two hours. No burning.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Begger- if you can't spatch (I'm sure there won't be any overhead issues) then here's a trick I used to cook a 22 lb turkey on a LBGE (non-spatched):  I pulled the fire ring and used the top of the fire box as the staging area for the platesetter.  Air gapped the drip pan and used a 17" grate to set the grid on.  Fit just fine with clearance all around.  
    You've got this.  
    BTW- Once you remove the back bone-then lay out the bird, skin side up  and push down quite hard on the bones between the two breasts.  The idea is to break the bones and flatten the entire bird.  FWIW-
    This is a fine idea and I'm reading it TOO LATE for Thanksgiving.

But?   My idea was to install plate setter legs 'up'.    I DO HAVE spacers which are 6" long 'corner pieces' of ceramic.    I place them 'Vee Down' and in a radial pattern.    THAN I use another ceramic on TOP of that.    Even that 1/2" or so air-gap is all to the good.  
    That ends up setting the roasting pan 1" to 2" BELOW the grate level.   Top of bird slows down some and it cooks more evenly, I HOPE.   

I've done Spatch before and it is a Wonder.  

For Jai-Bo?      I think if I could find a 12lb turkey, I could 'beercan' a pair of 'em in my XL.   
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    My first. Turned out great and beat out the oven baked turkey as well as the ham!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE