Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish Filets on the Egg

Options
Jupiter Jim
Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night KayNOcook had to work late and I was on my own for dinner!!!
Took some filets of Atlantic Croker, Sheepshead, and Sea Trout, sprayed with olive oil, dusted with DP Raging River on each side, got the egg up to 325, put the Lodge round cast iron grddle on the grate.
Browned each side of the filets and ohoooooooooo they were soooo good. Had a salad with vidalia sweet onion Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing that we got at the Lane Packing Company in Georga. (Exit #142 on I 75 a great place open daily all year and worth your time and they have a web site)
Tonight I did it all again and KayNOcook told me it was one of the best ever fish cooks that I have done and I've been cooking fish for her some 18 years now.
I don't post much but just had to share this with everyone.
Sorry no pictures and my smell-a-view is also not working.
Wishing many great cooks on Eggs world wide.
Jupiter Jim ;)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Exit #142. Is that north or south of Atlanta? How far?
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    It is south of Atlanta, and west of I75 5 miles and worth the trip only 5 or 6 minutest.
    They have a great soup and salad bar and a nice restaurant. A great peach cobbler with peach ice cream, fresh peaches and veggies in the summer, pecans in the fall and winter, a small gift shop, bakery yummy, peach salsa and more and more and Grandma Kauffman's pineapple salsa that is to die for :laugh: . We got 6 last trip and only have 4 left :( .
    KayNOcook says it is a great place and be sure to get at least 6 jars of Wickles pickles before you leave a sweet hot bread and butter pickle. :)
    Hope this helps Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    Sounds great, I love pan-fried fish. I'll be trying that out real soon.
  • Driller
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why do it on the Egg?  Wouldn't it be essentially the same on the stove top?  I would not think the time in the Egg would be enough to impart any kind of flavor.
    Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Driller said:
    Out of curiosity, why do it on the Egg?  Wouldn't it be essentially the same on the stove top?  I would not think the time in the Egg would be enough to impart any kind of flavor.
    I have been surprised how much flavor fish absorbs in a very short cook time.  I have always cooked on the wide cast iron grates, though.  One flip only.  Doesn't fall apart, tastes great.

Spray grates. Put the fish on flesh side down. Give it a little slide to break the initial stick-age.  Flip when the color is right, on to the skin side (even if the skin isn't there) and cook until done.  The skin (or even the minimal fat if the skin was removed) will protect the fish while you finish the cook.  You've already seared the top so it'll look pretty and taste better.  Mmmmm...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I do most things of my frying outside, don't have to worry about the smoke or mess.  Probably if I had a stove fan that went outside it would be different, but sure is nice to crank the heat outside.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great idea @Jupiter Jim, and thank you for the info. I love all things peach, and fish on the BGE is awesome. I will try that spot off I 75, for sure. About 150 miles south of Atlanta metro?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Sounds killer!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love it when ancient treasures are reserected.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Even after 9 yrs....
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Blast from the past @Jupiter Jim
    Great to hear you are still Egging strong. Simplicity is wonderful when you cook the food perfectly. Thanks for sprinkling our stuff on your hard-earned food! Cheers
    Chris  

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Grill Grates to the rescue.
  • Driller
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Driller said:
    I have been surprised how much flavor fish absorbs in a very short cook time.  I have always cooked on the wide cast iron grates, though.  One flip only.  Doesn't fall apart, tastes great.

Spray grates. Put the fish on flesh side down. Give it a little slide to break the initial stick-age.  Flip when the color is right, on to the skin side (even if the skin isn't there) and cook until done.  The skin (or even the minimal fat if the skin was removed) will protect the fish while you finish the cook.  You've already seared the top so it'll look pretty and taste better.  Mmmmm...
    What temp do you have it?
    Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Driller said:
    KiterTodd said:

What temp do you have it?
    I don't really check. This would be a similar setup as you'd use for grilling hamburgers.  Maybe 350-375?  Fish cooks so quick that you are checking it regularly.

I have done it raised direct, but now I usually just cook at the standard ring height so that I get nice char/grill marks on a quick cook.

Before you flip it, spray the top of the fish with oil.  Once I flip it, if it's a strong tasting fish I'll hit it with lemon or lime for the 2nd half of the cook.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,183
    Options
    Eating a fried apple pie from Lanes right now. Good stuff.