Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey setup idea

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of trying something a little different with my setup for cooking turkey. Maybe someone has tried this and can chip in with thoughts. Plate setter legs up, shallow drip pan say 2" deep raised up off the surface of the setter to prevent scorching, Grid set on the top of the setter legs, and the bird set on the grid. The idea here is to get more airflow to the underside of the bird than when it sits down in a roasting pan while still having gravy fixins. Any thoughts? -RP

Comments

• AZRP,
    as long as it all fits on the dome, it should be fine....or you could go with my basic set up, but with the turkey in a v-rack that gets it up higher out of the roasting pan...either one should work, and still provide you with good drippings. ..and if it looks like the drippings are drying up/scorching, just simply add some apple juice or some turkey broth to the pan to keep liquid in there. ...

• AZRP
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    When I've used the v rack in the roasting pan, the underside of the bird ends up a pale color instead of the golden brown on the rest of the bird. When I've cooked turkey on a WSM, the bird sat on the upper grid and the drip pan on the lower one. The turkey would have a nice golden brown color all the way around. Just a presentation thing cause either way the bird is cooked. -RP

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Being Canadian, I just finished my Thanksgiving this past weekend.[p]I used pretty much the setup that has been described, plate setter legs up, drip pan (raised off the setter with the egg's "feet" to prevent scorching) and an 18# turkey sitting in a v-rack on the grid that is placed on the setter. It worked just fine, and everyone loved the turkey with just a hint of apple smoke. The drippings were made into a great gravy, again, with just a hint of smoke. [p]I didn't have any problem with the drippings drying, but that may be because I seem to have had a fairly fatty bird, thus lots of fat rendered into the pan...
  • T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    FV-Egger,
    When you say, "raised off the setter with the egg's "feet" to prevent scorching", do you mean the 3 green feet the the entire egg should be sitting on? I assume they would be good in the heat of the egg as well?? Just curious?[p]Thx,
    T-Que

• T-Que,[p]Yes, that's exactly what I mean. While, yes, they do get hot too, its just portions of the drip tray that will get warmer instead of the whole bottom getting as hot as the plate setter. Of course, I am assuming that you have a nest or something of the like so that your egg is not sitting on it. If you are using them for the egg itself, some small pieces of fire brick or something like that would work just as well.[p]Hope that helps![p]FV
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    AZRP,
    i use a similar setup with fire bricks, pan and a grill raised over the pan. they seem to cook faster, 10-12 minutes a pound in my egg, might have something to do with the air flow, and the fact its farther away from the lower liquid temps. when i cook the bird down in the pan its always over 15 minutes per pound

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    That's how I do it, AZRP. Sometimes I put it on a "turkey lifter" so that it is easy to remove. JCA

[ul][li]Turkey lifter.[/ul]
  • AZRP
    J Appledog,
    Great idea, 20+lbs would be a tough with tongs. -RP

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    IMG_1160.jpg
    <p />J Appledog,
    by golly you have the Cadillac version and I have the simple Nova ones - but then I use mine for maneuvering pork butts in and out of Mr. Egg too.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Where'd you get those, RRP? JCA

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    J Appledog,
    as I recall just the kitchen gadget aisle at a grocery store. They are simple, but awfully handy.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FV-Egger,
    I never thought about using the egg feet. A tip I picked up here long ago that has worked well for me are 90 degree half inch copper pipe fittings. I put one under each corner of the drip-pan, and one under the center. They cool off quickly when done, and do a great job of keeping the drippings from whatever I'm cooking from burning up in the pan.[p]HTH.[p]- Mike

• AZRP,[p]i stand mine up like a beer but chicken. at wally world i got a chrome standup papertowel holder that i tacke welded a couple of prongs near the top. these prongs stab into the turkey.the loop at the top of the holder goes out through the neck end and is a loop i can carry it by.
    works well, easy to turn the turkey to get even browning.[p]it stand up in and sets on a pie can on the place setter,